The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rocketrascal
Well at the interview and this applies to all oxbridge applicants, the interviewer isnt necessarily trying to test you but is rathet trying to help you display your interest in said subject. For you specifically its important to analyse any extra material you have read or mentioned on your ps in more detail. So for me I talked about Ray Dalio's how the economic machine works and talked about my personal opinion about it and then talked about the infamous game theory. The game theory is infamous for eliminating oxford applicants before interview because as soon as people our age mention it they get it wrong. My interviewer liked that i talked about it anyway scoring a lot of bonus points. I also read a book called its economics stupid, try that. Mainly just read your ps stuff

Any tips about game theory then, it was a hefty paragraph on my personal statement aha?
Hey guys I am currently a first year med student from manchester so if you have any questions about medicine or being from manchester. Please PM me. I want to help those in the same helpless position i was in a year ago
Original post by skylake
Any tips about game theory then, it was a hefty paragraph on my personal statement aha?

I made the same mistake you did buddy. I would recommend learning about monopolies, oligopolies and imperfect competition first and this will give the grounding needed for game theory. Also game theory is based upon a game called prisoners dilemma so read about that too. The best thing and most expensive thing I can suggest is buying a university textbook: More specifically Economics 13th edition Lipsey and Chrystal
Also skylake if you have any further problems, just email me at [email protected] and I will give you more in depth advice
Does anybody know if colleges reply on weekends?
Original post by Lsdjrl
the wait is killing me😁 What have you applied for?

History, so a load of the other colleges have already sent out interviews 😞 How about you?
so do they not send any interview invitations/ rejcetions on the weekend?
Original post by maella
Does anybody know if colleges reply on weekends?

Original post by haziq17
so do they not send any interview invitations/ rejcetions on the weekend?

Pretty sure they don't, you'll have to wait until Monday
Just got rejected for music from Merton :frown: Oh well...
Original post by skylake

Here's what I did: I went to youtube, searched "Game Theory", and was rewarded with a playlist of lectures from Yale on a game theory course. Watch that from start to finish, you'll end up knowing more than ANYONE at interview.
Original post by PasserbyA
Here's what I did: I went to youtube, searched "Game Theory", and was rewarded with a playlist of lectures from Yale on a game theory course. Watch that from start to finish, you'll end up knowing more than ANYONE at interview.

I actually mentioned those in my PS!!! I haven't got anywhere near the end though, only about four in. But I have done some extra stuff on it outside.
Original post by skylake
I actually mentioned those in my PS!!! I haven't got anywhere near the end though, only about four in. But I have done some extra stuff on it outside.

That's good. But watch it all the way. I've already done that, and so writing game theory into my PS has become the safest route I could take. I know more about elementary game theory and microeconomic theory than university level macroeconomics, which is the stuff I capitalised on in my PS.
Original post by arkatie

Would never have thought they'd be sending out emails at 11.40pm!
Guys I've applied to engineering physics but I still didn't get an email. Is it possible that they can send me an email anytime soon or do I still have to wait till Monday?
Original post by drumsticks
History, so a load of the other colleges have already sent out interviews 😞 How about you?

Modern languages. I may have to wait until next Friday which will be awful😔
Original post by Sherifezzeldin_
Guys I've applied to engineering physics but I still didn't get an email. Is it possible that they can send me an email anytime soon or do I still have to wait till Monday?

Well, it just hit midnight in the UK, so I highly doubt it. Best to assume you'll have to wait till Monday because it's very unlikely that they send on weekends.
Original post by arkatie

Did you only just open the email or have they only just sent it now?
Original post by maella
Did you only just open the email or have they only just sent it now?

No they only just sent it now!
Original post by arkatie
No they only just sent it now!

What! That's crazy!
Got my interview for English at Balliol today at 11:18! I'm ****ing ecstatic! Anybody else applying for English and/or to Balliol? :smile: :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending