Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jantaculum)
    You have every right to be irritated by it & your analysis is correct - and your course manager probably said much the same thing as you when her line manager set her those targets!
    Haha, I think it was not so much the line manager but the person who previously ran the course! Only thing is, it is probably easier to get 6/7 people onto Outstanding than it is to get 19 people onto it!

I haven't said anything about it to her, or even anywhere near her. She's been pretty stressed since January (when you look at things, this has been her annus horribilis!) and is now stressing other people out. Whilst it is all very well and good to try and push people to the top grade, I think due to a combination of things, she is going about it in the wrong way. I'm just going to keep going as I am - if I can get Outstanding, great, but if not then I'm happy with Good.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone... been off the forum for a while now!

I got a job this week, at what seems like a really lovely girls' grammar school, so pretty chuffed about that

I think I've been incredibly lucky with my placements and mentors in that they have been very supportive and quite laid back (my current one more so than my first which I think is a good way around) while others on my course are really stuggling with difficult mentors and very harsh criticism. Realy drives it home how much enjoyment/getting through this course - and, I suspect, teaching itself - is down to luck of where you end up being placed/getting a job!

Only 5 teaching weeks to go for me. How long does everyone ele have left?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_box)
    Hello everyone... been off the forum for a while now!

I got a job this week, at what seems like a really lovely girls' grammar school, so pretty chuffed about that

I think I've been incredibly lucky with my placements and mentors in that they have been very supportive and quite laid back (my current one more so than my first which I think is a good way around) while others on my course are really stuggling with difficult mentors and very harsh criticism. Realy drives it home how much enjoyment/getting through this course - and, I suspect, teaching itself - is down to luck of where you end up being placed/getting a job!

Only 5 teaching weeks to go for me. How long does everyone ele have left?
    Congratulations on the job! I have another two interviews this week so hopefully something will finally come up for me now!

I have 7 teaching weeks left, which just feels so bizarre! This last placement has gone so fast so far, and I'm finding it so much more relaxed than the last one. I can't work out if the change is just my development as a teacher, that KS1 in general is less stressful or that I'm just better suited to KS1 personally. But I'm happy with it!

I've had a mixed bag on placements. My first one was pretty rubbish- I didn't like the school, my mentor was laid back to the point of doing almost nothing to help me plan or give me advice and my class' behaviour was horrendous. But this last placement has been a total turn around. My mentor leaves me alone a lot but I like that, and she's so helpful when she observes.

I've been told that my current class are very difficult to manage but I actually don't find them so. I think my ridiculously bad first class has toughened me up and by comparison no class will seem bad haha. I actually found it spooky when I went for an interview lesson and all the children did as they were asked without fussing or complaining!

