Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Clearly you have never been Dar Marrakesh
    Only once bro, it was okay, not brilliant. One of the best ones on Edgware Road though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    So Miquel is out on loan to Leicester. Leaving us with precisely two fit centre-backs to start the season with? Nothing can go wrong there.
    Wenger sees Sagna as an emergency CB now. We are crazily thin at the moment. Although all the players we got rid of are passed it or not good enough, he really needed to have acted quicker to replace a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    So Miquel is out on loan to Leicester. Leaving us with precisely two fit centre-backs to start the season with? Nothing can go wrong there.
    Should Gustavo come in, he could fill in for a few matches and Sagna could cover.

I still think he'll add another CB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Two of the three you've mentioned are injury prone.

I'm all for more depth in midfield, but Gourcuff is injury prone as well. Wenger was interested 2 years ago before these knee problems. I'm pretty sure he's not going to buy an injury prone player given his luck in recent times at Arsenal with injuries.
    Better see yaya sanogo's injury history then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Better see yaya sanogo's injury history then
    Easier to recover when you're younger. I think Wenger looked at Gourcuff before his injuries and was still looking at him at Lyon, but then the injuries hit and he stopped.

Would be a decent buy depending on price. His last 3 years after his big money move have been close to poor however.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me arsenal fans you not getting Suarez is a blessing in disguise. I knew when that 1 pound was added on to that 40 mil bid, it would never happen, Wenger has made himself look like a right idiot. Don't even mention Rooney please, he won't like being a 3rd choice back-up target for Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    Uruguayan newspaper reporting Suarez has decided to stay at Liverpool. It's on the BBC website.

Rumours that we're moving our interest to Michu and Dzeko now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So just a few days until the first game of the season and all we've signed is some unknown teenager.

Honestly, you couldn't make it up.

Arsenal fans pay the highest ticket prices in the league, have cash reserves that dwarf almost every other club in the world and are now on par with or above the biggest clubs in the world commercially. Despite this, the club - at least in regards to the playing squad - has stood still. With Chelsea, City and United changing managers this should have been a chance for us to close the gap. Instead, we're looking behind us again to Liverpool and Spurs who are undoubtedly stronger.

Now I don't doubt we'll make signings before the window close, but whatever way you look at it going being at this stage of the season with such a thin squad attempting to conquer 4 competitions does not make sense and is not good practice. Are players bought now going to be off sufficient quality to actually improve us? Or will they merely be a square peg to a round hole, a player who will come on high wages due to our desperation and who we will struggle to get off our books when they underperform. We've been here before.

Our transfer activity has always been very much 'behind closed doors' so it's impossible to say whether or not we have just botched a load of transfers so far before now, but if it was the clubs strategy to wait this long before signing anyone it was a poor one. I have no idea what we're playing at to be honest, and I'm not sure if the board knows either.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, come the end of the window, Wenger was to turn around and say 'there wasn't any value in the market'. I think we need to overpay as ultimately there is no value in finishing outside the top 4 either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    So just a few days until the first game of the season and all we've signed is some unknown teenager.

Honestly, you couldn't make it up.

Arsenal fans pay the highest ticket prices in the league, have cash reserves that dwarf almost every other club in the world and are now on par with or above the biggest clubs in the world commercially. Despite this, the club - at least in regards to the playing squad - has stood still. With Chelsea, City and United changing managers this should have been a chance for us to close the gap. Instead, we're looking behind us again to Liverpool and Spurs who are undoubtedly stronger.

Now I don't doubt we'll make signings before the window close, but whatever way you look at it going being at this stage of the season with such a thin squad attempting to conquer 4 competitions does not make sense and is not good practice. Are players bought now going to be off sufficient quality to actually improve us? Or will they merely be a square peg to a round hole, a player who will come on high wages due to our desperation and who we will struggle to get off our books when they underperform. We've been here before.

Our transfer activity has always been very much 'behind closed doors' so it's impossible to say whether or not we have just botched a load of transfers so far before now, but if it was the clubs strategy to wait this long before signing anyone it was a poor one. I have no idea what we're playing at to be honest, and I'm not sure if the board knows either.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, come the end of the window, Wenger was to turn around and say 'there wasn't any value in the market'. I think we need to overpay as ultimately there is no value in finishing outside the top 4 either.
    Well if the Suarez story is true, Wenger still has over two weeks to get on his skates. He needs to pick a realistic striker target (or two) and pursue them relentlessly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It really is a joke if that's true, very embarrassing that our board boasted about all this money yet wenger can't even pluck up the balls to spend it. I'm glad I didn't renew my membership when the statement gazidis released was stating about the money. You've got 3 days till the new season and 19 days to gain some gain some of the respect the fans had for you wenger. You'd better get on your skates

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    US businessman Andy Beal saw the 2008 crash years in advance and liquidated all his assets because during recession years the value of money goes up and the value of assets goes down. A number of leading economists are saying there's another crash coming soon (thanks to the banks giving out retarded mortgages again). Wenger's waiting for the new economic crash to hit where the value of players will be forced down and the value of the cash reserves is forced up to the point not even the billionaires will be able to compete with us in the transfer market. When that moment comes he will be hailed a genius for what he has done over the past decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    US businessman Andy Beal saw the 2008 crash years in advance and liquidated all his assets because during recession years the value of money goes up and the value of assets goes down. A number of leading economists are saying there's another crash coming soon (thanks to the banks giving out retarded mortgages again). Wenger's waiting for the new economic crash to hit where the value of players will be forced down and the value of the cash reserves is forced up to the point not even the billionaires will be able to compete with us in the transfer market. When that moment comes he will be hailed a genius for what he has done over the past decade.

ReputationRep:
    LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whether we get Suarez or not Wenger has been negligent the past 2 transfer windows, you can go on about patience but the season starts in 4 days and we have 18 players, we got CL qualifiers too which mean we are looking at 4 games in 2 weeks with 1 striker, 2 centrebacks and no proper defensive mid still. I saw him going on about how other teams moved very quickly this window and we got caught cold which has to be the most pathetic excuse going

ReputationRep:
    So now Suarez is more or less over, who should Arsenal turn to?

- Rooney - although Chelsea are interested in him, he would be a phenomenal signing. But have we the time to take on Chelsea and play games until deadline day?

- Michu - banged in goals for fun last year but is he good enough for a team that is aiming for the title? And would it be wise to spend near enough £20m on him? It's a risk but have we any option?

- Dzeko - a top striker, just not given a real chance at City. Seems like Pellegrini is keen on keeping him.

- Huntelaar - might not be the big name we want, but I'm sure he'll score a few. Then again, is he good enough? Didn't make it at AC but scoring plenty in Germany.

Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Whether we get Suarez or not Wenger has been negligent the past 2 transfer windows, you can go on about patience but the season starts in 4 days and we have 18 players, we got CL qualifiers too which mean we are looking at 4 games in 2 weeks with 1 striker, 2 centrebacks and no proper defensive mid still. I saw him going on about how other teams moved very quickly this window and we got caught cold which has to be the most pathetic excuse going
    This reminds of the wretched 2011 but possibly worse. We're seriously short in number and quality. I can't believe Wenger is doing this again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think we should go all out on a creative left winger rather than a striker. Walcott and Podolski are both direct, last year we struggled to break some teams down because of this. Willian is supposedly available and would be a good option I reckon.

Giroud has looked good in pre season and had a decent first year, he should only get better this season. I think if Suarez had joined he would of been played on the left as an inside forward rather than straight up top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Huh? Think this is bull. Of course he wasn't going to get a work permit but that wouldn't be the reason of not signing him. If we haven't/ aren't going to signed him, it's because he didn't impress Wenger enough.

Surprise surprise, it was broken by another psuedo ITK pretending he knows it all :facepalm2:
    Been confirmed by SSN. Wasn't bull****. Source must've known something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I think we should go all out on a creative left winger rather than a striker. Walcott and Podolski are both direct, last year we struggled to break some teams down because of this. Willian is supposedly available and would be a good option I reckon.

Giroud has looked good in pre season and had a decent first year, he should only get better this season. I think if Suarez had joined he would of been played on the left as an inside forward rather than straight up top.
    I just don't think Walcott, Podolski and Giroud are good enough to be our main striker. We need someone who's gonna score more or less every game and at least 25 PL goals without a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    So now Suarez is more or less over, who should Arsenal turn to?

- Rooney - although Chelsea are interested in him, he would be a phenomenal signing. But have we the time to take on Chelsea and play games until deadline day?

- Michu - banged in goals for fun last year but is he good enough for a team that is aiming for the title? And would it be wise to spend near enough £20m on him? It's a risk but have we any option?

- Dzeko - a top striker, just not given a real chance at City. Seems like Pellegrini is keen on keeping him.

- Huntelaar - might not be the big name we want, but I'm sure he'll score a few. Then again, is he good enough? Didn't make it at AC but scoring plenty in Germany.

Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hernandez! I don't want him to leave but Moyes hasn't even played him in pre-season and there's been a lot of talk of him leaving recently most noticeably as a player plus cash deal for Bale.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.