The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzyambee)
    Is anyone here doing OCR 21st Century science? I'm writing my revision notes at the moment from a cgp revision guide but was wondering if it is worth buying a textbook instead?
    No, the cgp book is much better than a textbook! You can, however complement your cgp book by using videos from youtube and doing lots of past papers! Printing off the specification might also be useful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I wish I was in Y11 so much

Enjoy it while it lasts!
    What year are you in?
    I miss yr 11 too! It was really good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    What year are you in?
    I miss yr 11 too! It was really good...
    Y13 man it's hard

Which year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was in Y11 so much

Enjoy it while it lasts!
    A part of me wishes I was doing A-level.

Another part of me thinks the other is insane :P

ReputationRep:
    Y13 man it's hard

Which year are you in?
    Yr12- I don't really like it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zxrxh)
    Theres different topics that are more complicated
    Ah well I'm sure you will still do really well! I got an A* in English lang and lit, and an A in maths. I know the spec has changed, however I am doing a level maths so I could give you some advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesco_16)
    Hi, I'm Francesco.

By the end of year 11 I would have 11 GCSEs and 1 AS:
    Maths (Edexcel)
    English Language (AQA)
    English Literature (AQA)
    Biology (AQA)
    Chemistry (AQA)
    Physics (AQA)
    German (Edexcel)
    Italian (Edexcel)
    History (OCR)
    Computing (OCR)
    RS - Philosophy and Ethics (OCR) - I have done this in year 10 and got an A*

I am also doing an AS in Critical Thinking (OCR)

Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?
    I hope so!

What's your favourite subject(s)?
    German and Physics because I find them really enjoyable and I like the teachers.

What's your dream career? (If you don't know that's completely fine, we're only in Year 11 so you still have time to think.)
    I would like to be a Chemical Engineer or a Commercial Airline pilot.

I'm doing as critical thinking too! have you done the unit 1 exam yet or do you do them both in May?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Far too high, an A* on the current spec was 55/80 (50/80 for an A, 45 for a B, 40 for a C) this year and a few marks higher last year (57/80 for an A*, 51 for an A, 45 for a B etc.). I wouldn't think that Lang grade boundaries will take that much of a hit, it's mainly Lit that has got harder with the reforms.

I honestly have no idea what to aim for, although I intend to smash the creative writing sections, since they are easy marks.
    For our year 10 English language mock we had to get 72/80 for a 9 and 62/80 for an 8 I think.. But that was just comparing our school's grades it could well be lower when considering the whole country though I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)

I felt the same when I was in Y11! It seems so much more enjoyable to do few subjects of which you hope to enjoy!

The reality is far bleaker, although Y12 is good (but stressful) fun.

Yr12- I don't really like it...
    I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying Y12 if you want any help with work (I do maths, politics and history - used to do biology) or just general support just message/tag me!

ReputationRep:
    I felt the same when I was in Y11! It seems so much more enjoyable to do few subjects of which you hope to enjoy!

The reality is far bleaker, although Y12 is good (but stressful) fun.

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying Y12 if you want any help with work (I do maths, politics and history - used to do biology) or just general support just message/tag me!
    Thank so much- do you have any advice for a level maths?
    Also, it's not like I hate yr 12, it's alright- it's just that I don't particularly like it...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you; you are very kind!

ReputationRep:
    Thank so much- do you have any advice for a level maths?
    Also, it's not like I hate yr 12, it's alright- it's just that I don't particularly like it...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you; you are very kind!
    Do literally every different looking question in the textbook, every past paper and watch loads of exam solutions if you get stuck!

Also spending time with your teacher is a lot of help! Not only do you get more time with a teacher, but it's more personal and a good relationship with them is GREAT for your UCAS reference!

Which bits of maths are you not enjoying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)

LOL i thought exactly the same in yr 11! Although it is good to do few subjects which you enjoy, I sometimes miss doing more subjects as it gives more variety. I also miss doing subjects that I enjoyed, but I just didn't want to do them at a level!

ReputationRep:
    Do literally every different looking question in the textbook, every past paper and watch loads of exam solutions if you get stuck!

Also spending time with your teacher is a lot of help! Not only do you get more time with a teacher, but it's more personal and a good relationship with them is GREAT for your UCAS reference!

Which bits of maths are you not enjoying?
    Well it just all seems boring... I know this is stupid, but I have heard about a level maths being REALLY hard, so I keep thinking I won't be able to get a good grade...

ReputationRep:
    Well it just all seems boring...
    Fair enough! Doing it with friends makes it more bearable if you dislike a subject! Or just listening to your favourite music while you work

ReputationRep:
    Did you the pixl paper's for language?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well it just all seems boring... I know this is stupid, but I have heard about a level maths being REALLY hard, so I keep thinking I won't be able to get a good grade...
    It is hard but if you keep on top of it, maths won't get on top of you! (that sounds wrong lmao but hey ho)

Treat every test like the real exam and you'll fly through! Particularly with maths, you need to understand it as you learn it. You can't afford to put it off until may.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough! Doing it with friends makes it more bearable if you dislike a subject! Or just listening to your favourite music while you work
    Yep good idea- I do love my music!

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs I'm taking:
    - Maths (aqa)
    - English lit (aqa)
    - English language (not sure if it's wjec or aqa, is it meant to be the same as lit?)
    - Physics (aqa)
    - RE (aqa)
    - Sports science (it's the Cambridge thing, only controlled assessments and that left)
    - History (aqa)
    - ICT (edexcel)

GCSEs I've done:
    - Chemistry (A*)
    - Biology (A)
    - Sports science (the exam paper (M2 = B))

My favourite subjects are chemistry, biology and maths.

I'm considering taking chemistry, biology, maths at A level. I'm not sure if I should take either psychology or further maths though, or if I should even do biology.

The subject I'm stuck on right now is ICT. is anyone doing the prom cab? it's so difficult for me especially since my teacher thinks I'm like the smartest in the class and quote "the thing is if you're struggling with the work then how can anyone else do it?" seriously. the deadlines the 20th October for activity 1 and 2 I hope I get it done right.

another subject I not like is history. at least we completed one controlled assessment, which are the worst btw, but there's part b left which we are doing soon.

I have a few weeks before I can worry about sports science controlled assessment though so lucky me. looks like I'm the worst at controlled assessments.

ReputationRep:
    Is any good at physics and could please help me understand how a motor works? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing that ECDL course, because my teacher told me it was compulsory, but I want to know if it really is, or how important it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.