Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    You do wonder what recruitment will be like for United now with Mourinho in charge.

Aside from the fact that youth development will undoubtedly take a hit, you've got the fact that spending may become even more blunderbuss.

In the past, in the best United sides, recruitment was always balanced. The best United sides I've seen have had star quality, but dependable sorts like Fletcher, even O'Shea, Brown et al.
    They had that generation of home grown players (some were stars like Beckham, Giggs and Scholes then others were dependable like Neville, Brown, O'Shea etc) which lasted them a very long time.

I'd expect Mourino will buy a lot for the short term. Players who can come in and do a great job today (even if they won't be there in 3-5 years time). But then that is what Man Utd need now. They need to win or compete for bigger prizes than just the FA Cup. Their whole financial model works on that basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    We don't need a massive rebuild and I think there will be more outgoings than incomings. Mourinho has identified a CB, CM, RW and ST which is exactly what we need

De Gea
    Darmian Smalling CB Shaw
    Schneiderlin Schweinsteiger/New CM
    RW Rooney Martial
    Ibrahimovic

Would be happy with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's almost half of your first XI changed and your squad depth will take a hit if you start getting rid of too many players. It's not like you don't have any extra EL games to play because you do. Arsenal and Chelsea don't need to make as many changes to the squad, those two teams have an advantage in the title challenge over everyone else imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    That's almost half of your first XI changed and your squad depth will take a hit if you start getting rid of too many players. It's not like you don't have any extra EL games to play because you do. Arsenal and Chelsea don't need to make as many changes to the squad, those two teams have an advantage in the title challenge over everyone else imo.
    Spurs? I don't expect many changes and they are keeping the same manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Spurs? I don't expect many changes and they are keeping the same manager.
    They are an unknown for me, can't tell if they will push on, stagnate or fall away.

ReputationRep:
    They are an unknown for me, can't tell if they will push on, stagnate or fall away.
    Yea I suppose. I'd still expect them to be stronger than Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    Yea I suppose. I'd still expect them to be stronger than Leicester.
    If Leicester keep Mahrez and Kante, they could still challenge but they won't be able to play almost the same XI every week.

ReputationRep:
    that's almost half of your first xi changed and your squad depth will take a hit if you start getting rid of too many players. It's not like you don't have any extra el games to play because you do. Arsenal and chelsea don't need to make as many changes to the squad, those two teams have an advantage in the title challenge over everyone else imo.
    rooney out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    Apparently midfielder Dahoud is our first choice over Zielinski and we will be opening talks with Chilwell soon.
    Aside from a few videos I haven't seen much of Dahoud but he is extremely highly rated and his potential is huge.

He's only 20 and although he seems to be valued at about £20m. Based on the kind of money that other youngsters (e.g: Martial) have been going for, that's not a bad price. We'd definitely have to fight to get him but his quality in CM would definitely be an improvement.

We'd likely lose somebody like Allen though which is a real shame.

Really glad Klopp is taking the initiative though - the three positions we really need to strengthen are GK, LB and CM. Klopp has already sorted the first and it's clear he's trying to improve the others sooner rather than later.

Klopp is great at developing players - although it's important to have a bit of experience in your side, the man won't buy players he doesn't think will vastly improve. Look at what he did to the likes of Götze, Lewandowski and Aubameyang? There's no reason why he could do the same here with players like Can and Dahoud in CM.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So that's 4 new players just for the first XI and then how many more to get the squad into something Mourinho wants? Probably another 4-5? Your depth isn't what it used to be. And don't forget that Mourinho will not play LVG's style so you're overhauling your backroom staff and how your team plays too.
    Squad depth is non existent. Miss the days when we had 4 top quality strikers to call upon.

I think City have a bigger job than we do though. How many players in that squad would Pep honestly be happy with? Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Aguero, possibly Kompany. That's about it.

Mourinho has made his thoughts clear on the EL with Chelsea. There's no way he'll play his strongest team. It'll be Fosu Mensah, Lingard, Romero, Carrick, Januzaj etc.

In terms of first teamers the only ones who I can see getting chucked out instantly are Fellaini and Rojo. The other leavers will just be youth and players who are out of contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Squad depth is non existent. Miss the days when we had 4 top quality strikers to call upon.

I think City have a bigger job than we do though. How many players in that squad would Pep honestly be happy with? Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Aguero, possibly Kompany. That's about it.

Mourinho has made his thoughts clear on the EL with Chelsea. There's no way he'll play his strongest team. It'll be Fosu Mensah, Lingard, Romero, Carrick, Januzaj etc.

In terms of first teamers the only ones who I can see getting chucked out instantly are Fellaini and Rojo. The other leavers will just be youth and players who are out of contract.
    How do you think you'll start going forward next season because you have huge potential tbh.
    Rooney in CAM behind Zlatan, flanked by Martial and Rashford?

ReputationRep:
    Brad Smith looking good tonight.
    I'd be completely fine if we had him as backup next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    How do you think you'll start going forward next season because you have huge potential tbh.
    A new winger rather than Rashford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    A new winger rather than Rashford
    Would you not start him then?

What about Depay? He's had a terrible first season but he clearly has talent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Would you not start him then?

What about Depay? He's had a terrible first season but he clearly has talent.
    They both have huge potential but after his failure last season and with Pep here, Mourinho will want to come in and win the title immediately, and he'll be given 150m to do it

They'll hopefully get plenty of minutes in cups and Europa and off the bench

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    They both have huge potential but after his failure last season and with Pep here, Mourinho will want to come in and win the title immediately, and he'll be given 150m to do it

They'll hopefully get plenty of minutes in cups and Europa and off the bench
    Let's be honest, Rashford off the bench isn't bad at all. Kinda similar to us and Origi really.

Your front 4 could be ridiculous next season and ours would've been had we been able to get Götze

I just hope you "do a Liverpool" next season and go really far in other competitions (but not win them), so you'll struggle in the league like we did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Brad Smith looking good tonight.
    I'd be completely fine if we had him as backup next season.
    Been terrible for us in recent games - worse than Moreno.

Should be Moreno + a more defensively solid 22-28 year old LB we target to compete for the spot.

ReputationRep:
    Been terrible for us in recent games - worse than Moreno.

Should be Moreno + a more defensively solid 22-28 year old LB we target to compete for the spot.
    Not sure I'd agree there. I'd much rather we lost Moreno than Smith. The former is the weakest link defensively I've ever seen in a Liverpool side.

Yes he attacks well but he doesn't compensate enough for his awful defending. He's a liability and we don't need him to ruin any more of our games.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Rashford won't be a starter.

We badly need a RW but I have no idea who we could realistically get. Sane or Mane possibly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Rashford won't be a starter.

We badly need a RW but I have no idea who we could realistically get. Sane or Mane possibly.
    Mane would be a great option.
    He's been linked with us and people have been moaning but I don't know why.

15 goals and 8 assists this season - he provides the stats for a winger and when he's on his game, he's unplayable. Sometimes his stats are padded because he normally scores in bursts (I.e: he'll randomly get a hattrick) meaning that his output maybe isn't too consistent.

However he's only 24, has good PL experience and I can't see him costing more than £20-25m. He'd be a great option for United or Liverpool in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys actually rate Henderson?

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.