A Level Results: Post Your Results (AS)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    Lol you do realise that unless you're applying to Cambridge, LSE or UCL Maths, no one cares about UMS?
    Why would he apply anywhere else for math than trinity college cambridge, imperial or ucl??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsMPhys)
    Why would he apply anywhere else for math than trinity college cambridge, imperial or ucl??
    Ermmmm why wouldn't he? Warwick maths are far superior to UCL maths and don't give a damn about UMS. In fact, some even put them above Imperial Maths.

Imperial maths don't ask for UMS either - a strong MAT performance is the main thing for them. He needs to stop worrying about ums lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    Ermmmm why wouldn't he? Warwick maths are far superior to UCL maths and don't give a damn about UMS. In fact, some even put them above Imperial Maths.

Imperial maths don't ask for UMS either - a strong MAT performance is the main thing for them. He needs to stop worrying about ums lol
    Warwick math is top knotch ngl i think theyre one of best cam oxf imp warwick id say are best places for math

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfcFob)
    Biology-A
    Law-B
    Maths-B
    Psychology-B
    I'm currently picking my A levels and thinking of doing maths, do you mind telling me what you got in GCSE maths?? I got a verryyyy low A so I don't know if I will be able to do it, as in get a good grade for A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valdokarina)
    I'm currently picking my A levels and thinking of doing maths, do you mind telling me what you got in GCSE maths?? I got a verryyyy low A so I don't know if I will be able to do it, as in get a good grade for A levels.
    I got both A's in normal maths and FM (normal maths I was 6 marks off an A*)

With an A in maths you should be fine, especially if you like algebra and pure maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valdokarina)
    I got an A in Maths GCSE and was second set in a public school, I got an A at A-Level Maths. You'll be fine :-)

EDIT: State school not public school... damn English language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieranfb)
    I got an A in Maths GCSE and was second set in a public school, I got an A at A-Level Maths. You'll be fine :-)
    State school or public school? Because public school = Eton, Harrow, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    State school or public school? Because public school = Eton, Harrow, etc
    Oh crap yeah. I meant to say state school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieranfb)
    Oh crap yeah. I meant to say state school.
    work your butt off , honestly don't worry about what other people think of you just go library during frees , revise/practise everyday, don't do what i did and mess up first year and hope for adjustment, i'm lucky that the others don't count but maths did so i have to retake like 2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any chemistry or biology cgp textbooks they want to sell or even psycolgy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1226)
    Does anyone have any chemistry or biology cgp textbooks they want to sell or even psycolgy?
    No but I think Amazon or eBay will have sellers who offer them at low prices

ReputationRep:
    AS:
    Maths predicted A /achieved A
    Further maths predicted A / Achieved A
    Physics Predicted A/ achieved A
    Chemistry predicted A / Achieved A
    Biology predicted A / achieved A
    A2 preditions A* for all of them as i averaged 97% of the marks at AS which is far far beyond A* plus predicted A* in economics which i took as i thought A level was too easy..self taught myself the A2 maths and further maths in 4 weeks during summer already sat the mocks at school averaged 88%,

Hopefully go to oxford or imperial to study math

ReputationRep:
    AS:
    Maths predicted A /achieved A
    Further maths predicted A / Achieved A
    Physics Predicted A/ achieved A
    Chemistry predicted A / Achieved A
    Biology predicted A / achieved A
    A2 preditions A* for all of them as i averaged 97% of the marks at AS which is far far beyond A* plus predicted A* in economics which i took as i thought A level was too easy..self taught myself the A2 maths and further maths in 4 weeks during summer already sat the mocks at school averaged 88%,

Hopefully go to oxford or imperial to study math
    Damn.. thats really good.
    Im also doing Biology chemistry and maths at A2. Dropped Physics at AS (with a C grade)
    how do you do it?
    Im aiming for 2A*A in Bio Chem Maths.
    But not sure how to ensure i secure them grades. Ive started proper revision earlier this time although..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobwibbles)
    Damn.. thats really good.
    Im also doing Biology chemistry and maths at A2. Dropped Physics at AS (with a C grade)
    how do you do it?
    Im aiming for 2A*A in Bio Chem Maths.
    But not sure how to ensure i secure them grades. Ive started proper revision earlier this time although..
    always been really good at math and physics, tbh math I do everyday or every other day, so I just became fluent in it same with physics and chemistry and biology I just memorized the entire text book through and through, also participating in Olympiads you learn a few tricks from other clever people on how they see different problems if I didn't miss out few marks in bio cus would've averaged 100% across the board though, some one I know got 100% across the board in same subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfcFob)
    I got both A's in normal maths and FM (normal maths I was 6 marks off an A*)

With an A in maths you should be fine, especially if you like algebra and pure maths
    A level mathematics doesnt have much pure maths in it... people often get mathematical methods which is A level math with actual pure math which is more like linear algebra, proofs and analysis.

ReputationRep:
    A level mathematics doesnt have much pure maths in it... people often get mathematical methods which is A level math with actual pure math which is more like linear algebra, proofs and analysis.
    How many marks did you get in econ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citibankrec)
    How many marks did you get in econ
    Not too great in economics i averaged about 65 in it but i taught myself the whole economics A level during summer same with further maths as my school doesnt teach it to me... i averaged 95% in the Fm but the economics brought my average down to 88% but im not too worried about it economics is kinda of easy... i know 65 still an A but its kinda annoying not getting 95% + when its kinda of a regular thing in your other subject

ReputationRep:
    A level mathematics does have a decent amount of pure maths. C1, C2 etc are pure modules they used to be called P1, P2, its in the name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarCoatedCart)
    A level mathematics does have a decent amount of pure maths. C1, C2 etc are pure modules they used to be called P1, P2, its in the name.
    Its not 'pure mathematics' its called mathematicak methods.. pure mathematics is more like analysis, linear algebra...mathematical methods is more useful to physicists and engineers while pure math focuses more on proof and logic..but people call it pure as thats the closest to pure maths you get before uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonametosee)
    Got A*AA at AS
    You got an A* in AS...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLikP6BDH5w

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.