Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have called in sick today; I couldn't face going in. I'm speaking to my tutor later about quitting/deferring/continuing... I have no idea what to do.

I am wondering whether taking the rest of the week off and starting fresh next week will work, as surely that has to be a better option than quitting the course. This will mean I only need to get through 9 school days until the Easter holidays, which might be doable..

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

Just wanted to offer my support to you all. I am also doing PGCE primary and have had a second 'concerning' observation this week. Feel so deflated and sounds pathetic, a little heartbroken. I gave up so much to do the course and really want to be the best teacher I can be but just don't know if I am good enough anymore. I have one week left in this school and then I am going back to my other school for the rest of the course. The concerns are around my whole class teaching and I am moving back to a placement where there is no whole class teaching (child led nursery) so I don't see how I can improve. I have spoken to Uni but they have just told me to stop moaning and get what I can out if it. I feel like I am being set up to fail. It's the weekend and I should feel more relaxed but I feel like I am still sick with worrying about it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    I have called in sick today; I couldn't face going in. I'm speaking to my tutor later about quitting/deferring/continuing... I have no idea what to do.

I am wondering whether taking the rest of the week off and starting fresh next week will work, as surely that has to be a better option than quitting the course. This will mean I only need to get through 9 school days until the Easter holidays, which might be doable..
    I hope you are feeling better x I think some time off is good, would give you some space to recharge. Sometimes we just need to put ourselves first. I am on countdown to Easter too, then hoping the rest of the course will feel more manageable as it's only a few months more. One step at a time xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepymummy)
    Hey everyone

Just wanted to offer my support to you all. I am also doing PGCE primary and have had a second 'concerning' observation this week. Feel so deflated and sounds pathetic, a little heartbroken. I gave up so much to do the course and really want to be the best teacher I can be but just don't know if I am good enough anymore. I have one week left in this school and then I am going back to my other school for the rest of the course. The concerns are around my whole class teaching and I am moving back to a placement where there is no whole class teaching (child led nursery) so I don't see how I can improve. I have spoken to Uni but they have just told me to stop moaning and get what I can out if it. I feel like I am being set up to fail. It's the weekend and I should feel more relaxed but I feel like I am still sick with worrying about it all.
    You should be able to meet all the requirements of the course in a child led, individual and small group based setting still. If they specifically need to see evidence of you teaching a whole "class", speak to your mentor about what you can do to meet that. Maybe you can do a one off session going and doing something as a whole group. Maybe a sports session or a special event like a sponsored sing for charity or reading a story as part of a whole session reading cafe. Even in a setting where whole class isn't used as part of the normal routine, there can be lots to be gained from using it now and then. Or if it's part of a school perhaps you could lead something short in KS1 instead, assuming they do whole class there - maybe a couple of phonics sessions or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview tomorrow (or today, given its 1am and I can't sleep haha) and had to prepare a 30 minute lesson. But in 30 minutes it's hard to fit in any meaningful progress! Especially when you don't know the children to know where they are progressing from.

Fingers crossed I get it, but it's my first interview so I'm not expecting to go perfectly. I'd be disappointed but not surprised if i didn't get it. But I still want the job of course!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    I have an interview tomorrow (or today, given its 1am and I can't sleep haha) and had to prepare a 30 minute lesson. But in 30 minutes it's hard to fit in any meaningful progress! Especially when you don't know the children to know where they are progressing from.

Fingers crossed I get it, but it's my first interview so I'm not expecting to go perfectly. I'd be disappointed but not surprised if i didn't get it. But I still want the job of course!!!
    Good luck! From what I hear it is more about your way of interacting with the children than the learning itself. Hope it goes/went OK!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I hope that things have gotten better for some of you. I have completed my horrible second placement and am trying to regain my sanity Thankfully we have a long break until our final placement begins.

It's crazy how fast time has passed. I can't believe we're 2/3 of the way through the course already. I have a job lined up for September and can't wait to finally have my own class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    Good luck! From what I hear it is more about your way of interacting with the children than the learning itself. Hope it goes/went OK!
    Thanks I didn't get the job, but it's put me at ease for future interviews now I know what to expect. I got some great feedback too. I'd definitely agree they cared more about the relationships with the children. They seemed surprised that my lesson had so much actual learning content in it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    Thanks I didn't get the job, but it's put me at ease for future interviews now I know what to expect. I got some great feedback too. I'd definitely agree they cared more about the relationships with the children. They seemed surprised that my lesson had so much actual learning content in it!
    Haha, it was obviously a really good lesson then! Hopefully the feedback will help you get the next job you go for - but as I've said so many times to so many people, jobs are currently something that don't need to be worried about. There will be plenty of them to come, and the only reason I have one already for September is because it is my main placement school and they wanted me and I wanted them! If they hadn't had a job going, I would still be jobless!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone here have any contacts with any primary schools in SE London area/1.5 hours travel from Eltham/Bexleyheath SE London? I'm a referred PGCE student following a horrific final school experience last year (they kicked me off at the end of week 7 of teaching, when placement finished at end of week 8), and I'm desperately looking for a school. Over initial and final school placements I've never received an observation lower than 'Good', I just had a terrible experience alongside going through my first breakup as well as family issues which alongside my dissatisfaction with the school (that the university had already had complaints about, prior) led to me just imploding.
    I am desperate for a school and am just trying to think of anything that might help so figured I'd post here in case anyone could help, I'm despairing right now. If anyone has any contacts they/I could get in touch with to set up a meeting to discuss a potential placement it would mean the world.