ReputationRep:
    Currently on my third mentor since September. Loving life at the moment! The end is near! When do all my flow school direct friends finish? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm in my last 5 weeks of my final placement, I'm enjoying it but it's hard work as you all know! I just want a bit of advice on something:
    I have a son in primary school and I have in after school club but it only runs till 5. Which means I have to leave school no later than 4:30pm. My husband gets days off in the week if he works weekends which alternates and never the same days off. This means I can stay later on those days if needed, if I need to stay for meetings or parents evenings I get my husband to swop his shift or ask my mum to pick him up (which is much harder than it seems as she has to get 3 buses to do this). basically what I am asking is how late are you expected to stay in school? I get all my planning done in the evenings and weekends and always on time with no issues, I don't miss anything at school. I would happily stay later but due to having a 7 year old and my husband is on shifts where he can take my son to school and I have to pick him up. Because of this I am in school no later than 7:30am to ensure I'm putting the same hours and don't run out of time after school.
    I hope I've been clear?! The reason I'm worrying is that I feel my new mentor thinks I just go home and have it easy which is clearly not the case I obviously have commitments I have to work around. She hasnt said anything about this particularly but I don't want her to use it against me.... She doesn't seem to like me or make any effort to interact with me and when I talk to her she's very short with me... I'm putting it down to her own busy workload as she is Hod and is usually still there when I leave. I don't know, just I am worried that it'll be brought up and I won't know where I stand or what other trainees with kids do.
    Oh and I've looked into childminders to pick him up from school and it is not only over £100 a week but they will not pick up from his school as it's no where near them, my mum retires soon so I can ask her to have him each day after this year but unfortunately I can't do much at the moment.
    Thanks all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerribarrett86)
    Hi everyone,
    I'm in my last 5 weeks of my final placement, I'm enjoying it but it's hard work as you all know! I just want a bit of advice on something:
    I have a son in primary school and I have in after school club but it only runs till 5. Which means I have to leave school no later than 4:30pm. My husband gets days off in the week if he works weekends which alternates and never the same days off. This means I can stay later on those days if needed, if I need to stay for meetings or parents evenings I get my husband to swop his shift or ask my mum to pick him up (which is much harder than it seems as she has to get 3 buses to do this). basically what I am asking is how late are you expected to stay in school? I get all my planning done in the evenings and weekends and always on time with no issues, I don't miss anything at school. I would happily stay later but due to having a 7 year old and my husband is on shifts where he can take my son to school and I have to pick him up. Because of this I am in school no later than 7:30am to ensure I'm putting the same hours and don't run out of time after school.
    I hope I've been clear?! The reason I'm worrying is that I feel my new mentor thinks I just go home and have it easy which is clearly not the case I obviously have commitments I have to work around. She hasnt said anything about this particularly but I don't want her to use it against me.... She doesn't seem to like me or make any effort to interact with me and when I talk to her she's very short with me... I'm putting it down to her own busy workload as she is Hod and is usually still there when I leave. I don't know, just I am worried that it'll be brought up and I won't know where I stand or what other trainees with kids do.
    Oh and I've looked into childminders to pick him up from school and it is not only over £100 a week but they will not pick up from his school as it's no where near them, my mum retires soon so I can ask her to have him each day after this year but unfortunately I can't do much at the moment.
    Thanks all!
    Hi,

from the sounds of it, you are doing secondary teaching? I don't know much about that as I'm doing primary, but I can still give my experience and advice

I tend to do as much work as possible during the week, meaning that I don't really take work home with me if I can avoid it. If at all possible, I do all my planning and preparation at school during my PPA time, meaning that my weekends are more free to relax. However, that doesn't happen that much, so my weekends are spent with planning and prep.

Even so, I try to be gone from school as early as possibly in the week. I do my marking at school, and then go home. As I teach most of the days I'm in class, that's quite a lot of marking each day, so I'm usually at school marking until half 5. On the day of the staff meeting, which goes until 5, I then have my marking to do afterwards.

The best thing about my school is that, as long as things get done, no one cares what time I leave. They know me well enough to know that I work hard and get things done. Last week, I had to leave school before 4:30, and this coming week I will have to leave before 4pm for an appointment. They won't mind, as long as they know that it will happen.

Is your current mentor the only person in the school who you have contact with? By that, I mean is she the only person that looks after you and supports you as a student? If so, you need to try and find a time where she is less likely to be stressed and short (although what with approaching exams, that may be tricky!) and ask her for her views on the matter. It was one of the first things I asked when I started my placements, because I wanted to be sure that leaving early wouldn't cause problems for anyone.

If you can't find a situation where talking about it is appropriate, then just carry on. There are plenty of teachers who leave school early and have good reasons for doing so. As long as you keep up the good work and make sure that there are no reasons for them to have a problem, then if it is brought up at any point, you can explain your reasons calmly, and then show that it hasn't had any effect on the work you have had to do. It'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    Hi,

from the sounds of it, you are doing secondary teaching? I don't know much about that as I'm doing primary, but I can still give my experience and advice

I tend to do as much work as possible during the week, meaning that I don't really take work home with me if I can avoid it. If at all possible, I do all my planning and preparation at school during my PPA time, meaning that my weekends are more free to relax. However, that doesn't happen that much, so my weekends are spent with planning and prep.

