Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Language B - ENB5 - The Big Pre-release Thread! watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which pack of pre-release are you focusing on?
    The Pendle Witches
    27.43%
    Dyslexia
    41.59%
    Both
    30.97%

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the pack is aimed at 9-11 year olds. Didn't you read the question?!

I did a brief history first, then just described the story 'narrative prose' style, with little side captions and bits of information. (I did an indication of layout at the end).

I had boxes with information like "What is a witch?" and "Why were they hanged?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairylight)
    yeah, me too, people in my school used richard branson, tom cruise or other celebrities from the texts to present the script hopefullyyy, we've done okay though, fingers crossed! still seems like we're the only few question 3'ers! i did lovee the question though
    yeah we should be okay i'm sure
    haha i know, but it was a quality question, especially with everything that was discussed on here, some other ppl might show up saying they did Question 3 who knows..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer_Lovin)
    I did question 4 too
    I did four sections 'what is dyslexia?' 'how do I know if my child has dyslexia'? 'how can i help my child at home?' and 'choosing the right school'
    And I did exactly 200 words for the commentary! lol
    wow i did almost the exact same sections and titles as you. I completely forgot about the commentary though untill the last 4-5 mins. I only managed to write about 75 words lol which is kinda but the commentary is only worth 10 marks and the actual editorial i wrote went reeeeeeeally well so hopefully my POOR commentary won't affect my results too bad. Its one of those exams where you can't even predict how well you've done..a simple mis-read of the question and you're screwed. I'm really hoping i did well since i'm gonna fail language change on thurs

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't I choose a bloody easier question, or better still, revised both packs lol.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god I did question 2 - :rolleyes:
    My text was made up of two pages:
    Page 1 - Introduction type thing putting stuff into context,
    Witchcraft at the time,
    Conflict between the families,
    Activities

Each in its own individual text box - each with its own colour to stand out.

Page 2 - A timeline of the main events.

My activities were DIRE!! - one was like make a family tree type thing and the other....was like...DON'T LAUGH - cut out the dates and events in the timeline then see if they can get the correct order, only once I left the exam did I notice - wtf they can't cut up the resource pack! stupid *********g kids!!!

Oh and my tone was ALL WRONG - like I think it was far too complex! But then I said in my commentary that the teacher is there to support the kids etc...and can explain any words they don't understand! TOTAL S**E.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    today was evidence, if there was any needed, that its a good thing this awful & painful paper is being abolished soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pistol)
    I don't think they mark you down specifically due to that.
    The word count is only a guide line, 800 isn't far off and if it's good quality then you shouldn't have any problem..

yeah thats cool. i was focussing on the quality of my writing rather than quantity. not deffo sure how much it was but looking back over it at the end it didnt seem 1000 grr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisholland27)
    today was evidence, if there was any needed, that its a good thing this awful & painful paper is being abolished soon
    it is a very stupid and pointless paper.

it should be moved to media studies students

ReputationRep:
    How do the examiners know how much source material you have used? A "comprehensive range" is considered to be ~65% but a lot of the information is repeated and covered in a variety of different texts.

ReputationRep:
    ooooh

did anyone else write where they got all their info from???
    coz i like put in pencil, the text i got some info from, and made it a note to editor

ReputationRep:
    yeh i did read the question but wondered whether teachers/kids would be reading it. I just got really confused. did my headings sound appropiate though?

ReputationRep:
    I did the dyslexia question 4
    Although it was personal accounts by parents I was hoping for something simple like a magazine article/web page or leaflet

So technically yay
    But that kind of writing "my child" "my child wah wah wah" "little peter cant spell...
    Just doesnt leave me feeling so confident

And i didnt finish my commentary... messiest writing ever!

And our packs were taken away....they dont have names on them anyway
    You could of written AQA IS GAY
    and you'd be fine!

Scary scary language change and acq...think i need to get on that thread now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pistol)
    yeah we should be okay i'm sure
    haha i know, but it was a quality question, especially with everything that was discussed on here, some other ppl might show up saying they did Question 3 who knows..
    Yeah I did it, think it went okay but worried my speakers had too big blocks of speech? But then I couldnt make it spontaneous so eeee just confused, hopefully a C though......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazza07)
    Oh god I did question 2 - :rolleyes:
    My text was made up of two pages:
    Page 1 - Introduction type thing putting stuff into context,
    Witchcraft at the time,
    Conflict between the families,
    Activities

Each in its own individual text box - each with its own colour to stand out.

Page 2 - A timeline of the main events.

My activities were DIRE!! - one was like make a family tree type thing and the other....was like...DON'T LAUGH - cut out the dates and events in the timeline then see if they can get the correct order, only once I left the exam did I notice - wtf they can't cut up the resource pack! stupid *********g kids!!!

Oh and my tone was ALL WRONG - like I think it was far too complex! But then I said in my commentary that the teacher is there to support the kids etc...and can explain any words they don't understand! TOTAL S**E.

Sorry.
    Your activities compared to mine are brilliant. Imagine getting kids to check for birthmarks to determine whether they would have been withces in 1612... what was i thinking!!??

ReputationRep:
    I did question 4 (the magazine article)
    My sections -
    *A scenario of a mother who has a child with dyslexia/introduction.
    *Who can help you and your child.
    *Separating Fact from Fiction
    *What you can do to help your child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiedopez)
    yeh i did read the question but wondered whether teachers/kids would be reading it. I just got really confused. did my headings sound appropiate though?
    Yeah the content sounds alright.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be aimed at children due to the fact that it specifcally mentioned a Key Stage 2 pack and then gave the ages 9-11. It hould always mention the audience in the question so I think that was right.

Did you write it for adults?

ReputationRep:
    I did question 1 - i couldnt have hoped for a better question really.
    I wrote too much i think, and my commentary wasnt fabulous. But i though it was ok. I didnt think this exam was too awful.

No one even looked at our papers and didnt collect them in either - i could have taken in like 8 good commentaries and just copied them out!! Haha, why didnt i do that!

Oh well - thats another one over with. I have always been SO much more worried about lang change and aquisition EEK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiedopez)
    Your activities compared to mine are brilliant. Imagine getting kids to check for birthmarks to determine whether they would have been withces in 1612... what was i thinking!!??

haha that's so cool! Well you might give the examiner a good chuckle - a few more marks your way

ReputationRep:
    i did question 4 was soo happy dat 1 was of em was stayin well clear of the radio ones cnt believe there were 2 aimed at radio 4 tut tut
    we got ta keep our paks n the examiners never even cheked them at the beginnin the woman sed ta me r u as or a2 lol sooo i could have taken nething in n sed i had needed it haha ahhh politics revision for me now soo many exams in 1 week grrrr
    x

ReputationRep:
    It seemed a bit harsh that there were 2 questions for radio 4. Bit of a narrow choice.

As if some people had to put their packs in brown envelopes with their names on!!! Thats utterly ridiculous!!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2008

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.