Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: What Pokemon Go team did you choose?
    Team Valor (Red)
    33.10%
    Team Mystic (Blue)
    46.57%
    Team Instinct (Yellow)
    20.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Had an amazring haul at lunch today :dance:

Got a Slowpoke (Slowbro93) a Psyduck, a Meowth, loads of voltorbs, an electrode, loads of magenemite, a magnetron, a nidorina, a krabby, a growlithe, a magikarp (:love:), and a horsea

Should I focus of evolving my pokemon now or should I wait? Should I max out their CP or before evolving or not bother?
    I'd just focus on gathering pidgeys, caterpies and weedles as they only need 12 candies to evolve, also zubats. Store them all up until you have around 160 candies of each, plus 10-15 of each pokemon in your bag. Pop a lucky egg and then evolve everything within that 30 minutes of double xp, each evolution will be 1k experience and you shoot right up - its the most efficient way to level! :woo:

A 30 minute evolving stint with a lucky egg can easily net you 40-50k experience, and you get given new eggs at certain levels so you can hop from threshold to threshold, only being held back by needing to collect all the pokemon and candies beforehand :awesome:

Once you've hit a high trainer level (around 15+) you'll start to see naturally-high pokemon in the wild, like 500 CP and above - catching those will mean you spend less resources on leveling up weaker pokemon caught back when you were level 5-10, I've only just started to power up pokemon and I'm level 17

edit: re: powering up pokemon before or after evolving them... I have no idea would love to know if anyone's experimented! It seems evolving increases CP by a multiple of the original pokemon's CP, influenced by whether its a 12, 25 or 50 candy evolution.. part of me thinks we should be powering up pokemon to their caps before evolving them for the greatest multiple, but I'm not sure :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Boyfriend and I went out to poke hunt today too (sun seems to have got us all out*) caught some goodies - Sandshrew, Jigglypuff, Jynx, Cubone and Squirtle! Also managed to finally evolve a Fearow with all those damn Spearow candies aha and evolved a Polywhirl.

My actual Pokemon haul today (including a million pidgeys etc) was just over 60 *
    Started the day level 10, ending the day 2000 XP short of level 15

Yaaaaaaaas *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Jealousssss

I've just been focusing on powerleveling for now, spent 3 hours cycling around pokestops in my local park today and got up to level 17.5 :headbang:
    Wow that's amazing! Also a good way to hatch eggs. If it makes you feel better this is the first time I caught some interesting pokemon instead of the common ones. I went to my nearest large city because there is just nothing where I live, the closest poke-stop next to my house is 30 minutes away, and it's the only one. I also wasted all of my poke-bals on weedles, zumbats and rattatas so whilst I was just beginning my hunt today I missed out on a meowth, jynx, eevee and a tentacruel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleming1928)
    Wow that's amazing! Also a good way to hatch eggs. If it makes you feel better this is the first time I caught some interesting pokemon instead of the common ones. I went to my nearest large city because there is just nothing where I live, the closest poke-stop next to my house is 30 minutes away, and it's the only one. I also wasted all of my poke-bals on weedles, zumbats and rattatas so whilst I was just beginning my hunt today I missed out on a meowth, jynx, eevee and a tentacruel
    I feel your pain, my nearest pokestop is 5 minutes walk away but its a water tower, not something you can hang out at easily! I've been taking day trips into the city parks and city centre to collect resources as well :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I'd just focus on gathering pidgeys, caterpies and weedles as they only need 12 candies to evolve, also zubats. Store them all up until you have around 160 candies of each, plus 10-15 of each pokemon in your bag. Pop a lucky egHug and then evolve everything within that 30 minutes of double xp, each evolution will be 1k experience and you shoot right up - its the most efficient way to level! :woo:

A 30 minute evolving stint with a lucky egg can easily net you 40-50k experience, and you get given new eggs at certain levels so you can hop from threshold to threshold, only being held back by needing to collect all the pokemon and candies beforehand :awesome:

Once you've hit a high trainer level (around 15+) you'll start to see naturally-high pokemon in the wild, like 500 CP and above - catching those will mean you spend less resources on leveling up weaker pokemon caught back when you were level 5-10, I've only just started to power up pokemon and I'm level 17

edit: re: powering up pokemon before or after evolving them... I have no idea would love to know if anyone's experimented! It seems evolving increases CP by a multiple of the original pokemon's CP, influenced by whether its a 12, 25 or 50 candy evolution.. part of me thinks we should be powering up pokemon to their caps before evolving them for the greatest multiple, but I'm not sure :beard:
    The maximum cp is the same for the same pokemon. You can see this by looking at your multiple pidgeots and raticates which you no dout have by now. So no it won't make a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    The maximum cp is the same for the same pokemon. You can see this by looking at your multiple pidgeots and raticates which you no dout have by now. So no it won't make a difference
    No I know that, the question is whether you can reach the max CP cheaper by first upgrading your pokemon and THEN evolving them. Because if evolving is calculated as a multiple of starting CP then theoretically any powering up you do before an evolution would be also multiplied when you evolve.