Even so, I try to be gone from school as early as possibly in the week. I do my marking at school, and then go home. As I teach most of the days I'm in class, that's quite a lot of marking each day, so I'm usually at school marking until half 5. On the day of the staff meeting, which goes until 5, I then have my marking to do afterwards.

The best thing about my school is that, as long as things get done, no one cares what time I leave. They know me well enough to know that I work hard and get things done. Last week, I had to leave school before 4:30, and this coming week I will have to leave before 4pm for an appointment. They won't mind, as long as they know that it will happen.

Is your current mentor the only person in the school who you have contact with? By that, I mean is she the only person that looks after you and supports you as a student? If so, you need to try and find a time where she is less likely to be stressed and short (although what with approaching exams, that may be tricky!) and ask her for her views on the matter. It was one of the first things I asked when I started my placements, because I wanted to be sure that leaving early wouldn't cause problems for anyone.

If you can't find a situation where talking about it is appropriate, then just carry on. There are plenty of teachers who leave school early and have good reasons for doing so. As long as you keep up the good work and make sure that there are no reasons for them to have a problem, then if it is brought up at any point, you can explain your reasons calmly, and then show that it hasn't had any effect on the work you have had to do. It'll be fine
    THANKS! Yes I'm doing a secondary D&T PGCE, and I always ensure marking is done and planning is done and all resources. I have my PLC who is incredibly supportive and the other teachers who I mainly work with are great, I really enjoy each day! I teach every day and have about 8 frees at 50 minutes spread over which is not enough to get all 18 lessons planned as they still take me about 30 minutes each then resources adds on more. I spend around 15 hrs planning on top of my Prep time given. I get done what is needed in school before I leave and never leave before that. I had my masters assignment due last week so I was behind in lesson planning so only gave my lesson plans about 48hrs before and one the day before, which she is copied in on, but I'm usually really on top of it, She wants them in 5 days before the lesson, but sometimes this is not possible as I have lessons with a class then another lesson 2 days later and you can't plan fully without knowing what was done the lesson before. I'm super organised as I have to be to balance home and work, but I don't think sees how hard I am working, other teachers praise me for my planning and organisation but they don't pass or fail me. Like I said I have said that my sons after school club is only until 5 to her lots of times, and I've spoke in front her to other teachers about how annoying the time it closes is, and how I can't afford much more at the moment and can't move his school during his last year in infants and his ks1 SATs.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks all!
    I'm an NQT, and have to be in from 8:30-3:30, when no meetings etc. are going on. Nobody cares if you are around after that (except I guess that it makes a good impression if you are running extra-curricular activities etc.). We currently have a trainee teacher in the department who leaves at 3:30 in order to pick up his children a couple of times a week; nothing has been said behind his back and nobody is bothered. One of the good things about teaching is this flexibility - I tend to work 8:00-17:00, but knowing that I can leave earlier if I need to is a good buffer if I'm feeling overburdened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    I'm an NQT, and have to be in from 8:30-3:30, when no meetings etc. are going on. Nobody cares if you are around after that (except I guess that it makes a good impression if you are running extra-curricular activities etc.). We currently have a trainee teacher in the department who leaves at 3:30 in order to pick up his children a couple of times a week; nothing has been said behind his back and nobody is bothered. One of the good things about teaching is this flexibility - I tend to work 8:00-17:00, but knowing that I can leave earlier if I need to is a good buffer if I'm feeling overburdened.
    You have a great team! In my last placement it was never an issue, teachers left school when they were done, or took their work home with them. I think it depends on the school and what they expect, all the teachers in my department have either no kids or grown up children so can stay till 5/ 5:30 to ensure they don't take work home. My PLC is the only one with kids and he's the most supportive. I have worked full time with my son since he was 4 months old, but I got a very good pay and the majority of it was in nursery where they opened till 6:30. I have come this far and had good mentors, maybe I'm just worrying as she is so snappy and short with me... I'm really nice too, try to always smile even when I feel like crying lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You have a great team! In my last placement it was never an issue, teachers left school when they were done, or took their work home with them. I think it depends on the school and what they expect, all the teachers in my department have either no kids or grown up children so can stay till 5/ 5:30 to ensure they don't take work home. My PLC is the only one with kids and he's the most supportive. I have worked full time with my son since he was 4 months old, but I got a very good pay and the majority of it was in nursery where they opened till 6:30. I have come this far and had good mentors, maybe I'm just worrying as she is so snappy and short with me... I'm really nice too, try to always smile even when I feel like crying lol
    That's definitely true. It's amazing what a difference the happiness of a department can make to how much you enjoy the career. Above everything else that's the thing to look out for when thinking about jobs - would I get on with the team?

