Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Do we need another CAM? Cazorla/Rosicky/Wilshere are all top notch so hard to understand if we do. Can Gourcuff play on the wing?
    Two of the three you've mentioned are injury prone.

I'm all for more depth in midfield, but Gourcuff is injury prone as well. Wenger was interested 2 years ago before these knee problems. I'm pretty sure he's not going to buy an injury prone player given his luck in recent times at Arsenal with injuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    I personally don't like Wilshere sitting in that advanced a role. I think he does better from deep. He's very industrious, ballwinning and magic at stepping out of the midfield in to attack. Just now I don't think he has the goals/mentality to be a creative centre of midfield (and don't get me wrong, I think Wilshere is the best player we have).

Rosicky/Cazorla are the two we have there. I am just concerned with Rosicky's fitness. If he's fit all season, I'm happy, because I think Rosicky is an absolutely brilliant player. However, he's been in and out with injuries so much that it's hard to bank on him... similar to how I think we didn't go in to the market last year on the basis of Diaby, who then was injured most of the season and left us a little short, squad wise.

Like noone29 said, he's more of a Nasri. He can play wide, but not with natural width. I really see him more as a central player. He'd be a good signing, and I hope we go in for him. He's 27, experienced international and still, I think, hungry to prove himself at a bigger (CL) level. Although the comments in the media about a paycut etc. aren't really indicative of anything at all happening. Anyway...
    I don't think Wilshere is really a deep midfielder. I think he's very suited to be our up and down midfielder - in between the defensive (hopefully Gustavo) and the attacking (either Cazorla or Rosicky).

Do you really think Wilshere is our best player? I used to think very highly of him (and still do) but if I'm to be honest I think he needs to start fulfilling it more - really drive Arsenal in the way Gerrard has done with Liverpool. Obviously he needs to stay fit for the season to do that. He's certainly quality but I'd like to see more from him. As for the best attacking player at Arsenal, I think it's Rosicky. Football is natural to him; a shame injury hampered him. Cazorla I think is second.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't like Wilshere sitting in that advanced a role. I think he does better from deep. He's very industrious, ballwinning and magic at stepping out of the midfield in to attack. Just now I don't think he has the goals/mentality to be a creative centre of midfield (and don't get me wrong, I think Wilshere is the best player we have).

Rosicky/Cazorla are the two we have there. I am just concerned with Rosicky's fitness. If he's fit all season, I'm happy, because I think Rosicky is an absolutely brilliant player. However, he's been in and out with injuries so much that it's hard to bank on him... similar to how I think we didn't go in to the market last year on the basis of Diaby, who then was injured most of the season and left us a little short, squad wise.

Like noone29 said, he's more of a Nasri. He can play wide, but not with natural width. I really see him more as a central player. He'd be a good signing, and I hope we go in for him. He's 27, experienced international and still, I think, hungry to prove himself at a bigger (CL) level. Although the comments in the media about a paycut etc. aren't really indicative of anything at all happening. Anyway...
    Have you noted his injury record? Very risky buy.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, Rosicky spent most of the first half of the season on the bench rather than playing but he came back in eventually. He wasn't injured. I also think Ox will be played there more because that's where Wenger said he wants him to play in future.

ReputationRep:
    ---------Back 5-----------
    ------Gustavo--Wilshere-----
    Walcott---Cazorla--Oxcube----
    ------------Giroud----------

If Giroud can maintain his preseason form, reckon he could score 25+ considering all the missed opportunities last season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)

If Giroud can maintain his preseason form, reckon he could score 25+ considering all the missed opportunities last season
    I agree that Giroud will get 20+ goals this season,

What worrys me though, is that he is not yet experianced/good enough to really score that many goals, that turn the tide, or save matches..

I can see him being quite consistant against weaker teams - or any game when we are playing well..

But im worried he wont be able to do what the top strikers can do (RVP, suarez aguero etc) - which is to score the late winner - score the important goal that saves the match etc..
    And that is what a team really needs, if they are going to win the title... (just thinking of all the games that RVP saved/won for united last season..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)

25+ in the league? no offence but be serious. Theres are reasons why arsenal are clearly after a striker, When that player (whoever he is) comes in people will see how weak Giroud is, not a top 4 striker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I don't think Wilshere is really a deep midfielder. I think he's very suited to be our up and down midfielder - in between the defensive (hopefully Gustavo) and the attacking (either Cazorla or Rosicky).

Do you really think Wilshere is our best player? I used to think very highly of him (and still do) but if I'm to be honest I think he needs to start fulfilling it more - really drive Arsenal in the way Gerrard has done with Liverpool. Obviously he needs to stay fit for the season to do that. He's certainly quality but I'd like to see more from him. As for the best attacking player at Arsenal, I think it's Rosicky. Football is natural to him; a shame injury hampered him. Cazorla I think is second.
    Yeah when I said 'deep' I was really meaning 'not advanced', in the sense that I think he's box-to-box and best coming from deep to the advanced position. Does that make any sense? I agree with you, I think he's best operating alongside someone who will stay in a deeper role (which I see as Ramsey/Gustavo if he comes) and joining an attack alongside the more advanced role (where Rosicky/Cazorla play).

And yeah, I do. I think he's got game-changing talent, and he's one of the guys we have in the team who will take a losing game by the scruff of the neck and haul us back in to it. He's not been 100% for a while, with injuries and then fatigue, but I think this season, if he stays fit, he'll be one of the best players in the league. He's also clearly an incredibly important figure in the dressing room, and he's still unbelievably young.

