Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by binarythoughts)
    Really need to start hardcore revision now
    I started on Monday.
    I HATE Chemistry of Life and Applications of Analytical Chemistry. What did the CIE smoke before adding that to the syllabus?
    NMR Spectroscopy. Who understands that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    I started on Monday.
    I HATE Chemistry of Life and Applications of Analytical Chemistry. What did the CIE smoke before adding that to the syllabus?
    NMR Spectroscopy. Who understands that?!

Damn, I'm already behind

I'm okay with chemistry of life. But I'm just not sure what it's doing in the Chemistry syllabus. I'd say they were high on biology before adding it
    Are you kidding? I freaking love NMR Spectroscopy!!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Damn, I'm already behind

I'm okay with chemistry of life. But I'm just not sure what it's doing in the Chemistry syllabus. I'd say they were high on biology before adding it
    Are you kidding? I freaking love NMR Spectroscopy!!
    I don't understand NMR at all. Maybe that's because we only did it yesterday, so I haven't really understood it?
    I've stayed at home today to do as much chemistry as possible. I'll start with Chemistry of Life in like 1 hour, will do that for 3 hours or so and then I'll jump to Applications of Analytical Chemistry. I want to have completely revised the syllabi for my subjects before the end of March!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand NMR at all. Maybe that's because we only did it yesterday, so I haven't really understood it?
    I've stayed at home today to do as much chemistry as possible. I'll start with Chemistry of Life in like 1 hour, will do that for 3 hours or so and then I'll jump to Applications of Analytical Chemistry. I want to have completely revised the syllabi for my subjects before the end of March!
    Read over it a few times, you'll get it

That's quite ambitious. And then just past papers in April?
    Also, what do you classify as hardcore revision?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Read over it a few times, you'll get it

That's quite ambitious. And then just past papers in April?
    Also, what do you classify as hardcore revision?
    I'll do that tonight. Yeah, that's what I did last year (more or less). Definitely have to finish everything as early as possible, because I left Physics revision last year to the week before the exam, and I pulled off quite a low A. I'll finish the Further Maths syllabus next week (hopefully), and then I can finish the Maths syllabus in my own time (we're a couple chapters from finishing in class). 1 more chapter in Chemistry, and 2 more in Physics.
    Hardcore revision: a lot of revision, every day. I'm trying to study 3-4 hours a day, at least. When April comes, that'll have to increase. A lot of past papers, a lot of summaries and so on.
    In the end, the 3-4 hours are only 2 hours of proper revision, as I get easily distracted, but still!

ReputationRep:
    I'll do that tonight. Yeah, that's what I did last year (more or less). Definitely have to finish everything as early as possible, because I left Physics revision last year to the week before the exam, and I pulled off quite a low A. I'll finish the Further Maths syllabus next week (hopefully), and then I can finish the Maths syllabus in my own time (we're a couple chapters from finishing in class). 1 more chapter in Chemistry, and 2 more in Physics.
    Hardcore revision: a lot of revision, every day. I'm trying to study 3-4 hours a day, at least. When April comes, that'll have to increase. A lot of past papers, a lot of summaries and so on.
    In the end, the 3-4 hours are only 2 hours of proper revision, as I get easily distracted, but still!

I'm used to leaving revision around a week before the exam
    Imma try to be more organized this time though

ReputationRep:
    How's revision going for everyone? Exams are 59 days away for me!
    Thanks for terrifying me by reminding me how close AS resits are

My revision is fine, just sort of getting on with things atm. I think I'll start to panic once Easter comes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Is anyone buying the Apple Watch?
    Might treat myself with one after A levels, but I'll have to hear reviews first.
    Seems like a colossal waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can any 16 – 18 year olds complete my survey on attitudes to religion and Religious Education? You will entered into a draw to win £15 Amazon vouchers
    http://goo.gl/forms/uNMMr9Avcy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmed7991)
    What Up?! Anyone started their student finance application form?
    Started and finished! Well I've been told how much money I'm getting anyway 0.o

ReputationRep:
    Marking the days down on my wall planner only 61 days left until my first exam! Putting the hours in right now and then in the summer it will be bliss XD

ReputationRep:
    How's revision going for everyone? Exams are 59 days away for me!
    I've basically been revising since September but lately I feel like everything is coming together nicely; for example FP2 seems much more approachable now that we've finished C4

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by rachelc142)
    I've basically been revising since September but lately I feel like everything is coming together nicely; for example FP2 seems much more approachable now that we've finished C4