Obviously you'd have to be careful you didn't power up too high so as to waste CP when you evolved and hit the ceiling, and for that reason it's probably best to simply evolve naturally 66-75% CP pokemon and then power them up to the cap - at least until someone develops a formula for calculating the optimal way

ReputationRep:
    so evolve first, then power up?
    Or otherway round?

ReputationRep:
    No I know that, the question is whether you can reach the max CP cheaper by first upgrading your pokemon and THEN evolving them. Because if evolving is calculated as a multiple of starting CP then theoretically any powering up you do before an evolution would be also multiplied when you evolve.

Obviously you'd have to be careful you didn't power up too high so as to waste CP when you evolved and hit the ceiling, and for that reason it's probably best to simply evolve naturally 66-75% CP pokemon and then power them up to the cap - at least until someone develops a formula for calculating the optimal way
    While I agree with what you're saying, there's also the fact that some people get "luckier" evolutions. For example, a friend of mine evolved a CP 330 Eevee and received a CP 900 Vaporeon, while I evolved a CP 380 Eevee and receive a CP 770 Jolteon (this could be due to the differences between Vaporeon and Jolteon, but as they're both Eeveelutions I'm assuming their levels should be similar). In this example, the CP of the pre-evolved Pokemon does not seem to play a part in the CP of the evolved Pokemon.

AFAIK, the CP bar of the Pokemon should remain stationary during an evolution, so if it was 75% full before the evolution, it should remain 75% full afterwards. However, you then need to take into account the amount of candies and stardust increases at higher CP, so it may be more efficient to level them up prior to evolution.

Edit: ugh 50k per level now

ReputationRep:
    There's a Pokéstop close enough to work to collect items from my desk

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody finding the distance tracking to be dodgy, and I don't mean the inaccuracy of GPS meaning you can hatch without ever moving

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd just focus on gathering pidgeys, caterpies and weedles as they only need 12 candies to evolve, also zubats. Store them all up until you have around 160 candies of each, plus 10-15 of each pokemon in your bag. Pop a lucky egg and then evolve everything within that 30 minutes of double xp, each evolution will be 1k experience and you shoot right up - its the most efficient way to level! :woo:

Thats such a good idea!:O thanks for the tip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is anybody finding the distance tracking to be dodgy, and I don't mean the inaccuracy of GPS meaning you can hatch without ever moving

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sadly my phone is too accurate for that

edit: ah got what you mean, yeah I've found egg hatching to take far greater distances than google maps says it should.. bit annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    While I agree with what you're saying, there's also the fact that some people get "luckier" evolutions. For example, a friend of mine evolved a CP 330 Eevee and received a CP 900 Vaporeon, while I evolved a CP 380 Eevee and receive a CP 770 Jolteon (this could be due to the differences between Vaporeon and Jolteon, but as they're both Eeveelutions I'm assuming their levels should be similar). In this example, the CP of the pre-evolved Pokemon does not seem to play a part in the CP of the evolved Pokemon.

AFAIK, the CP bar of the Pokemon should remain stationary during an evolution, so if it was 75% full before the evolution, it should remain 75% full afterwards. However, you then need to take into account the amount of candies and stardust increases at higher CP, so it may be more efficient to level them up prior to evolution.

Edit: ugh 50k per level now
    Ah that's interesting and makes sense, so its impossible to waste resources by 'over leveling'

Nice one! So you're what, level 21? What's the plan now?

ReputationRep:
    Sadly my phone is too accurate for that
    You just need to be in the right sort of building, or have the right weather, and the accuracy is gone. Normally my phone is fine but occasionally indoors it will travel a quarter of a mile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm level 9 now and unfortunately, I only have 20% of data left for this month...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    I'm level 9 now and unfortunately, I only have 20% of data left for this month...
    Whaaa, not from pokemon go though? Mine's only consumed a few hundred MBs

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand pokestops. When I click on one ot just says something like "pub name" with a picture and that's it. Aren't they supposed to drop stuff? Mind you I'm only level 4. Haven't had time to get into it wuth the servers keeping on going down and patchy GPS/internet (I'm pretty rural here) properly plus my phone got so hot today playing it I could barely touch it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ButterflyEl)
    I don't understand pokestops. When I click on one ot just says something like "pub name" with a picture and that's it. Aren't they supposed to drop stuff? Mind you I'm only level 4. Haven't had time to get into it wuth the servers keeping on going down and patchy GPS/internet (I'm pretty rural here) properly plus my phone got so hot today playing it I could barely touch it.
    You spin the picture to get a reward.

ReputationRep:
    Reached level 10 today :ahee:

(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Had an amazring haul at lunch today :dance:

Got a Slowpoke (Slowbro93) a Psyduck, a Meowth, loads of voltorbs, an electrode, loads of magenemite, a magnetron, a nidorina, a krabby, a growlithe, a magikarp (:love:), and a horsea

Should I focus of evolving my pokemon now or should I wait? Should I max out their CP or before evolving or not bother?
    :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    So far I've got a Pikachu and a Ponyta from eggs

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.