(Original post by noone29)
    Have you noted his injury record? Very risky buy.
    Yep, but Wenger bought Sanogo, so not reading too much in to that. As a squad player, he'd be quality, and we're not talking about building a team around him.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah when I said 'deep' I was really meaning 'not advanced', in the sense that I think he's box-to-box and best coming from deep to the advanced position. Does that make any sense? I agree with you, I think he's best operating alongside someone who will stay in a deeper role (which I see as Ramsey/Gustavo if he comes) and joining an attack alongside the more advanced role (where Rosicky/Cazorla play).

And yeah, I do. I think he's got game-changing talent, and he's one of the guys we have in the team who will take a losing game by the scruff of the neck and haul us back in to it. He's not been 100% for a while, with injuries and then fatigue, but I think this season, if he stays fit, he'll be one of the best players in the league. He's also clearly an incredibly important figure in the dressing room, and he's still unbelievably young.

Yep, but Wenger bought Sanogo, so not reading too much in to that. As a squad player, he'd be quality, and we're not talking about building a team around him.
    Either way, I'd probably still like him, if he ends up injury prone then there's not too much we could've done. Important thing will be to not overpay for him.

But we do need depth. Think I've counted only maybe 18 first team players? We need a bigger squad - City, United and Chelsea have bigger squads and injuries will always happen.

We need more after Gustavo me feels to mount a proper challenge. Injuries are going to happen, we just don't know to whom and for how long yet.

ReputationRep:
    Gourcoff to Arsenal? please say this is a joke, or he becomes another squad player like Benyoun was.

He was talented 4 years ago but he can't even get into the Lyon side now.

ReputationRep:
    Btw Arsenal trialist Sebastian Perez, who featured against City on Saturday, has returned to Colombia after failing to get a work permit.

ReputationRep:
    Either way, I'd probably still like him, if he ends up injury prone then there's not too much we could've done. Important thing will be to not overpay for him.

But we do need depth. Think I've counted only maybe 18 first team players? We need a bigger squad - City, United and Chelsea have bigger squads and injuries will always happen.

We need more after Gustavo me feels to mount a proper challenge. Injuries are going to happen, we just don't know to whom and for how long yet.
    I agree. I think the way things have been, a lot of us are just desperately hoping to get Gustavo as it was starting to feel pretty much like we'd not get anyone at all, and now I have some hope we might actually add to the squad.

In midfield just now, by my reckoning, we have:

Arteta, Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey, Rosicky, Chamberlain, Diaby (then Miyachi and Frimpong, who I don't think really count as strength in depth).

Diaby is not someone we can count on, and to play 50+ games we need to be having rotation in every position plus injury cover. Add Gustavo and things look a bit better... add one more player on top of that? I think we'd be well placed at that.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I think the way things have been, a lot of us are just desperately hoping to get Gustavo as it was starting to feel pretty much like we'd not get anyone at all, and now I have some hope we might actually add to the squad.

In midfield just now, by my reckoning, we have:

Arteta, Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey, Rosicky, Chamberlain, Diaby (then Miyachi and Frimpong, who I don't think really count as strength in depth).

Diaby is not someone we can count on, and to play 50+ games we need to be having rotation in every position plus injury cover. Add Gustavo and things look a bit better... add one more player on top of that? I think we'd be well placed at that.
    I think a striker and we'll be good. Another midfielder would be a bonus. The fact that Gustavo is so versatile makes him a 3 or 2 in one signing. He doesn't get injured very much which is good. I'm hoping younger players will be able to step up when the going gets tough. United and Chelsea have looked to youngsters in the past.

I remember when Marcheda was awesome for United.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Chamakh must be gutted. Had London's best shisha cafes just round the corner on Edgware Road, doubt Croydon's got many...:rolleyes:
    Haha, actually, the ones on Edgware Road are god awful, celebrity haunts at times though, Justin Bieber turned up at one I went to, the day after I went there. There are a few on the side roads off Edgware Road which are okay, illegal though. Croydon/Tooting have a few decent ones between them, but not Arab style like Chamakh would probably prefer.

This is my peace offering to the Arsenal thread, discussion about anything that isn't footbal

ReputationRep:
    Gourcuff will be stupid to leave lyon. He's been perennially **** but has just put in masterclass performance this past weekend for a pretty much renewed Lyon which he'll easily be seen as one of their best player i.e. firm new on the team sheet.

Either way, aint happening. That boat never even sailed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Haha, actually, the ones on Edgware Road are god awful, celebrity haunts at times though, Justin Bieber turned up at one I went to, the day after I went there. There are a few on the side roads off Edgware Road which are okay, illegal though. Croydon/Tooting have a few decent ones between them, but not Arab style like Chamakh would probably prefer.

This is my peace offering to the Arsenal thread, discussion about anything that isn't footbal
    Clearly you have never been Dar Marrakesh

ReputationRep:
    Something about to down at Arsenal, we need sort this mess out thb

ReputationRep:
    Btw Arsenal trialist Sebastian Perez, who featured against City on Saturday, has returned to Colombia after failing to get a work permit.
    Huh? Think this is bull. Of course he wasn't going to get a work permit but that wouldn't be the reason of not signing him. If we haven't/ aren't going to signed him, it's because he didn't impress Wenger enough.

Surprise surprise, it was broken by another psuedo ITK pretending he knows it all :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    So Miquel is out on loan to Leicester. Leaving us with precisely two fit centre-backs to start the season with? Nothing can go wrong there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Huh? Think this is bull. Of course he wasn't going to get a work permit but that wouldn't be the reason of not signing him. If we haven't/ aren't going to signed him, it's because he didn't impress Wenger enough.

Surprise surprise, it was broken by another psuedo ITK pretending he knows it all :facepalm2:
    Sorry, should remove that.

It is bull****. I liked what he did for us against Man City, hopefully we can sign him.

Anyway, should've known. There are ways around WPs by sending them out on loan just like we did with Joel Campbell.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.