Chess games

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    That's some extremely accurate play... virtually 100% computer agreement....
    To be fair my mistakes were blindingly obvious to someone thinking at all - an activity which tends to elude my participation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    To be fair my mistakes were blindingly obvious to someone thinking at all - an activity which tends to elude my participation.

(Original post by EnglishMuon)
    'semi' pro? How does one become 'semi' pro in chess? casual competitions ?

Ya got me, I cheated, set up windows chess on my laptop and put diddly's moves in then replaced that with my own on lichess. I concede

(Yes)

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm a 2220 ranked juinor player. Anyone interested in 1 game?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Convex)
    Hey guys. I'm a 2220 ranked juinor player. Anyone interested in 1 game?
    If you spot me a rook...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    probs still lose tbh

ReputationRep:
    this is interesting how does one play with another person ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    this is interesting how does one play with another person ?
    go on lichess.org
    Set up a game using "play with a friend"
    Give them the link

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants to play vs me here: https://lichess.org/WiEejP4v I rarely lose

ReputationRep:
    go on lichess.org
    Set up a game using "play with a friend"
    Give them the link
    thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    'semi' pro? How does one become 'semi' pro in chess? casual competitions ?
    okay we can play now 15 minutes each way no seconds added. do you want me to set up the board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    If anyone wants to play vs me here: https://lichess.org/WiEejP4v I rarely lose
    I'll if you want (:

ReputationRep:
    If you spot me a rook...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    probs still lose tbh
    Morphy spotted a rook all the time and still crushed everyone XD.
    If you can avoid blundering and restrict him from getting lots of piece activity with gambits etc. you may actually stand a chance. No one can win a rook down in the endgame.

ReputationRep:
    Morphy spotted a rook all the time and still crushed everyone XD.
    If you can avoid blundering and restrict him from getting lots of piece activity with gambits etc. you may actually stand a chance. No one can win a rook down in the endgame.
    I wonder what Morphy's FIDE rating would have been...it is hard to determine with such relatively weak opposition - although he often plays the computer move supposedly

I'd like to think I could beat people at least partway into the early 2000s in such circumstances if I focused enough and it was a somewhat long game. Rook odds must be worth a lot of effective rating points, though obviously the earlier in the game, the less it matters.

I've played two masters OTB, around 2200 and 2300. In former case I stupidly blundered in the Queen's Gambit Accepted losing very quickly; in the latter it was rather boring and I got into an endgame maybe two pawns down then obviously got rekt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
    Matrix123 , if you want to play now: https://lichess.org/CB4ZILw3
    K-Man_PhysCheM are you up for that game now?

ReputationRep:
    Got my tactics up to 1850 on chess.com but still losing most blitz games by moving immediately, blundering into a tactic then instantly resigning.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what Morphy's FIDE rating would have been...it is hard to determine with such relatively weak opposition - although he often plays the computer move supposedly

I'd like to think I could beat people at least partway into the early 2000s in such circumstances if I focused enough and it was a somewhat long game. Rook odds must be worth a lot of effective rating points, though obviously the earlier in the game, the less it matters.

I've played two masters OTB, around 2200 and 2300. In former case I stupidly blundered in the Queen's Gambit Accepted losing very quickly; in the latter it was rather boring and I got into an endgame maybe two pawns down then obviously got rekt.
    Are those two the masters in Warwick that you mentioned and are they first year students there?

ReputationRep:
    Are those two the masters in Warwick that you mentioned and are they first year students there?
    Indeed (well, about to be second years of course)

ReputationRep:
    Indeed (well, about to be second years of course)
    Wow that's impressive, guess they had many opportunities to play OTB in tournaments etc. when they were young though. Do they study maths there or something else?

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's impressive, guess they had many opportunities to play OTB in tournaments etc. when they were young though. Do they study maths there or something else?
    They'd certainly been playing since very young (wish I had...pretty much first played chess actually knowing all the rules and with any seriousness at sixteen). I don't recall asking but I've seen them both in lots of maths lectures so I would imagine so. I think Maths is certainly the most popular in the society; this also seems to be the case in Snooker and Pool which I'm in as well.

Just played a model Sicilian game as Black lol (well, to be more accurate, my opponent played a howler). Very aesthetic finish. A single inaccuracy (16. ...Rc8) and nothing more on my part according to the computer, which slightly eases the pain of multiple games lost in one move blunders.

https://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=1705154104

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    K-Man_PhysCheM are you up for that game now?
    Oh hey, sorry, my notifications didn't work?!?! Are you able to play this evening, Matrix123?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
    Oh hey, sorry, my notifications didn't work?!?! Are you able to play this evening, Matrix123?
    It's alright, mine aren't either...
    I should be free from just after 10pm if that's alright with you
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.