Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Re: complaining about Yanks scheduling, you do realise Autumn/Winter is prime time for Doctor Who in the UK? Just like how classic Doctor Who aired. Ratings have suffered in previous years because of the show airing essentially during hot weather and full sunlight.

Yes, the move is also partly financial but you're placing too much emphasis on the influence of American television over the genuine boost the show would have over Fall/Winter. It also allows time for a more polished storyarc. But, by all means, if you want a rushed out Doctor Who...
well, the main thing is splitting the series in half, it they air full series at least in the Autumn/Winter then that's fine, but having 5 episodes here and 8 episodes there or whatever is just irritating, most shows in the UK/USA air their series in one go, I don't see why they can't do that with Doctor Who, it's hardly rushing it out if they can manage it with other shows and did it with Doctor Who before either, none of the series that aired in one go felt at all rushed.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Re: complaining about Yanks scheduling, you do realise Autumn/Winter is prime time for Doctor Who in the UK? Just like how classic Doctor Who aired. Ratings have suffered in previous years because of the show airing essentially during hot weather and full sunlight.

Yes, the move is also partly financial but you're placing too much emphasis on the influence of American television over the genuine boost the show would have over Fall/Winter. It also allows time for a more polished story arc to lead into the 50th Anniv. But, by all means, if you want a rushed out Doctor Who...
The move back to September combined with a split season seems very American as opposed to a New Year schedule with a Christmas special to build up the excitement.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SciFiRory)
well, the main thing is splitting the series in half, it they air full series at least in the Autumn/Winter then that's fine, but having 5 episodes here and 8 episodes there or whatever is just irritating, most shows in the UK/USA air their series in one go, I don't see why they can't do that with Doctor Who, it's hardly rushing it out if they can manage it with other shows and did it with Doctor Who before either, none of the series that aired in one go felt at all rushed.
No American shows (at least in the autumn winter schedule) are shown in one go. They normally have 2/3 weeks then a week break with another week or two off before Christmas, then a big break for Christmas and NY with another couple of weeks before a break and then another break around Easter before finishing with 4/5 weeks to end the run.

SciFiRory
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
No American shows (at least in the autumn winter schedule) are shown in one go. They normally have 2/3 weeks then a week break with another week or two off before Christmas, then a big break for Christmas and NY with another couple of weeks before a break and then another break around Easter before finishing with 4/5 weeks to end the run.

they are much longer though, most of them have aired 13 episodes by Christmas anyway...heck they could do the 13 weeks before xmas and it would be in line with the US and **** and then you could just have the xmas special air the next week as usual. that would be best rather than making up **** excuses to feck it around all over the place so fans end up getting shafted because they never know when it's gonna be on or how many episodes they will get when it is.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Doctor Who?

Doctor Who what?

I've forgotten what it is. I knew that crack in my wall was suspicious...

Seriously though, so many long waits, I'll probably miss it because it's been off the radar for so long. I'd love it if Rory was the Master, although I really can't see it fitting with his character. It would be a good twist.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If the girl replacing Karen Gillan refuses to wear sexy attire then I'm not sure whether this programme, if it continues with the current Moffat nonsense, will hold any sort of joy for me to watch.

Matt Smith has been a great Doctor let down by terrible scripts, writing and story lines.

Karen Gillan has just been a joy to look at.

Without those two then Moffat would have been getting torn to shreds, I hope he gets control of himself and gives a decent send off to Karen and finally a decent story to Matt. I was also hoping that any River storyline would die and never return but there she is, pissing about in the trailer annoying my eyes and boring the life out of me.

Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
If the girl replacing Karen Gillan refuses to wear sexy attire then I'm not sure whether this programme, if it continues with the current Moffat nonsense, will hold any sort of joy for me to watch.

Matt Smith has been a great Doctor let down by terrible scripts, writing and story lines.

Karen Gillan has just been a joy to look at.

Without those two then Moffat would have been getting torn to shreds, I hope he gets control of himself and gives a decent send off to Karen and finally a decent story to Matt. I was also hoping that any River storyline would die and never return but there she is, pissing about in the trailer annoying my eyes and boring the life out of me.

Its still a good programme and Series 5 was the best series by far but Series 6 was very disappointing,with the storyline getting clogged down by unnecessary series arcs around river and a lot of unanswered questions from Series 5,not properly resolved-Moffat keeps creating millions of questions and taking years to answer them or forgetting about them,which isn't a good idea and he';s making all the monsters,bar the silence kind and innocent in some shape or form.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
Its still a good programme and Series 5 was the best series by far but Series 6 was very disappointing,with the storyline getting clogged down by unnecessary series arcs around river and a lot of unanswered questions from Series 5,not properly resolved-Moffat keeps creating millions of questions and taking years to answer them or forgetting about them,which isn't a good idea and he';s making all the monsters,bar the silence kind and innocent in some shape or form.
Monsters don't have to be evil. It's all a matter of perspective.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
Let's not get back into this again :mmm:

SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
Let's not get back into this again :mmm:

:awesome:

Spoiler:
Show
True story though
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It isn't as good,when the enemies turn out to be nice and you start to have empathy for them-the show should be about aliens,who want to take over earth and destroy everyone and be really evil and have no real moral reason for their attitudes or no excuses as to why they don't care about humans dying.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:awesome:

Spoiler:
Show
True story though
It is so damn hard to not reply to the next post. It is full of so many levels of fail

Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Re: the female Timelord debate from a few pages back, this is the clip where the Corsair is revealed to have had both male and female regenerations :holmes:
Invisible Man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Series 7 start date and time revealed as 1st September, 7.20pm to 8.10pm on BBC 1.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-w...-date-revealed
Yoghurt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Invisible Man)
Series 7 start date and time revealed as 1st September, 7.20pm to 8.10pm on BBC 1.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-w...-date-revealed
So it starts the day after I go abroad on Holiday :mad:

But at least I can have a mini-Who Marathon when I get home
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:woo: it starts before I go to Canada.
JessicaW
Badges: 1
Report 6 years ago
Awesome. I was getting worried we'd be waiting 3-4 weeks for it.
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So soon now :woo:
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Yoghurt)
So it starts the day after I go abroad on Holiday :mad:

But at least I can have a mini-Who Marathon when I get home
I am going to miss Dinosaurs on a Spaceship,for my Butlins holiday but I will be recording it though and what does everyone think of the dinosaurs in the trailer?-I was pretty impressed because they looked realistic,especially compared to the rubbish dinosaurs seen about 40 years ago in Doctor Who.The dinosaurs will probably give Doctor Who a chance to show that there CGI is good because dinosaurs are something we can familiarise with,new aliens are hard to compare with what they should look like.
boba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yeah because we've all seen real life dinosaurs, its not like our idea of what they should look like are based on someone elses cgi or drawings. They are such familiar everyday creatures.
X

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise