Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys not think that Sony had this hack attack thing coming to them, after all of the **** Sony has put their customers through in the past with removing features, crippling devices and charging extortionate prices for content on PSN.

It's time they realised people are not happy with their evil regime.

(This is coming from a PS3 owner.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott1541)
    Do you guys not think that Sony had this hack attack thing coming to them, after all of the **** Sony has put their customers through in the past with removing features, crippling devices and charging extortionate prices for content on PSN.

It's time they realised people are not happy with their evil regime.

(This is coming from a PS3 owner.)
    George Hotz is a very talented independent software developer and is very much celebrated in the modding and hacking community. If Sony thought that their ridiculous legal action against him wouldn't have consequences, I begin to question their sanity.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this must be one of the biggest security breaches in history. I'll have to keep on eye on my bank accounts as I can't remember which card I set up on PSN. Luckily, the email I use for PSN isn't my main email address so they won't be able access my paypal or anything similar.

This probably isn't the work of anonymous or supporters of George Hotz as they were only DDoSing the network. This looks like the hackers were specifically after personal info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGuy)
    When you register for PSN they ask you for ALL personal information, including your address. If you have a PSN account, they will also have your credit card information (Sony hasn't denied or confirmed whether credit card info has been stolen yet, but my guess is it has otherwise they would have denied it straight away.)
    So, even if we haven't purchased anything directly from Sony via the PSN store, they still have our credit card details?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seasick Steve)
    So, even if we haven't purchased anything directly from Sony via the PSN store, they still have our credit card details?
    They will only have access to your credit/debit card details if you entered them on your account.

ReputationRep:
    This is the most irritating thing to happen, how else am I going to procrastinate during revision?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I realise people are concerned with their card details etc. aren't they encrypted when stored in the database? Even my team implemented that feature for our database coursework (and for passwords).

ReputationRep:
    George Hotz is a very talented independent software developer and is very much celebrated in the modding and hacking community. If Sony thought that their ridiculous legal action against him wouldn't have consequences, I begin to question their sanity.
    In my post I was referring much more to the impacts of Sony on the average gamer/user rather than hackers, but yes the hackers would have a role within this.

For example when Sony discovered that the Other OS feature was a back door for hackers rather then correcting the issue they just removed the whole thing, angering many people.

I have also heard something about Sony disabling third party devices like turbo controllers and remote controls on the PS3, but I'm not sure about the reliability of this information.

All of their actions in recent years just make me think whether or not Sony actually wants customers at all. I know there are many other people around the internet that feel the same way about this as me.

ReputationRep:
    OK panicking like a mad man here. I had a seperate email for PSN and different password for it as well, is it likely the hackers can do anything? Also thankfully didn't save anything to do with my card on PSN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott1541)
    In my post I was referring much more to the impacts of Sony on the average gamer/user rather than hackers, but yes the hackers would have a role within this.

For example when Sony discovered that the Other OS feature was a back door for hackers rather then correcting the issue they just removed the whole thing, angering many people.

I have also heard something about Sony disabling third party devices like turbo controllers and remote controls on the PS3, but I'm not sure about the reliability of this information.

All of their actions in recent years just make me think whether or not Sony actually wants customers at all. I know there are many other people around the internet that feel the same way about this as me.

They're a profit driven business. Of course they want customers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    I realise people are concerned with their card details etc. aren't they encrypted when stored in the database? Even my team implemented that feature for our database coursework (and for passwords).
    They should be encrypted, but if the attackers had access to the network, the key could have been intercepted.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    They should be encrypted, but if the attackers had access to the network, the key could have been intercepted.
    Oh yeah, good point, last semester of networks. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, good point, last semester of networks. :rolleyes:
    The fact they managed to get dev/admin accounts meant as soon as they were inside they had access to everything anyway
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    The fact they managed to get dev/admin accounts meant as soon as they were inside they had access to everything anyway
    Go back to work. I should too. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Go back to work. I should too. :sigh:
    just saying - though at my work my dev account doesnt get me access to all databases as you have to request access via appropriate mechanisms, makes you wonder about their setup tbh

and im also getting tons of grief from the support guys who are all on xbox, its like their trying to groom me to get one ffs :facepalm2: - their loving every second of it which is even more infuriating lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm a sad panda.

ReputationRep:
    You know what the most annoying thing is?

It's the smugness of those with 360s, who are loving every second of this.

I bought a PS3 because their beloved Halo means nothing to me - my console has a built in blu-ray player, plus a whole load of great exclusive titles, like Unchartered, which I wanted more. How dare they say "should have got a 360" when they gladly put just as many of their personal details on a different on-line network.

I almost wish that Xbox live was similarly hacked, so that those clueless morons would just shut up and have some respect.
    Nobody deserves to have their details stolen for choosing the "wrong" console.

I think they're smug that Microsoft have implemented better security methods than Sony. To be fair though, considering that you have to pay for the Xbox Live service, it is better considering that Microsoft have more money to play about with. You do get what you pay for I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    I think they're smug that Microsoft have implemented better security methods than Sony. To be fair though, considering that you have to pay for the Xbox Live service, it is better considering that Microsoft have more money to play about with. You do get what you pay for I guess.
    Exactly. Generally Xbox Live is miles ahead of the PSN, but that's something I've willing to accept (for now) because of the other advantages the PS3 has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Who's to say Microsoft have better security, maybe nobody has tried to have a proper go at them.

Also: The PS3 is more expensive and while I don't pay monthly for PSN, I do put money on it.
    It's not as if there was a "more security" option for £4.99 a month either. Quite simply, I do not expect this to happen on ANY service. You don't get some kind of special moral high ground because your on-line service is more expensive.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.