Teaching is a very stressful job, particularly as HoD. And this is one of the times of year when everything comes to boiling point, with stress proportional to the number of exam classes you have (as a HoD I would imagine there are an awful lot). Most teachers handle this well, but unfortunately some take it out on others - pupils, other members of staff and PGCE students. Try not to take it personally, as it rarely is.

ReputationRep:
    THANKS! Yes I'm doing a secondary D&T PGCE, and I always ensure marking is done and planning is done and all resources. I have my PLC who is incredibly supportive and the other teachers who I mainly work with are great, I really enjoy each day! I teach every day and have about 8 frees at 50 minutes spread over which is not enough to get all 18 lessons planned as they still take me about 30 minutes each then resources adds on more. I spend around 15 hrs planning on top of my Prep time given. I get done what is needed in school before I leave and never leave before that. I had my masters assignment due last week so I was behind in lesson planning so only gave my lesson plans about 48hrs before and one the day before, which she is copied in on, but I'm usually really on top of it, She wants them in 5 days before the lesson, but sometimes this is not possible as I have lessons with a class then another lesson 2 days later and you can't plan fully without knowing what was done the lesson before. I'm super organised as I have to be to balance home and work, but I don't think sees how hard I am working, other teachers praise me for my planning and organisation but they don't pass or fail me. Like I said I have said that my sons after school club is only until 5 to her lots of times, and I've spoke in front her to other teachers about how annoying the time it closes is, and how I can't afford much more at the moment and can't move his school during his last year in infants and his ks1 SATs.
    You sound like a very responsible person, both as a teacher and as a mum.

From what I am aware, she cannot fail you based on the fact that you go home earlier than she does. There will have to be a discussion between her and other people about the grade she gives you, especially if she tries to fail you. At which point, you should be able to back up your side of the story with all the work you have produced.

I agree that it is a stressful time of year for all teachers. The KS1 and KS2 SATs are about to happen, which means that primary teachers are also under a bit of pressure too. I also agree that some people don't handle the stress as well as others, and end up taking it out on undeserving people. I think you should just carry on as you are, and try not to let it get to you. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    You sound like a very responsible person, both as a teacher and as a mum.

From what I am aware, she cannot fail you based on the fact that you go home earlier than she does. There will have to be a discussion between her and other people about the grade she gives you, especially if she tries to fail you. At which point, you should be able to back up your side of the story with all the work you have produced.

I agree that it is a stressful time of year for all teachers. The KS1 and KS2 SATs are about to happen, which means that primary teachers are also under a bit of pressure too. I also agree that some people don't handle the stress as well as others, and end up taking it out on undeserving people. I think you should just carry on as you are, and try not to let it get to you. Good luck!

I agree with this!

For teachers who have young/er children, it's perfectly normal to leave at an earlier time. One of my mentors always left at the same time every day (I think it was around 4:30 like you) to get her kids. She would get them and she said she went in to 'mummy mode' for fun, tea, homework, bedtime, then after they were in bed she went back in to 'teacher mode' to get all her work done. She was an amazing teacher and did so much work, everything done in plenty of time. It's whatever works for you - as long as you are sticking within the rules of the school (usually only a max of half an hour each side of 'lesson times').

