Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelia95)
    HELP PLEASE!!!!!

If I missed the grades but got into my INSURANCE then do I have to go to it even though I don't want to anymore? Would I still be able to go through clearing as well?

Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are legally obligated to attend, but you can call them up and ask them to release you from the course. They do not have to do this, but they most likely wouldn't have a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelia95)
    HELP PLEASE!!!!!

If I missed the grades but got into my INSURANCE then do I have to go to it even though I don't want to anymore? Would I still be able to go through clearing as well?

Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can call up your insurance to release you - it might be worth calling now, so you don't lose any time in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxMagicMezziexX)
    Its just another home store, we have just had 2 new ones opened in Milton Keynes, cheap :')
    I have one small Wilko store near me!
    Although I did buy some toilet paper I am living in halls so shouldn't really need it!
    Ohh. I heard some students say that you'd need toilet paper when you first move into halls.. I thought that we had to provide that sort of things. I didn't know the uni did xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta123)
    Wrong, you need an 80% at AS minimum and 90% at A2. You could get 79 UMS at AS and 100 UMS at A2 which is 179 and not get an A*. Someone who gets 80 at AS and 90 at A2 will have 170 UMS which is less than 179 but still an A*.
    Haha you are so deluded it's unreal. Your teachers are feeding you false information.. You need 80% overall, 90% at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeez. Tomorrow is going to be an awful day.

ReputationRep:
    Did everyone get that The Source magazine from UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    My school has just sent me three emails about clearing.... Urm :puppyeyes::mute:

ReputationRep:
    when can u see your clearing number??

plz reply 2 me!! i need 2 no!!:mad::confused::o:p:confused::cool::mad::mad::mad::mad:

lol why i got 2 thumbs down???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm.xo)
    This nearly made me **** myself
    lol - you thought I'd got a real one this year? Soz.

I was unsure if we'd have to add them all up ourselves or if they gve us the overall grade as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColourDog)
    My school has just sent me three emails about clearing.... Urm :puppyeyes::mute:
    Dat emoticon...

ReputationRep:
    If I've firmed a course, fixed accommodation etc, then miss that course, but meet the minimum requirements for clearing for another course at the same university, chances of being accepted? Thinking about engineering, also if anyone knows which engineering course is the most theoretical (besides chemical), would appreciate. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta123)
    Wrong, you need an 80% at AS minimum and 90% at A2. You could get 79 UMS at AS and 100 UMS at A2 which is 179 and not get an A*. Someone who gets 80 at AS and 90 at A2 will have 170 UMS which is less than 179 but still an A*.
    Are you CCEA, CIE? They're different. You're both right for different boards.

(Original post by ChelseyDagger)
    I re-sat AS levels this year after getting two D's an E and a U last year, I'm hoping for ABC tomorrow. I sat English Literature (Sylvia Plath and Oleanna), Ethics and Philosophy and History (Nazi Germany and Tudor England) I think they were all WJEC so no grade boundaries yet...what did everyone else think of exams?

Sweating it!
    I did the WJEC one! But I did British (1880c-1980) for HY1!
    (Original post by JOR2010)
    Haha you are so deluded it's unreal. Your teachers are feeding you false information.. You need 80% overall, 90% at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's most exam boards, he's probably CCEA.

ReputationRep:
    If I don't get into my firm choice, do I automatically get into my insurance or do I have to phone them up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JOR2010)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    << This for AQA. (aprt from Pure Core maths where you need 80% overall and an average of 90 or over in PC3 and PC4 only)

ReputationRep:
    Do teachers get our results today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kircheis)
    If I don't get into my firm choice, do I automatically get into my insurance or do I have to phone them up?
    You automatically get in (provided you get the grades, of course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needtosucceed=))
    same! do you think you've got it?
    A*BB or A*AB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    I might be rude, and I might come across as generalising, but at least I base my generalisations on real-life observations.

Is this a funny way of saying that all of your evidence is anecdotal?
    Anecdotes may be prone to mis-generalisations but at least they offer rich data. As long as you have more than an acceptable number of anecdotes, you should be justified in believing that there's a trend.

Kids who go to private schools or have pushy parents that shove textbooks down their throats always end up at a much better place than everyone else, it's not right.

It is actually a case that kids who work harder (or are simply more intelligent than you) end up at better places, which is completely fair. Pushy parents/teachers are one way of achieving this but ultimately the person who sits the exams is you and it is completely down to you where you end up, not anyone else.
    But all too often it's the case that they work harder because they are pushed or because they are instilled with a good work ethic. The latter is not a bad thing, nor necessarily is the former, provided your parents don't place unrealistic expectations which get in the way of you enjoying your youth. Yes, the person who sits the exams is you, but at a young age, you are very impressionable, and if your parents are bad role models, you're more likely to imitate their indifference...

Class has such a strong influence on someone's achievement, it makes me sick. Education in this country is rigged. It's a joke.

Really? Do those nasty private school kids go into the exams with copies of the solutions from the examiner? No. The exam is completely fair. They might prepare better for it but at the end of the day your preparation is in your own hands.
    Maybe not, but smaller class sizes and more individual attention from teachers, as well as longer school days (and in some cases, 6 school days a week) definitely pays off. Not to mention being able to learn at a place with a zero-bullying tolerance that's actually taken very seriously, and the luxury of not having to be taught in the same room as those 1 or 2 destined-to-be-criminals, which, believe me, you'll find in almost every state school class, while less 'with-it' kids dread every lesson and spend most of their time wondering how they'll be victimised or humiliated next, which is a huge distraction to their learning. This might sound daft to people who have never been to a state secondary school, but the chavs and the scum are usually at the top of the social hierarchy. Sometimes you have to side with the powerful and join in with the bullying in order to survive!

Whenever school inspectors come into classrooms for their yearly duties, pupils are threatened by their teachers beforehand to act on their best behaviour. All these conclusions that state schools are satisfactory is based on evidence that doesn't quite reflect what actually goes on behind closed doors. Bullying is far worse at state schools than it is at private schools. Even kids who aren't bullied go through a lot of fear. It's this uncomfortable environment that drags state school kids down. I'm not talking about violence, I'm talking about serious emotional bullying that can really scar you.

Sure, when you reach GCSE/6th form, bullying occurs less, but those feelings of ostracisation and lovesickness become your next problem when that girl you're obsessed with gets a boyfriend, leaving you feeling suicidal, as she hangs out in her elite little clique that only welcomes those who survived Years 7 - 9 unscathed. Then, as soon as she turns 16, rumours flood the playground that she's having sex with this joke of a person, while you lie on your bed alone, crying and masterbating...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseBrilliante)
    Dat emoticon...
    i know :puppyeyes:
    I was just looking through them :puppyeyes: and then :puppyeyes::puppyeyes::puppyeyes::puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikz94)
    thanks and to you too aswell
    thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.