Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PriyaPaul)
    Since you're good at RS.. can you please help me with this question. Thanks

Explain why the search for meaning and purpose in life can lead some people to believe in God. (8 marks).

Where's that from? The closest I have is Teleological/Causation arguments. Everything happens for a reason, and had to be created by someone, this may lead to a belief in God. Also, that people believe that life's purpose is complex, and too complex to comprehend and therefore was created by a divine creator, and as the argument of design states, this leaves to a belief in God. I don't fully understand the questions angle is coming from :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    There's many excuses I want accepted, take "Do you think God Created the World, Give reasons for your opinion"
    For No, should accept:

• He doesn't exist
    • Religion is balls
    • Science says so
    • There is no proof
    • It makes no sense
    • There is no God
    • How can God create the world if there is no God?
    • I refuse to believe the same book that allows you to sell your kids as slaves (provided you get a good price)
    • The Bible is too Old to believe. Needs a Sequel fast
    • Still No such thing as God
    I agree it's bull**** tbh - why are atheists not allowed to give their honest opinion when we have to give opinions which we don't agree with I don't understand. The reasoning that 'it's what you believe in should still work in our favour - as that's our belief :facepalm2:)
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    My school's A Level option blocks are such bull**** for people of mixed interests :mmm:

If you take Maths, you immediately cannot take Geography or English Lit (along with a few other non-subjects ).

One block consists of Accounting, Art, History, Music Tech, PE and Psychology :rofl:

No languages Evening classes it is for me :emo:
    That sucks!! We don't even do option blocks here for GCSE or A-Level to begin with, what happens is they see all applications and see how many students want to do what and what their combinations are; they then start trying to construct their timetables from there. I am for example now choosing to do
    French
    Spanish
    History
    Maths
    GCSE Latin (gonna ask to drop Computing at interview)

and just because 3 people want to do French and Spanish the entire lower sixth is having it's lessons structured around those two lessons being compatible with each other, which I really love my MFL department for. Miss Lane and Miss Johnson I love you <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomg)
    ikr it's a perfect drawing of him!!
    Hahaha... I was going to say it at first but thought better of it. Curious as to who Fish thought he was drawing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    Haha don't tell me that's not dobby. I'm terrified of Harry Potter and I know Dobby looks like that. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :teehee: it is
    (Original post by Vionar)
    Either something dark or light, wow, that didn't come out as I'd expected! I meant either something like yellow, as you've said or something like black or grey, as Jina's said.
    I did yellow

(Original post by gomg)
    ikr it's a perfect drawing of him!!

Finished! Now I need to create three more posters... One has a church... Need ideas on:

Blacks
    Women in the home

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  1367519997688.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  57.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Where's that from? The closest I have is Teleological/Causation arguments. Everything happens for a reason, and had to be created by someone, this may lead to a belief in God. Also, that people believe that life's purpose is complex, and too complex to comprehend and therefore was created by a divine creator, and as the argument of design states, this leaves to a belief in God. I don't fully understand the questions angle is coming from :confused:
    It's confusing. Purpose of life- we haven't done that. :/ I would've started talking about miracles and prayer and conversion. Lolol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    I agree it's bull**** tbh - why are atheists not allowed to give their honest opinion when we have to give opinions which we don't agree with I don't understand. The reasoning that 'it's what you believe in should still work in our favour - as that's our belief :facepalm2:)
    We are technically a Christian country since Henry VIII (CofE), even though it's decreasing in Followers and the Islamic following is on the rise as well as those declaring no Religion. The Education system needs re-doing.

ReputationRep:
    Yh I don't exactly get how this is related to our topic. My teacher said this was a tricky questions with an unusual style of wording. She told me that she would've related it to the Design Argument. :confused:

btw how much revision have you done for RS ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    It's confusing. Purpose of life- we haven't done that. :/ I would've started talking about miracles and prayer and conversion. Lolol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wondered that, that's religious experience though, so it could be looking at either angles. Although the Numinous is worth a shout, that'd help with a belief in God, because of the awe of the greater presence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    Woah. Woah. Woah. Which topic does that relate to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Got noooo idea.. but it was a past paper question :/
    Probably The Design Argument ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    :teehee: it is

I did yellow

Finished! Now I need to create three more posters... One has a church... Need ideas on:

Blacks
    Women in the home

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ooh do the Kinder, Kurcher, Kucher whatever... Haha i know i epically failed on the German. But it translates to something like Home, church and something. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got noooo idea.. but it was a past paper question :/
    Probably The Design Argument ??
    Haha i'd skip right over it. What are the grade boundaries like for RS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We are technically a Christian country since Henry VIII (CofE), even though it's decreasing in Followers and the Islamic following is on the rise as well as those declaring no Religion. The Education system needs re-doing.
    We are a Christian country because one greedy ******* wanted to tell his wife to do one :sigh: - it shouldn't mean that it is forced down our throats. How many 'Christians' actually believe in God? That's a good question (as a hell of a lot of our country are misrepresented in the census - I'm not Christian but according to my dad I am :facepalm:)

The education does need redoing - it needs to be done in a way so every religion gets an equal amount of focus, atheism and lack of religion needs addressed equally and needs to be done in a way which doesn't make it look like the authors of the textbooks aren't sneering at atheists (which at least one of mine is). They should also just completely change the exam question to being -"do you agree?*

*YOUR HONEST OPINION MAY NOT BE VALID IN THIS SITUATION IF YOU'RE ATHEIST"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I did yellow

Spoiler:
    Show
    It looks really good! For blacks, you could do something about the Freedom Riders?

(Original post by Jina)
    Hahaha show me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll get it now, but there aren't many drawings in my books that I have with me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    Ooh do the Kinder, Kurcher, Kucher whatever... Haha i know i epically failed on the German. But it translates to something like Home, church and something. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Children Kitchen Church

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    Children Kitchen Church
    THAT! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'evil fish)
    it's coming along slowly... Some of my pieces in one...

Spoiler:
    Show

also, with this... What colour shall i have the background? (the top right corner one)
    DOBBY :love: :love:

ReputationRep:
    The world is yours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    The world is yours
    I knowwwww :daydreaming: :bubbles::dancing::dancing2: ...

ReputationRep:
    Yh I don't exactly get how this is related to our topic. My teacher said this was a tricky questions with an unusual style of wording. She told me that she would've related it to the Design Argument. :confused:

btw how much revision have you done for RS ?
    Design Argument. Right 8 Marks = 4 related reasons.
    1. William Paley likened the world to a watch, because it contains so many parts fitting together, every part has a purpose, this means something as complicated as the world requires a designer this may lead people to a belief in God if they think they may be the designer who created the world and gave each individual component a purpose.
    2. The World is to complex to just have 'occurred' it requires someone to make sure every single part fits together, this would required the presence of a designer, this may make people believe in God if they believe he's the designer.
    3. The only way something such as the world could have been created is by something greater, as some people believe this is a God, this would make other people searching for a purpose to believe it would be God.
    4. Everything has to have a cause and Thomas Aquinas believed if you revert back to the 'first cause' that this was God, this would make people believe in God while searching for a purpose because God caused them to be there for a given purpose

(Note: 4 isn't a design argument point, but the cosmological, needed a fourth potential idea)

ReputationRep:
    I knowwwww :daydreaming: :bubbles::dancing::dancing2: ...
    it ain't hard to tell

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.