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's great. Revising since the beginning of the year is your best option.
    Further Maths is going better for me too. I'm struggling a bit with Mechanics, but it all comes down to practice. I still need to get a better grasp on Complex Numbers, but overall I'm fine with FP. There's quite a lot of Biology in Chemistry with my board, and that's what I'm struggling most with, but it's all theory and regurgitation of facts, so I'll get there eventually. Maths and Physics, I'm doing fine with.
    Are you aiming for straight A*s?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Further Maths is going better for me too. I'm struggling a bit with Mechanics, but it all comes down to practice. I still need to get a better grasp on Complex Numbers, but overall I'm fine with FP. There's quite a lot of Biology in Chemistry with my board, and that's what I'm struggling most with, but it's all theory and regurgitation of facts, so I'll get there eventually. Maths and Physics, I'm doing fine with.
    Just started matrices in my advanced higher maths course (Scottish version of A2 Maths but with a lot of the Further Maths stuff as well) and I hate them. All this inverse, transpose, adjugate, orthogonal stuff seems a bit pointless right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Just started matrices in my advanced higher maths course (Scottish version of A2 Maths but with a lot of the Further Maths stuff as well) and I hate them. All this inverse, transpose, adjugate, orthogonal stuff seems a bit pointless right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh I love Matrices. Further Maths with CIE requires quite a lot of stuff which is actually done at degree level! Pretty cool (eg eigenvalues, eigenvectors, null spaces and so on)

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, especially because of how much I slipped last year due to leaving revision too late!
    Definitely. M2 is either my best friend or enemy :lol: complex numbers are so hard </3 they really confuse me in fp2
    Ahh yeah, sounds like that just needs practice then!
    Yeah I am really happy in maths, and physics is getting there.
    Hahaha, I was once upon a time..... that's my prediction but right now I think I'd be lucky to get a B in further maths. I hate D2 and I really think a miracle would need to happen for me to get 90ums in S2 and FP2. My firm choice is A*A*A so that is what I am aiming for. A more realistic picture is A*AB.
    How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You people are so clever i cant cope
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Definitely, especially because of how much I slipped last year due to leaving revision too late!
    Definitely. M2 is either my best friend or enemy :lol: complex numbers are so hard </3 they really confuse me in fp2
    Ahh yeah, sounds like that just needs practice then!
    Yeah I am really happy in maths, and physics is getting there.
    Hahaha, I was once upon a time..... that's my prediction but right now I think I'd be lucky to get a B in further maths. I hate D2 and I really think a miracle would need to happen for me to get 90ums in S2 and FP2. My firm choice is A*A*A so that is what I am aiming for. A more realistic picture is A*AB.
    How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Manchester gave you an A*A*A offer?!
    My offer is A*A*AA, so I have to aim for A*s. Further Maths can be either an A or a B, it really depends on the paper, although lately I've been getting As and even A*s in full papers. Hopefully, by the time of the exam, I'll be more able than now. I think I can achieve an A* in Maths without much difficulty (I hope, anyway). I'm not really trying with Physics because I only need an A, and my AS Physics % was 87%, so I'd have to mess up my A2 quite badly to get a B! So I'm kind of leaving it aside.
    Chemistry worries me a bit more. I need an A* for my offer, and my board averages out the overall A level grade out of AS and A2, and I only have an 85% at AS, so I'd have to produce an excellent A2 to pull it up to an A*. I'm working quite a lot, so hopefully I'll be able to meet the offer!
    As for Spanish, I haven't done anything as it's my native language :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Manchester gave you an A*A*A offer?!
    My offer is A*A*AA, so I have to aim for A*s. Further Maths can be either an A or a B, it really depends on the paper, although lately I've been getting As and even A*s in full papers. Hopefully, by the time of the exam, I'll be more able than now. I think I can achieve an A* in Maths without much difficulty (I hope, anyway). I'm not really trying with Physics because I only need an A, and my AS Physics % was 87%, so I'd have to mess up my A2 quite badly to get a B! So I'm kind of leaving it aside.
    Chemistry worries me a bit more. I need an A* for my offer, and my board averages out the overall A level grade out of AS and A2, and I only have an 85% at AS, so I'd have to produce an excellent A2 to pull it up to an A*. I'm working quite a lot, so hopefully I'll be able to meet the offer!
    As for Spanish, I haven't done anything as it's my native language :laugh:
    That's the standard offer for physics at Manchester!
    Yeah I know what you mean! Like I got an a* on an M2 paper before the mock then got an E in the mock... yeah I feel the same about maths tbh. Yeah that's a good grounding to start on
    Im sure you can do it!!
    Hahah fair enough as a native speaker how do you find the exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That's the standard offer for physics at Manchester!
    Yeah I know what you mean! Like I got an a* on an M2 paper before the mock then got an E in the mock... yeah I feel the same about maths tbh. Yeah that's a good grounding to start on
    Im sure you can do it!!
    Hahah fair enough as a native speaker how do you find the exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the encouragement
    Actually, CIE has this thing in which countries which speak a specific language get a tougher A level in that language. So Spanish A level in Spain, with CIE, is actually not easy. There are 6 books to read (and they're long and boring), and quite a lot of stuff to do for the Oral exam. Still, I did well in my mock (I achieved an A* overall!), so I don't find it too challenging. And that applies to most Spanish people in my class who are good in other subjects!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.