Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Temporarily modding in Football guys, be on your best behaviour

Reckon Suárez is nailed on staying at Pool now?
    Haven't seen you on this thread in quite a while tbf I was wondering where you went

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    No

ReputationRep:

We want Abira!
    :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    You think Michu's contract doesn't include a Suarez-esque release clause............
    Would expect so, but once again it will be high, and Michu isn't in the same bracket as someone such as Suarez and i very seriously doubt Wenger would see value in the fee.

Swansea aren't really the club to buy from atm if you want good value, we have been on the up seasons after season and first team players will have large premiums on their heads such as Williams who wouldn't be sold for less than £10m. I have every faith Michu will stay another year at least, the lack of activity of clubs after him says enough to me.

ReputationRep:
    I keep thinking in about 4 days time the club is just going to put £55mill on the table for suarez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I keep thinking in about 4 days time the club is just going to put £55mill on the table for suarez.
    Same! Wenger should just slap 55-60mil on the table and test Liverpool's resolve, if they still reject it then forget it and move on.

ReputationRep:
    I wanna see snother signing man, don't care if its not suarez, this squad is so thin

ReputationRep:
    Don't mean to just come out of no where with this, but what makes Lewandowski unavailable? I understand Dortmund are reluctant to sell him to their Bundesliga rivals, but that's about all I know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    Same! Wenger should just slap 55-60mil on the table and test Liverpool's resolve, if they still reject it then forget it and move on.
    really?

I would hate wenger to do that...

Do you really rate suarez as a player worth that much? - considering he is likely to want to ship off to madrid in a few years? (as an older player, for probably less money..) - not to mention his reputation, and that hes banned for the first 6 games?

Thats ignoring that it would be spending 3/4 of the budget on 1 single player.. - vastly impractical considering how thin the team is, and that we only have 16 fit players currently to start the season with..

-- all in all, suarez for that much would be a very bad decision in my mind..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    I wanna see snother signing man, don't care if its not suarez, this squad is so thin
    What we lack in keepers, defenders and attackers is quality depth... look at our squad, there're ample players, but even with all our off loading, most non starters are either extremely inexperienced or too average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    Don't mean to just come out of no where with this, but what makes Lewandowski unavailable? I understand Dortmund are reluctant to sell him to their Bundesliga rivals, but that's about all I know...
    I was wondering this, but I guess its because he is so personally set on bayern.. that he would probably refuse personal terms etc..

And even if dortmund did just sell him - who wants to spend that much on a player that doesnt want to play for them?/will look to leave straight away..

- only way I think it would be possible is if some day-dream deal happened where he was brought from dortmund, but had a clause in his contract that he could leave to bayern for the same price/more in a years time..

That could be good buisness, (though ofcourse never going to happen in reality ) - as a player would effectivly get him for a year or so for free - dortmund get their cash.. and next year bayern get their player..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    really?

I would hate wenger to do that...

Do you really rate suarez as a player worth that much? - considering he is likely to want to ship off to madrid in a few years? (as an older player, for probably less money..) - not to mention his reputation, and that hes banned for the first 6 games?

Thats ignoring that it would be spending 3/4 of the budget on 1 single player.. - vastly impractical considering how thin the team is, and that we only have 16 fit players currently to start the season with..

-- all in all, suarez for that much would be a very bad decision in my mind..
    I agree with all your points completely... my problem is: What are our alternatives?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all your points completely... my problem is: What are our alternatives?
    that is the problem

There are other players.. but they are all such a gamble..

Dzeko, hernandez, michu, huntlear, etc.. have all been mentioned.

But all of them are big risks.

They would all require fairly large sums to draw them away from their clubs (especially for Dzeko/hernandez)

Yet none are as proven as suarez, all could fail..

- though personally if it were my choice, id plump for Michu I really do rate the guy, and he could probably be tempted away for ~£20m

Still a huge gamble though

ReputationRep:
    He only wants to go to Bayern (apparently he rejected a contract from Real back in May). As he's only got 1 year left on his contract, Bayern are content to just wait and get him on a free next year rather than spending £25-30m on him now. Everyone wins really, except Dortmund, but at least they get to keep their star striker for another year, which is apparently what they wanted anyway.

If Lewandowski was available at all, rumours would have been springing up constantly given how half of Europe's top teams were on the hunt for a striker and the hype he got at the end of last season.

ReputationRep:
    We've got to make a real statement by beating Villa well on Saturday. I would absolutely love for us to win 3 or 4 nil. Would really shut a few people up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know this is relevant but has anyone else seen this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I know this is relevant but has anyone else seen this
    Nah I hadn't. Hope he's okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Forget about signing a 'world-class' striker because quite frankly you've left it too late. I reckon you'll have a good chance of getting Gustavo though, but that's probably the best you can hope for in terms of quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

What's happened to Abira?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stopmessing)
    Forget about signing a 'world-class' striker because quite frankly you've left it too late. I reckon you'll have a good chance of getting Gustavo though, but that's probably the best you can hope for in terms of quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah shocking tbh. It took Wenger until late July to make a move for a world class striker. I'm starting to wonder whether a striker will be coming to Arsenal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.