Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceJJFish(II))
    Yeah agree with everything you said above. Can't claim I'm massively knowledgable but what I do know matches up with what you've said. Tbh you're sorted as well, Russell Group uni degrees are favoured amongst others no matter what anyone says, suppose that's just how it is.

I'm at Leeds uni, York don't do dentistry unfortunately. We regularly argue about who's uni is better though :laugh:
    I can only be honest with my views on this. I can't lie or hide what I think. I really like the idea of the Russell Group. Both my folks and my brother went to them, so I was very keen to gain entry to one, and there are lots of advantages, one of which is the Study Abroad links. Most unis have it, but the better the uni, the better the partnerships. Thus it was a delight to do that in Second Year. So really that, and the employability made it a no brainer. That's not to say there aren't other great universities in the UK, as there clearly are (St. Andrews and Bath are the first that come to mind and others), but for me, I probably wouldn't have gone had I of not got into one. So I'm very pro-Russell Group as embarrassed as I am to use that phrase.

If you do Dentistry at Leeds Uni your career prospects are pretty good as well. Was Dentistry at Leeds your first choice? From what you were saying yesterday about being jealous of everyone else I thought you were working full time as a cleaner or something. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    I can only be honest with my views on this. I can't lie or hide what I think. I really like the idea of the Russell Group. Both my folks and my brother went to them, so I was very keen to gain entry to one, and there are lots of advantages, one of which is the Study Abroad links. Most unis have it, but the better the uni, the better the partnerships. Thus it was a delight to do that in Second Year. So really that, and the employability made it a no brainer. That's not to say there aren't other great universities in the UK, as there clearly are (St. Andrews and Bath are the first that come to mind and others), but for me, I probably wouldn't have gone had I of not got into one. So I'm very pro-Russell Group as embarrassed as I am to use that phrase.

If you do Dentistry at Leeds Uni your career prospects are pretty good as well. Was Dentistry at Leeds your first choice? From what you were saying yesterday about being jealous of everyone else I thought you were working full time as a cleaner or something. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Yeah I agree. As you did the year abroad a job is pretty much set for you mate. Think you've hit the nail on the head, it's all about contacts and the better the Uni the better these are, links with top firms is only a good thing. The thing a lot of people fail to realise is that even if a Russell group uni is below a non Russell group uni in the rankings, it doesn't matter. Employers don't check these, they go off reputation. So when you apply for grad jobs they'll say, "Eboracum got a 2:1 at York? Interview for him" etc. you won't struggle at all, just keep perservering man.

Leeds wasn't my first choice to be honest, wanted to go to Manchester (would've been closer to OT and gone down whenever I could as well), but was rejected post-interview. Was disappointed but ah well. Prospects yeah I'm guaranteed a job but I don't enjoy that feeling if I'm honest. Call me daft but I look from afar and admire the big city, the corporate job and the 30 year old IB's with M5's and 10/10 partners.

Blind out for up to 6 months, what do you make of this? I think we are royally screwed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree. As you did the year abroad a job is pretty much set for you mate. Think you've hit the nail on the head, it's all about contacts and the better the Uni the better these are, links with top firms is only a good thing. The thing a lot of people fail to realise is that even if a Russell group uni is below a non Russell group uni in the rankings, it doesn't matter. Employers don't check these, they go off reputation. So when you apply for grad jobs they'll say, "Eboracum got a 2:1 at York? Interview for him" etc. you won't struggle at all, just keep perservering man.

Leeds wasn't my first choice to be honest, wanted to go to Manchester (would've been closer to OT and gone down whenever I could as well), but was rejected post-interview. Was disappointed but ah well. Prospects yeah I'm guaranteed a job but I don't enjoy that feeling if I'm honest. Call me daft but I look from afar and admire the big city, the corporate job and the 30 year old IB's with M5's and 10/10 partners.

