Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
No, you said it wasn't convincing. It clearly was.

Polling shows over the last 5 months there has been a trend. I reckon it'll continue next month too.

Also confused as to why there would have been a Braveheart bounce in 97/98
These trends have been seen before

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpu...ependence.aspx
Boab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So you're accepting it was a convincing argument for some then?

Your evidence suggests that public opinion on any given issue over many years goes up and down, which is bleedingly obvious!

What it also shows is that since 2011 when it was announced there actually would be a referendum (not a hypothetical question) the YES vote has consistently gone up.

It continues to do so in the last vital months of the campaign, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Prime Minister Salmond won't get his currency union. We already have a currency union. This just goes to show how pointless his little dream of being prime minister will be.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
So you're accepting it was a convincing argument for some then?

Your evidence suggests that public opinion on any given issue over many years goes up and down, which is bleedingly obvious!

What it also shows is that since 2011 when it was announced there actually would be a referendum (not a hypothetical question) the YES vote has consistently gone up.

It continues to do so in the last vital months of the campaign, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about
Has it consistently gone up? Its also gone consistently down at the same time. Basically, it hasn't really moved.
odkfn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Put it the other way round and I wouldn't see the Scots laughing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grasping at straws for the fact you didn't see through a particularly transparent joke.

No cake for you.
Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maths Tutor)
As an Englishman, why on earth do YOU want to keep Scotland a part of the UK???????????

And don't give me that mantra 'We are Better Together'.

You hate the Scots, even union supporting ones, consider them to be "whinging bigots" and yet you spend hours on this thread opposing Scottish independence.

No doubt your stand makes perfect sense and sounds completely reasonable and rational to the likes of L i b, MatureStudent36 and euphful.

But to me it seems that:

- either you need psychiatric help,

- or you believe that rUK WILL be worse off if Scotland becomes independent.

You don't give a damn whether Scotland would be worse off or better off.

It appears proven to me that you are an anti-Scottish bigot. You hate the Scots but you want to keep them chained to your union FOR YOUR OWN VESTED INTERESTS OR BENEFIT.

You have been whinging on this thread for ages of how unfair it is for you to be charged tuition fees in Scotland.

Why don't you let Scotland become independent and then, by your argument, Scotland will be forced to treat English students the same as any other EU students?
I live in Scotland and will be doing so a few years after independence would become official, so it's actually in my vested interest not to waste my vote. I want to keep Scots chained to the union? Get a grip.
1tartanarmy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I live in Scotland and will be doing so a few years after independence would become official, so it's actually in my vested interest not to waste my vote. I want to keep Scots chained to the union? Get a grip.
Well you do, you don't want Scotland to be independent. I thought you wanted Scotland to be in the union?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 1tartanarmy)
Well you do, you don't want Scotland to be independent. I thought you wanted Scotland to be in the union?

Posted from TSR Mobile
He does. Like the majority of Scots .
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
He does. Like the majority of Scots .
At a max only 60% of scots are happy with the UK at this moment in time. What a sad state of affairs for the status quo

I think the yes campaign is going to win this. The polls are no surprise knowing that No is the starting point and Yes is the finish point. People go from no to yes. People do not move from yes to no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
euphful
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At a max only 60% of scots are happy with the UK at this moment in time. What a sad state of affairs for the status quo

I think the yes campaign is going to win this. The polls are no surprise knowing that No is the starting point and Yes is the finish point. People go from no to yes. People do not move from yes to no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This logic is totally sound...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Has it consistently gone up? Its also gone consistently down at the same time. Basically, it hasn't really moved.
Name:  scotland_independence_35_year_trend-lrg.gif
Views: 107
Size:  29.1 KB

What is going on in your head that tells you that since 2011 that line hasn't moved? Lets bear in mind that this is evidence you provided into this!

And this is what Ipsos MORI say about the post 2011 period....

"Since the election of a majority SNP government after the 2011 Holyrood elections, support for independence has risen. The promise of a referendum at some point during the current parliamentary term has meant that the issue has risen up the political agenda. The political dominance of the SNP and of Alex Salmond since the election has allowed the Scottish Government to dictate the independence debate"
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is quite different from wanting it to be 'chained'. What year is this, 1314?
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A crying shame that Margo never got the opportunity to vote on her life's work.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...t-70-1-3365589
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was a poll on here a few months back about an Independant London. The poll results were the same as above. Similar results can be seen for Wales, Northern Ireland, the north of England, Cornwall and Shetland
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Name:  scotland_independence_35_year_trend-lrg.gif
Views: 107
Size:  29.1 KB

What is going on in your head that tells you that since 2011 that line hasn't moved? Lets bear in mind that this is evidence you provided into this!

And this is what Ipsos MORI say about the post 2011 period....

"Since the election of a majority SNP government after the 2011 Holyrood elections, support for independence has risen. The promise of a referendum at some point during the current parliamentary term has meant that the issue has risen up the political agenda. The political dominance of the SNP and of Alex Salmond since the election has allowed the Scottish Government to dictate the independence debate"
I know. And with that prospect on the horizon with 'everybody' talking about it, why isn't it higher?
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There was a poll on here a few months back about an Independant London. The poll results were the same as above. Similar results can be seen for Wales, Northern Ireland, the north of England, Cornwall and Shetland
Yet Scotland is the only one having a referendum, Scotland is the only one that voted a party that had a mandate to offer a referendum.

Like for like comparisons is just laughable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know. And with that prospect on the horizon with 'everybody' talking about it, why isn't it higher?
Polls can't be trusted...you only have to speak to people to realise Yes is going to win this. I sometimes feel sorry for people like you voting no. You wont change...but as time passes you will see yourself more and more in the minority. Too ignorant to realise why you find yourself in such a position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That is quite different from wanting it to be 'chained'. What year is this, 1314?
Everyone knows it is 2014. Here and another example of midlanders attempt to bring this debate down to idiotic levels. Who bases a vote on what happened in 1314? I'm a nationalist...whatever that even means and I'm certainly not thinking about 1314

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everyone knows it is 2014. Here and another example of midlanders attempt to bring this debate down to idiotic levels. Who bases a vote on what happened in 1314? I'm a nationalist...whatever that even means and I'm certainly not thinking about 1314

Posted from TSR Mobile
Talking about Scotland being chained to the union isn't Braveheart type rhetoric?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Polls can't be trusted...you only have to speak to people to realise Yes is going to win this.
Haha - that's the most hilarious and desperate thing I've heard to date!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.88%
No I haven't decided yet (49)
21.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.14%

Watched Threads