Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Man City have 25. But they're almost all of first team quality. Chelsea have 27. United have 31.
    So we're a bit short in number but a fair bit in quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    by contrast:

Current squad, minus injuries: (as listed on their websites)

Chelsea: 26
    City: 23
    United: 28
    Tottenham: 22
    Liverpool: 29

And we are going to start the season with 16. (including park and bentner.......)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    So we're a bit short in number but a fair bit in quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    a little short on number, 24 vs 28+

Pretty short on quality yes..

But we currently top the tables for injuries... with 8.

Which is what is making the biggest difference, and exposing how thin the squad is..

(united have 7.. but their squaid is 8+players more then arsenals)

ReputationRep:
    :lol: No centre back on the bench against Fenerbache.

Peak

ReputationRep:
    I need this Suarez deal to work out ffs, I used my free bet when it was still 40/1. Prayforme

Also, am I right in thinking that we are still allowed to register one player for the qualifier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh we shouldn't be compared to city, chelsea and united. City and chelsea have almost unlimited funds and united earn millions more than us as a global brand, in sponsorship and merchandise sales.

I think some fans expect too much given our resources. Even £70-80m is nothing these days to add depth in the way the other three clubs have. So we get a suarez or a rooney and a gustavo and maybe an additional CB, look behind the starting 11 and we're still at bare bones.

ReputationRep:
    Suarez says the 'love of the fans' is making him stay.

The guy is a moron. Leaves you guys with 2 weeks to buy a different player...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Tbh we shouldn't be compared to city, chelsea and united. City and chelsea have almost unlimited funds and united earn millions more than us as a global brand, in sponsorship and merchandise sales.

I think some fans expect too much given our resources. Even £70-80m is nothing these days to add depth in the way the other three clubs have. So we get a suarez or a rooney and a gustavo and maybe an additional CB, look behind the starting 11 and we're still at bare bones.
    they are arsenals main rivals for trophys and titles..

ofcourse arsenal should be comparing themselves to those clubs!

(though with the understanding of resources, and how.. despite striving for that, it should be understnadable that things will be harder for a club without hundreds of millions to spend each year..)

ReputationRep:

Their funds have **** all to do with us in terms of why we still haven't spent anything with 3 days to go till the season kicks off . We could easily spend £100 million without any repercussions if I'm not mistaken. I somewhat understand the Suarez hold up, but don't understand why we haven't strengthened in other positions, ie CB, DM, etc.

(Original post by Yawn-er)

Apparently he didn't say that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)

Apparently he denied the comments being reported after the Uruguay friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    Apparently he denied the comments being reported after the Uruguay friendly.
    (Original post by Derrick1509)
    Apparently he didn't say that.
    Do you have the source for the quotes saying he's denied those reports? The Guardian is onto the quotes saying he's staying.

The guy has problems. He'd be an instant boost to your team, but guaranteed controversy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    :lol: No centre back on the bench against Fenerbache.

Peak
    Sagna to the rescue!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, we haven't been close to any of them for about 3 years now. Rivals for 4th have been bigger for us. We were looking at spurs and Everton more than the top 3 after about November...

Where's the evidence of the £100m? The fact is no one knows what happening with regards to arsenal finances, is korenke draining us, has the stadium been paid off yet, or do we have the £80m.

think about depth, it's something we don't have and won't be getting anytime soon. When city have injuries to aguero et al they have other top top players who step in. We don't have that. £80-100m is probably just enough to sort out our first team and maybe backup for 2 positions.

ReputationRep:
    Well, we haven't been close to any of them for about 3 years now. Rivals for 4th have been bigger for us. We were looking at spurs and Everton more than the top 3 after about November...

Where's the evidence of the £100m? The fact is no one knows what happening with regards to arsenal finances, is korenke draining us, has the stadium been paid off yet, or do we have the £80m.
    The club as a PLC publishes the books every year and thats where the evidence is, you can find very good analyses of it online if you actually look

ReputationRep:

Where's the evidence of the £100m? The fact is no one knows what happening with regards to arsenal finances, is korenke draining us, has the stadium been paid off yet, or do we have the £80m
    You might not know what is happening, but the information is certainly out there. No Kroenke isn't taking dividends (that doesn't mean he won't in the future, though), no the stadium debt hasn't been paid off (and won't be until 2031) and yes we do have money there that can be spent (although if Wenger does is another question entirely).

This is an interesting read on Arsenal's finances if you have the time - http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    You might not know what is happening, but the information is certainly out there. No Kroenke isn't taking dividends (that doesn't mean he won't in the future, though), no the stadium debt hasn't been paid off (and won't be until 2031) and yes we do have money there that can be spent (although if Wenger does is another question entirely).

This is an interesting read on Arsenal's finances if you have the time - http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/.
    Thanks. Will read some of it. I thought stadium wasn't paid off. But I personally still think we will lack depth unless wenger buys 7 average players and no top striker.

reading it now, great article

ReputationRep:
    So if there is all this money, the article says as much as £100m, why aren't we spending it? It's no good saying we are trying because that is nonsense. If we really wanted players by now, we could have bought them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    So if there is all this money, the article says as much as £100m, why aren't we spending it? It's no good saying we are trying because that is nonsense. If we really wanted players by now, we could have bought them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think this cash reserve is Hindering our ability somewhat. Teams know we're desperate, gazidis opened his big mouth informing the world that arsenal are in fact rich, add in wenger's masters in economics and you equal stalemate is what I'm thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Temporarily modding in Football guys, be on your best behaviour

Reckon Suárez is nailed on staying at Pool now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Temporarily modding in Football guys, be on your best behaviour
    No

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.