UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

* Dain Bramaged *
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
out of interest... of those who have done the ukcat how far through each section did you get???
This is probably more important in the case of the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning. did everyone finish?? or how many did ya do?
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did not do brilliantly on the exam, but I finished all sections without having to guess EXCEPT for QA which I got maybe half way through and had to guess the rest. I had to work quickly to answer every question and I wonder if I did not sacrifice quality in order to do so. This meant that when I was unsure I just made an educated guess or completely random guess and moved on.
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by * Dain Bramaged *)
out of interest... of those who have done the ukcat how far through each section did you get???
This is probably more important in the case of the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning. did everyone finish?? or how many did ya do?
I completed all of my sections within the time limit, and with the exception of QR I had time to check through all my answers also! This is bearing in mind however, I guessed a couple of questions in QR because they simply looked like they'd take up too much time.
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ten days to go. :zomg:

It's time to start preparing I think!

Scaryhair - wow well done about the time constraints. I haven't heard anyone say they had time to spare yet.
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Holsy)
Ten days to go. :zomg:

It's time to start preparing I think!

Scaryhair - wow well done about the time constraints. I haven't heard anyone say they had time to spare yet.
Thanks I am a true believer in trying to stay calm and completely focusing your attention on the test so you can work as quickly and efficiently as possible! I really struggled with the time limits in practices, so I cut down the times that are given to say 15 minutes from the given 20, and practiced like that. It was a real shock in the exam to be able to finish with time left over, I can only pin in down to adrenaline to be honest!
Good luck for yours, I highly recommend using the www.medicmix.com site to practise the UKCAT, they have tips and a long practice test for each section. You have to sign up, but it's definitely worth it.
Holsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by scaryhair)
Thanks I am a true believer in trying to stay calm and completely focusing your attention on the test so you can work as quickly and efficiently as possible! I really struggled with the time limits in practices, so I cut down the times that are given to say 15 minutes from the given 20, and practiced like that. It was a real shock in the exam to be able to finish with time left over, I can only pin in down to adrenaline to be honest!
Good luck for yours, I highly recommend using the www.medicmix.com site to practise the UKCAT, they have tips and a long practice test for each section. You have to sign up, but it's definitely worth it.
Already signed up a few weeks ago, but I haven't used it yet! Thanks a lot for your tips! :yy:
badger stripes
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)
i just did the verbal reasoning test on the UKCAT website and got 22/44! Thats disgraceful! ANd only a week and a half left!! :woo: :woo:
I'm well happy with decision analysis and abstract reasoning!
HAHAHAHA just did the one out of the book, 8/30 !! :eek: :no:
Kelly^2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mines on thursday! Really worried, just going to do loads of practice tonight and tomorrow.
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How do you convert the practise score into the standard UKCAT format (out of 900?).

Is it just a straight conversion, i.e. get 80% in practise you get 80% of 900?
anminko
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by badger stripes)
HAHAHAHA just did the one out of the book, 8/30 !! :eek: :no:
*HUG* i got 13.. mine's tomorrow.. haha... should have prepared more.
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by callum9999)
How do you convert the practise score into the standard UKCAT format (out of 900?).

Is it just a straight conversion, i.e. get 80% in practise you get 80% of 900?
i don't think so. some people have claimed to complete only 25/40 on the quantitative reasoning and end up wif over 600 in that section so it cannot be done on percentages...
prudentstudent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did mine a few days ago.
VR - 760
QR - 770
AR - 890
DA - 880
Edit: Average - 825
I can't count..

God knows how I got 770 in QR, I missed out about 5 Q's...
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prudentstudent)
I did mine a few days ago.
VR - 760
QR - 770
AR - 890
DA - 880
Average - 815

God knows how I got 770 in QR, I missed out about 5 Q's...
Wow, what a brilliant UKCAT score! I'm sure any university will be begging for you with a score like that...

*assuming the rest of your application is as great of course :p:
prudentstudent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
Wow, what a brilliant UKCAT score! I'm sure any university will be begging for you with a score like that...

*assuming the rest of your application is as great of course :p:
Thanks I was pretty pleased myself tbh..
Now for the personal statement:woo: :woo: :woo:
badger stripes
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anminko)
*HUG* i got 13.. mine's tomorrow.. haha... should have prepared more.
frig, just get yourself in the concentrating zone, and think you CAN get 600, and whatever u do, dont forget that u can use a calculator for QR lol ... mines on the 27th but its not going well. :no:
anminko
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just took mine a couple of hours ago! (I live in Japan so I didn't take it at 5 am haha)

Verbal 540 (OUCH)
Quantitive 710
Abstract 720
Decision Analysis 620

Average 647.5

I ran out of time on everything but decision analysis (which ironically i didn't do so well on)

..is this good enough...
Chrrams
Report 10 years ago
Did mine yesterday. Had three questions and 8 minutes remaining on the decision analysis question, when the fire alarm went off. Sweet.

So, I have to go again in September and do it again... DARN!

I was nicely in the time for VR, AR and DA, but for QR I guessed over half the questions! They were just as hard as, if not harder than, the questions on the UKCAT website... Did anyone else find this the case?
Holsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chrrams)
Did mine yesterday. Had three questions and 8 minutes remaining on the decision analysis question, when the fire alarm went off. Sweet.

I was nicely in the time for VR, AR and DA, but for QR I guessed over half the questions! They were just as hard as, if not harder than, the questions on the UKCAT website... Did anyone else find this the case?
You found the QR hard and you have practically 100% UMS in Maths? There's no hope!

Shame about you having to do it again - although I suppose that's even more practice. Keep on the positive I suppose; it must be quite annoying! Good luck for September then!
prudentstudent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chrrams)

I agree with you time-wise for QR. I had to speed through the last 5 questions or so...
I think this is the case with everyone.
anminko
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prudentstudent)
I agree with you time-wise for QR. I had to speed through the last 5 questions or so...
I think this is the case with everyone.
Me too! The last couple of questions on my quantitive i could NOT finish. I chose random answers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads