Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edward27)
    Just a question,

has anyone on here sent additional information to the LSE? anything that they thought would enhance their application. I applied for politics and on my gap year. I've been working as an intern journalist and not only have I been on the front lines of the political crisis that is unfolding in my country, I have had quite a few articles published.

I know it might be a bit too late since the deadline is only a matter of a month, but this is only my second week on the job and I thought if this could have any chance of enhancing my application, I'd do it and more.

I've read on LSE website somewhere that they advise applicants NOT to send additional information to enhance their application. The only reason you should contact them is if your exam entrance/subject is changed ect..

I, however, had sent a short email to change my year of entry, and added alittle additional information onto it. I recieved feedback saying that they will attach my email to my application, but that was on the 5th of January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    It tends not to work because it's not like they make 300 offers for 300 places - it's more like 800 offers for 300 places. More often than not, they're oversubscribed rather than under subscribed.
    but there's only like 23 places and about 150 applicants...
    surely this may be easier for Economics & Economic History? Also, many of these applicants may prefer doing straight Economics at LSE or another variant course elsewhere, and hence turn down their offers?
    Just wanted to know if it's worth talking to LSE about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economic Historian 1)
    but there's only like 23 places and about 150 applicants...
    Sorry, I didn't realise you were applying for this course (I probably could have guessed from your user though). Even so, they're likely to make around 50 offers and thus be oversubscribed. By all means, phone up LSE on results day (I phoned up Oxford since I got AAAAa, Distinction and 1, 1 in STEP (STEP is an exam that makes AEA look easy) - my phone call lasted 30 secs), but don't rely on it. If they ask if you've got a place at another university, you can just lie and say no (and then, shortly afterwards, reject the place you do hold) - quite a few people do this in Clearing (which, I assume, LSE doesn't enter for Economics related courses).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I didn't realise you were applying for this course (I probably could have guessed from your user though). Even so, they're likely to make around 50 offers and thus be oversubscribed. By all means, phone up LSE on results day (I phoned up Oxford since I got AAAAa, Distinction and 1, 1 in STEP (STEP is an exam that makes AEA look easy) - my phone call lasted 30 secs), but don't rely on it.
    Wow, congrats on your results...very impressive indeed!
    I'll give it a shot, but I'm thinking it's best to just forget about it and work hard now...and maybe try my luck on results day if all goes well!
    LSE's different to Oxford though in the sense that it's just academics that are considered, no interview performances etc to add into the mix?..Maybe I'm just being too optimistic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColonelStrong)
    I can understand why so many people in this thread get annoyed at LSE for taking so long, but YOU chose to apply to them so it's now up to THEM to reply to you when they see fit. Not the other way around. Anyone who is contemplating phoning in to complain, all I am going to say is it would make you look a bit stupid

I applied for 2008 entry last year to a number of London Uni's, and got a rejection just 1 week before the deadline for choosing your firm/insurance choices. Insensitive of them, maybe, but not unjustified.

I have applied to LSE this year for International Relations and History and still no word. But I'm not going to take notice of this 2nd guessing when offers and rejections will be because it's a load of crap really.

Apparently offers/rejections are on a Friday, Monday Tuesday? HOW RIDICULOUS! That leaves only 2 days in between where I guess the must not look at applications at all. Of course, they wouldn't do that?! That's silly. Only Friday's Tuesdays and Fridays are the logical days right? Bah!

For a fact I know a friend of mine have had an offer on a Wednesday, so it's safe to say there is no "pattern". Complete rubbish.
    so i guess i was right about rejections :rolleyes:
    and your neg rep wasn't worth anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj_945)
    Generally LSE is just generally more reputable, but I prefer UCL"s course (LSE"s course seems pretty narrow, and focussed on the Philosophy of Science). I think in the Philosophy world UCL would be more reputable, but that"s not why I"m doing it. I"m doing it because I think I"ll prefer the course and also the social life of the uni...

Hopefully if LSE give me an AAB offer thaTht will be my insurance though.

Peace x
    Thanks for your reply...I will most probably end up at UCL too so I'll see you there! :tongue:

(Original post by DanielJH)
    Yep, I applied for L101 before the oxford deadline (10th of October)
    No gathered pile email
    ahhhhhhhhh it's so painful isn't it? I just want a decision!
    We will have to continue playing then.
    (Original post by eyijia)
    I'm in the same position as you
    Application sent oct. before oxbridge deadline.
    Haven't received a gather pile email, but still waiting.
    What's your other choices like?
    Applied to UCL and Warwick, I have a UCL offer but nothing from Warwick still. What about you?
    It's nice to know that I'm not the only one playing LSE's application 'game'. :redface:

ReputationRep:
    I hope we won't have rejections this Monday/Tuesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beef_Eater)
    I hope we won't have rejections this Monday/Tuesday
    Better to be rejected next week than at the end of March tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanoi)
    Thanks for your reply...I will most probably end up at UCL too so I'll see you there! :tongue:

ahhhhhhhhh it's so painful isn't it? I just want a decision!
    We will have to continue playing then.