Blind out for up to 6 months, what do you make of this? I think we are royally screwed.
    That's the thing man. Like I just think we live in an era where even a 2:1 Russell just isn't enough anymore. In the 60s about 4% of school leavers went to uni, so any degree made you special, but now it's about 52%, and even the better unis you'll get up to 80k grads plus a year. When you look at about 50 apps per grad scheme, and for the top ones 150 per grad scheme, it shows you how important it is getting to the next level. So just get your CV as good as possible. I was head of a society in first year, I've done internships in Parliament and Civil Service, study abroad at the most famous uni in Australia, but tbh, even all that I don't consider good enough, thus I'm going to try and go to UCL for the Masters which I feel will take me to the next level. Then if that goes well I'd probably apply for PHDs at top UK/AUS/US/Japan unis. You want to get to a level where you are virtually irresistible to employers in the same way Harvey Specter is to women. That's the level I'm working towards and you should be as well and it sounds as if you are.

Interesting how people's relationships with their siblings differ isn't it. For me, I want my bro to succeed more than me, just our personality types make us that way. We compete on the same side, I practically forced him to apply for postgrad at Oxford when he wanted to work, just because I wanted him to have the status of Oxbridge.

Bang on about your Russell point. Surrey, Loughborough, Bath, good unis, but they are not as good as Manchester, Birmingham or KCL just because they are above them in the UK rankings for me.

Durham was my first choice, and this was my second. So I'm pretty content. Was rejected from Durham, but I have an MA offer from them so it's all good.

Yeah. My mate does Chemistry but he's fed up and dreaming of a life in the city. He basically lives his life by the idea that "greed is good".

Blind isn't out for six months, that was a incorrect tweet says Van Gaal.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah agree with everything you said above. Can't claim I'm massively knowledgable but what I do know matches up with what you've said. Tbh you're sorted as well, Russell Group uni degrees are favoured amongst others no matter what anyone says, suppose that's just how it is.

I'm at Leeds uni, York don't do dentistry unfortunately. We regularly argue about who's uni is better though :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same here. We should hangout and be TSR fwends.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing man. Like I just think we live in an era where even a 2:1 Russell just isn't enough anymore. In the 60s about 4% of school leavers went to uni, so any degree made you special, but now it's about 52%, and even the better unis you'll get up to 80k grads plus a year. When you look at about 50 apps per grad scheme, and for the top ones 150 per grad scheme, it shows you how important it is getting to the next level. So just get your CV as good as possible. I was head of a society in first year, I've done internships in Parliament and Civil Service, study abroad at the most famous uni in Australia, but tbh, even all that I don't consider good enough, thus I'm going to try and go to UCL for the Masters which I feel will take me to the next level. Then if that goes well I'd probably apply for PHDs at top UK/AUS/US/Japan unis. You want to get to a level where you are virtually irresistible to employers in the same way Harvey Specter is to women. That's the level I'm working towards and you should be as well and it sounds as if you are.

Interesting how people's relationships with their siblings differ isn't it. For me, I want my bro to succeed more than me, just our personality types make us that way. We compete on the same side, I practically forced him to apply for postgrad at Oxford when he wanted to work, just because I wanted him to have the status of Oxbridge.

Bang on about your Russell point. Surrey, Loughborough, Bath, good unis, but they are not as good as Manchester, Birmingham or KCL just because they are above them in the UK rankings for me.

Durham was my first choice, and this was my second. So I'm pretty content. Was rejected from Durham, but I have an MA offer from them so it's all good.

Yeah. My mate does Chemistry but he's fed up and dreaming of a life in the city. He basically lives his life by the idea that "greed is good".

Blind isn't out for six months, that was a incorrect tweet says Van Gaal.
    Yeah I see your point, nowadays a degree isn't simply good enough. It's good you've got that ambition though, a lot lack that and it'll take you a long way in life.

I feel you on the wanting more for your sibling point, it's an interesting concept actually. I want us both to be successful, but not too sure on the concept on who's more successful (as in I've never really thought about it ).

Yeah it's a point I hear a lot of people make, which to me smacks a little of desperation/inferiority complex. Ah I see, yeah Durham is a top uni but York equally as good. I can see why he is, having your life mapped out is actually quite a scary concept, you need a bit of spontaneity to make it interesting.