Thanks, Sam.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm hoping someone will be able to give me a little bit of advice...

Basically, I have 4 weeks left of my placement after the Easter Holidays before I move on to do my enrichment which Is a further 3 weeks. At the moment though I am absolutely hating my placement here. I don't feel in control of any of my classes and I dread nearly every single lesson. Even with lessons that do go really well, I still never feel any satisfaction or motivation. I'm completely drained and really want to quit. The amount of times I have finished at the end of the day, sat in my car and just cried for 15 minutes is ridiculous. I really enjoyed my last placement and enjoyed teaching there, but now I'm just really not sure if I want to carry on with teaching and I don't know if I'm going to bother to apply for any posts in September. The only thing keeping me going at the moment is my bursary.

My question is... should I just leave the course now and try and pursue a different career or should I try and stick my placement out even though I don't think this is the career path for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomJ123)

Basically, I have 4 weeks left of my placement after the Easter Holidays before I move on to do my enrichment which Is a further 3 weeks. At the moment though I am absolutely hating my placement here. I don't feel in control of any of my classes and I dread nearly every single lesson. Even with lessons that do go really well, I still never feel any satisfaction or motivation. I'm completely drained and really want to quit. The amount of times I have finished at the end of the day, sat in my car and just cried for 15 minutes is ridiculous. I really enjoyed my last placement and enjoyed teaching there, but now I'm just really not sure if I want to carry on with teaching and I don't know if I'm going to bother to apply for any posts in September. The only thing keeping me going at the moment is my bursary.

My question is... should I just leave the course now and try and pursue a different career or should I try and stick my placement out even though I don't think this is the career path for me?
    Stick it out to get the qualification but don't apply for jobs yet, if ever. Miserable as teaching is when you don't enjoy it, you can stick it out for two months if you know you're never going to do it again, and a completed qualification looks far better to other employers than an unfinished one. Don't give them the impression you will quit easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomJ123)

Agree with carnationlilyrose, but also: if you really enjoyed your last placement, what is it that has changed? Is it because of the extra amount of work that you have to do, since the course gets greater? Or is it something to do with the difference between the schools, or the classes?

I just finished my middle placement, and as much as I continued to enjoy what I was doing, and coped with the greater workload, I didn't enjoy it as much as my first placement because of the differences between the schools I was in. I know now what sort of school I want to work in because of the different environments I have experienced.

Just saying, it's worth thinking about the cause. Teaching may still be for you, but it might be dependent on where you work. There's nothing wrong with that...

ReputationRep:
    I'm having difficulties on my second (and unfortunately final) placement and I have recently been put on 'cause for concern'. I don't know what to do anymore and I seriously consider quitting the course. My first school seemed happy with my teaching and I felt a lot more confident when I was there. I am observed all the time and two of the five teachers I am working with seem to be very critical and I feel like I just can't get anything right anymore. I know that I make mistakes and I'm here to learn but the feedback I have been given has really affected my confidence and I constantly feel stressed out. I'm really unhappy but my family and friends encourage me to stay on the course because I enjoyed my first placement. Does anyone know whether it might be possible to change placement schools at this stage? I might feel completely different about things if I was still at my old school and it would be a shame if I left teaching or if I failed the course because I was having such a hard time at my second placement school.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear you're going through a tough time. Is there anyone at your training provider that you could talk to about this? Only your training provider would be able to tell you if moving schools is possible. Have you been given any targets to work on to help you address their concerns? If not, perhaps you could talk to one of the less critical teachers to identify small steps you could take?

(Original post by traineeteacher_)
      I'm having difficulties on my second (and unfortunately final) placement and I have recently been put on 'cause for concern'. I don't know what to do anymore and I seriously consider quitting the course. My first school seemed happy with my teaching and I felt a lot more confident when I was there. I am observed all the time and two of the five teachers I am working with seem to be very critical and I feel like I just can't get anything right anymore. I know that I make mistakes and I'm here to learn but the feedback I have been given has really affected my confidence and I constantly feel stressed out. I'm really unhappy but my family and friends encourage me to stay on the course because I enjoyed my first placement. Does anyone know whether it might be possible to change placement schools at this stage? I might feel completely different about things if I was still at my old school and it would be a shame if I left teaching or if I failed the course because I was having such a hard time at my second placement school.
      My advice would be to stay in the course and:

1- Take command of the feedback you get. Don't accept everything. If they give too much feedback, or too negative feedback, answer very politely but decisively, to provide one piece of advice only so that you can improve on that for the next lessons. Sort of "aham, well, I would like to have one target for the next lessons, what should it be?". This way you take control of it and reduce the chances of not meeting expectations.