I completely understand your concern of course - I always felt guilty leaving when someone else was still there working! But you are perfectly justified in doing so as long as you're doing all the work that needs to be done, which you clearly are, and you shouldn't feel bad about it (certainly not because of someone else seeming to be in a bad mood). I'd even go as far as to say, if you find you CAN work well not staying in school for too long in the future, then take advantage of this and do it! It may help keep your work life balance better! Of course, if you are just working more at home to make up for it perhaps not. But essentially, if you can do all your work to a good standard and leave at a reasonable time to pick up your son, that's great, and you shouldn't stop that to please someone else. Setting yourself limits on when to stop is an important part of becoming a good teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone, I've just worked so hard for this I don't want it to be jeopardised. I'll carry on as I am and if brought up I'll give my side professionally. Hopefully she won't bring it up and my worries are for nothing! You've all made me feel a bit more confident though! 😊😊😊

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I was wondering if you can still get your qts award if you fail an assignment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1239)
    Hi guys, I was wondering if you can still get your qts award if you fail an assignment?
    It depends on the course provider. At my university you cannot but there are some course providers who will award QTS but not the PGCE. What happens in these circumstances is usually outlined in the course's handbook/guidelines.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by sarah1239)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Speak with your tutor. As the poster above said - some places do and others don't. I believe my PGCE provider awarded a PgCE (Professional Grade Certificate of Education) if you failed the assignments at a masters level, but passed them at a bachelors level. I believe this came with QTS (to my knowledge no-one on my course was in a position to take it up).

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

I have just got my offers in today for PGCE in Chemistry. I am so happy I got in but I would love to hear about people's student experiences.

I would really like to hear from students who are studying or have graduated from King's or UCL or from a SCITT programme? How was the content of the course? How were the lecturers? The schools? Did you enjoy the course? Most importantly, how was the support on the course? Any other reflections on the course?

Thank you for any advice you can give me!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by angel89624)
    Hi Everyone!

I have just got my offers in today for PGCE in Chemistry. I am so happy I got in but I would love to hear about people's student experiences.

I would really like to hear from students who are studying or have graduated from King's or UCL or from a SCITT programme? How was the content of the course? How were the lecturers? The schools? Did you enjoy the course? Most importantly, how was the support on the course? Any other reflections on the course?

Thank you for any advice you can give me!
    The UCL IoE science team is brilliant. Subject sessions were both enjoyable and full of information. I can't recommend them highly enough. Support was good, and most people enjoyed the course. Feel free to ask any questions you want answered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    The UCL IoE science team is brilliant. Subject sessions were both enjoyable and full of information. I can't recommend them highly enough. Support was good, and most people enjoyed the course. Feel free to ask any questions you want answered.
    Thank you so much for replying. This is of great comfort to me. I'm so glad to hear that there's good support. That is my number one priority, to know that if I need help, I'll get it.

Did you live in London whilst you were doing your PGCE? How were the travel times? I'm trying to decide whether to come London

How did people do on the course? Did most poeple pass and get an A?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by angel89624)
    Thank you so much for replying. This is of great comfort to me. I'm so glad to hear that there's good support. That is my number one priority, to know that if I need help, I'll get it.

Did you live in London whilst you were doing your PGCE? How were the travel times? I'm trying to decide whether to come London

How did people do on the course? Did most poeple pass and get an A?
    I already lived on the very outskirts of London, so I continued living there. The commute into the IoE was just over an hour long, which whilst not ideal didn't cause too many problems. Both of my placement schools were reasonably close to where I live (if I had driven both were within half an hour).

It's pretty difficult to fail a PGCE if you put the work in. Some people dropped out - that will be the case everywhere, it's a stressful course (and job!) and you can't really know how you will respond to the pressure until you are doing it. A couple of people repeated a term and passed at Christmas. But the large majority of people passed without it ever really being in doubt.

As far as masters assignment grading goes, most people achieved Cs or Bs. Nobody in either physics or physic with maths achieved an A, and in the other disciplines there were only a couple who did so. But this is inconsequential - even if you go on to do the full masters the grades mean nothing for the final classification. The masters essays are good to force you to think about an aspect of teaching in more depth, but you should be choosing a PGCE on the basis of the teaching practice and the staff within your subjects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.