Was it? That's a relief then. I still think we could do with a DM in January if available though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Same here. We should hangout and be TSR fwends.
    Oh you go Leeds uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see your point, nowadays a degree isn't simply good enough. It's good you've got that ambition though, a lot lack that and it'll take you a long way in life.

I feel you on the wanting more for your sibling point, it's an interesting concept actually. I want us both to be successful, but not too sure on the concept on who's more successful (as in I've never really thought about it ).

Yeah it's a point I hear a lot of people make, which to me smacks a little of desperation/inferiority complex. Ah I see, yeah Durham is a top uni but York equally as good. I can see why he is, having your life mapped out is actually quite a scary concept, you need a bit of spontaneity to make it interesting.

Was it? That's a relief then. I still think we could do with a DM in January if available though.
    Yeah man. I live for ambition. I'm always looking ahead thinking about what the next thing is. I find it hard to understand people that don't want to better themselves.

You a first year? Just work out what you want and go for it. It seems doing a Dentistry degree your career path would be quite specific? Like would there be opportunities to go into banking or finance with that? Perhaps if that's what you want after your degree you want to try and get into LSE or UCL for a finance masters of some kind, then you'd be set up well.

I don't agree with accepted conventions about not buying in January. All players are available all the time for the right price. I'd sign four players in January, 2 CBs, a CDM and a striker. Something like Hummels, one other, Vidal and someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah man. I live for ambition. I'm always looking ahead thinking about what the next thing is. I find it hard to understand people that don't want to better themselves.

You a first year? Just work out what you want and go for it. It seems doing a Dentistry degree your career path would be quite specific? Like would there be opportunities to go into banking or finance with that? Perhaps if that's what you want after your degree you want to try and get into LSE or UCL for a finance masters of some kind, then you'd be set up well.

I don't agree with accepted conventions about not buying in January. All players are available all the time for the right price. I'd sign four players in January, 2 CBs, a CDM and a striker. Something like Hummels, one other, Vidal and someone else.
    I think the problem is a lot of people want to better themselves, but don't have the motivation like you to go through with it.

Yeah I'm first year. It's specific yeah, thing is I'm guaranteed near to £100k if I keep going with it tbh. I plan to kinda stick with it until 30-35, then try and transition into business world. But for now just want my degree haha.

Yeah I agree, our strikers are just terrible at the moment, slow, dull and old. We need CB's, can't believe some people actually rate Smalling he's awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh you go Leeds uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yhh. you a fresher?

ReputationRep:
    Yhh. you a fresher?
    Yes and no, living from home

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good choice. The hustle is strong. You will not regret it later down the line.

• Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Yhh. you a fresher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omg you guys should meet up. :ahee:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dude you should have at least spent freshers in halls, and then live at home after that if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Dude you should have at least spent freshers in halls, and then live at home after that if you want.
    Bruh I'm Asian, you can go tell my parents that I'm moving into halls despite staying in home City :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Good choice. The hustle is strong. You will not regret it later down the line.

Can confirm. I'm cashed up nowadays tbh mate, that loan is just luxury money for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Omg you guys should meet up. :ahee:
    I don't like him, sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bruh I'm Asian, you can go tell my parents that I'm moving into halls despite staying in home City :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shame man. Anything goes in halls, miss those times.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    I don't like him, sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :lol: You crack me up.

ReputationRep:
    Shame man. Anything goes in halls, miss those times.
    Strict muslim crew anyway tbh so that's not me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Mans unemployed bruv

Get an internship and get connections. If you know a guy who knows a guy become best friends with them.

No worries bro. I'm in the same position the company are moving office so they got rid of me :lol:

I'm gonna apply for a couple grad schemes, think I can get onto one hopefully. Lloyds have a good grad scheme going but I need to research a bit more into that role.
    That sucks man, actually worried about being unemployed for too long after uni, just seems like a ****ty depressive place to be from what people tell me, which is why i'm trying to be as proactive as possible.

Whats the long term plan for you then?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.