2- Always remember you are there temporarily. This is not your school, those are not your classrooms. Start caring less about it. This will help at regaining your confidence.

3- Do it for yourself. Don't let two jerks ruin your life.

Seriously, don't quit. I would only recommend quitting if you very clearly realise that you dislike teaching.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Pierson)
      I'm sorry to hear you're going through a tough time. Is there anyone at your training provider that you could talk to about this? Only your training provider would be able to tell you if moving schools is possible. Have you been given any targets to work on to help you address their concerns? If not, perhaps you could talk to one of the less critical teachers to identify small steps you could take?
      I have spoken to the training provider but they are supporting the school's decision. I have been given targets though they are fairly general, such as giving 'clearer explanations'. I am trying very hard to address all the development points they've asked me to address but based on the feedback I've been given, I don't feel very hopeful that I will pass this placement. Even on the occasions when I managed to meet all my targets, I didn't get much positive feedback and they decided to focus on other negative aspects instead. I am aware that I need to focus on the areas of development to become a better teacher and I know that I've got a lot to learn but the way I've been given feedback by certain teachers has really affected my confidence and I sometimes make silly mistakes that I never used to make because I feel so nervous/stressed out. Thank you, I will try to speak to some of the less critical teachers and see what advice they can give me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by abel.suisse)
      My advice would be to stay in the course and:

1- Take command of the feedback you get. Don't accept everything. If they give too much feedback, or too negative feedback, answer very politely but decisively, to provide one piece of advice only so that you can improve on that for the next lessons. Sort of "aham, well, I would like to have one target for the next lessons, what should it be?". This way you take control of it and reduce the chances of not meeting expectations.

2- Always remember you are there temporarily. This is not your school, those are not your classrooms. Start caring less about it. This will help at regaining your confidence.

3- Do it for yourself. Don't let two jerks ruin your life.

Seriously, don't quit. I would only recommend quitting if you very clearly realise that you dislike teaching.
      Thank you!

That makes sense, I will have to see what I can do. I don't think my mentor would accept it if I asked for just one target though as he is very strict.

It's difficult not to care because I feel like they can stop me from passing the course. Also I do like the classes I am teaching and I find it very upsetting if I am told that I'm failing them.

I know that I need to learn but I could really do with more support from the school. I've had class teachers taking over the lesson although I didn't seem to have done anything major wrong. I wasn't told why they chose to do it and it really undermined my confidence and I feel like the classes know that I'm not really in charge of them. The same happens if kids don't turn up for detentions, all I can do is to remind them to turn up the following day but there are no consequences if they don't. Of course I will mention it to them again but no one follows up on it if I tell them.

I think I might still enjoy teaching if I was in a different environment. I actually do enjoy teaching some of my classes because I like the kids and even some of the teachers. Still I absolutely dread going back after the holidays because I'm worried that some of the people at the school might want me to fail and they are the ones who can make the decision. I don't think I can pass unless something major changes and I just don't know what to do anymore.

ReputationRep:
      I completely understand how hopeless things can feel when all you're getting from the people who should be supporting you is negativity. Try to power through this placement for yourself if you can. Look at all the things you are doing right and be proud of the things you are achieving in spite of the adversity. You are clearly taking your development as a teacher very seriously and, perhaps, by asking the less critical teachers for advice, the others will finally begin to recognise this. After all, teachers talk. Try politely asking one of them to help you turn those general targets into ones that are more specific and measurable. For 'clearer explanations', they obviously should have suggested to you something specific that you could do to improve this, such as displaying instructions on the board.

I hope your situation improves soon. You are by no means alone in experiencing problems like this and people do get through it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Pierson)
      I completely understand how hopeless things can feel when all you're getting from the people who should be supporting you is negativity. Try to power through this placement for yourself if you can. Look at all the things you are doing right and be proud of the things you are achieving in spite of the adversity. You are clearly taking your development as a teacher very seriously and, perhaps, by asking the less critical teachers for advice, the others will finally begin to recognise this. After all, teachers talk. Try politely asking one of them to help you turn those general targets into ones that are more specific and measurable. For 'clearer explanations', they obviously should have suggested to you something specific that you could do to improve this, such as displaying instructions on the board.

I hope your situation improves soon. You are by no means alone in experiencing problems like this and people do get through it.
      Thank you! I will definitely try to ask the less critical/ more approachable teachers for advice. Hopefully I can get clearer targets that I can work towards. One teacher has already given me some helpful advice and i recently got very positive feedback from him but I'm not sure if my mentor knows. Of course I try to use the same strategies in my other lessons but the teachers at my school don't always agree with each other. Either way, I will try to talk to the more approachable teachers and hopefully I can get through this somehow.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.