Applied to UCL and Warwick, I have a UCL offer but nothing from Warwick still. What about you?
    It's nice to know that I'm not the only one playing LSE's application 'game'. :redface:
    Only offer from Nottingham; AAA/AABB
    UCL; rejection
    Cambridge; rejection (Sidney)
    LSE: waiting
    Warwick, waiting :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Economic Historian..judging by your name am i right in assuming you applied for Economic History at lse?..i also applied for that course..sent of my ucas in November. I don't even do Maths a level so my chances must be really low considering what they wrote to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAMBO!)
    oh well.... its been fun.... just got back home from a night out and an unexpected email from track

rejection from lse for law....
    Wow! Sucks, that is the first reply for law in aaages and the first from the Gathered Pile! Im sure you will be great no matter where you go!! I think they had a ranking when they drew up the shortlist perhaps and are rejecting those who are at the bottom and perhaps will give offers to those on the top making those of us who will be in the middle of the list till the end of March?!

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea so many people were rejected on Friday - commiserations! I left TSR for a day, fairly comfortable in the prediction that it would be a decision-less day!

I really hope the vast vast majority of people who make it into March get offers because to leave you waiting until the last minute just to crush you is total torture! Fingers crossed we all make it through next week, and if offers come let them come our way!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, its been an age since I last posted on this thread, but just to confirm my status amongst my fellow LSE gathered-fieldettes; I appled for Law on October 13th, received the gathered pile e-mail in November. Yet to hear anything since. A friend of mine was also in the gathered field, but she was rejected a week ago for law, as did Sambo if the post serves this assumption correct.

I have one final message; TASHMINDA & QBC, as much as I love you guys, you two are my foes for the next month or so.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm new to the thread

Has anyone heard anything for BMS?

I'm still waiting

ReputationRep:
    anyone heard anything for gov and ec?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xReenax)
    Hey I'm new to the thread

Has anyone heard anything for BMS?

I'm still waiting
    I applied mid-September and haven't heard anything but one guy has.

ReputationRep:
    It tends not to work because it's not like they make 300 offers for 300 places - it's more like 800 offers for 300 places. More often than not, they're oversubscribed rather than under subscribed.
    This may be a ridiculous question, but what is the purpose of giving so many extra offers when they can't accomdate all those people? Are there a significant number of applicants who cannot meet their offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstyK)
    This may be a ridiculous question, but what is the purpose of giving so many extra offers when they can't accomdate all those people? Are there a significant number of applicants who cannot meet their offers?
    tht is one reason why they do that, but also because people dont necessarily choose to go to lse just because they get accepted soo ...
    wouldn't apply for me though. if i get an offer i'll defineatly be there next year ... but hey, i pretty much gave up on that by now since im just wating and waiting without a reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaLatte)
    tht is one reason why they do that, but also because people dont necessarily choose to go to lse just because they get accepted soo ...
    wouldn't apply for me though. if i get an offer i'll defineatly be there next year ... but hey, i pretty much gave up on that by now since im just wating and waiting without a reply
    That makes sense I suppose. Just with a school like LSE, I wonder how many people would actually turn them down? And waiting is a good thing! I mean think of the saying "Good things come to those that wait." Surely that can apply to your situation! Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstyK)
    The 800 offers for 300 places figure I used is actually for Imperial maths. Here's an explanation for why it might work for LSE too:

Oxbridge will give out around 500 offers for, say, Law. And I think it's fair enough to say that virtually all 500 offers will be taken up as a firm. Now of the 800 Law offers given out at LSE, we might safely assume that 400 were taken up by Oxbridge Law students (and no one sensible would put LSE as insurance for Law).

This leaves about 400 LSE offers which aren't wasted on successful Oxbridge candidates. Now some people are going to miss their grades (I know someone in person who did miss their LSE Law offer) + others might decide they want to go to X university because of social reasons (e.g. not liking LSE, wanting to be closer to home etc) + others might feel they can't achieve AAA + others may prefer a different course. This should get the figure down to around 300 or however many places they have.

I will fully admit that I'm speculating though (but the Imperial maths admissions tutor did tell me he's making 800 offers).

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.