Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate England Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oxlade-Chamberlain is the kind of player that we needed in from the start. This team is hardworking, but they're slow and lack any real flair, so any player that is willing to shoot and run at the opposition is a welcome addition.

ReputationRep:
    Its a good result in a game where results mean nothing. Performance wise it was pretty poor, we can draw if Hodgson plays the kind of team he hates playing and Rooney scores the kind of goals he rarely scores for England. As Tommy said, Hart had a nightmare with his kicking game, and defensively in general it was a shambles.

ReputationRep:
    shouldn't have conceded the last goal... Got lucky with Oxlade's goal anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    Should play just anyone they think might have potential... it's a friendly

Could even play 5-6 new call ups who never played for England, and even if they lose the game so what...
    Well, no. Who would you suggest? Wilshere is injured. Sturridge is injured. Welbeck is injured. Butland is inferior to Hart, and Hart did a good job tonight. That leaves who? Raheem Stirling? Josh McEachran? Andre Wisdom? Kieran Gibbs? Ryan Bertrand? What evidence exists to suggest that those players would do any better than these ones? People need to just face the fact that our talent pool is severely limited. It's congruent with having around a 38% ratio of home-grown to foreign players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    shouldn't have conceded the last goal... Got lucky with Oxlade's goal anyway.
    More like we got lucky with Rooney's.

That deflection :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)

Rooney's one was a lot more skillful and it most likely would have gone in anyway regardless of the deflection.
    Oxlade Chamberlain's goal was more of a hit and miss type of goal - luckily for him it came off.
    Nonetheless Chamberlain played good when he came on but the overall England performance was disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)

this. not only the deflection, but the fact a Brazilian player gave the ball straight to England while their team was in England's box

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Well, no. Who would you suggest? Wilshere is injured. Sturridge is injured. Welbeck is injured. Butland is inferior to Hart, and Hart did a good job tonight. That leaves who? Raheem Stirling? Josh McEachran? Andre Wisdom? Kieran Gibbs? Ryan Bertrand? What evidence exists to suggest that those players would do any better than these ones? People need to just face the fact that our talent pool is severely limited. It's congruent with having around a 38% ratio of home-grown to foreign players.
    I guess the only argument is, those players are young. One of the reasons we have such a poor pool of players to chose from is we don't reward the right types of players all the way from grassroots. The England team is a good stage to start showing the type of players we want in the future, faster more lively technical players. Playing Andy Carroll up front on supposedly the biggest footballing stage in England doesn't really encourage the kind of play and inspire the kind of players that we want at grassroots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Rooney's one was a lot more skillful and it most likely would have gone in anyway regardless of the deflection.
    Oxlade Chamberlain's goal was more of a hit and miss type of goal - luckily for him it came off.
    Nonetheless Chamberlain played good when he came on but the overall England performance was disgusting.
    So Rooney's takes a wicked deflection, Oxlade's in cleanly struck right into the back of the net and yet, the Ox got lucky? Right then. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think we just need to base the England team around Liverpool players if we want to win the world cup. I don't see any other way.

Hart

Johnson Kelly Wisdom Baines

Gerrard Henderson

Downing Wilshere Sterling

Sturridge

sub Oxlade-Chamberlain on for Downing/Sterling on 60 minutes. Germany would be terrified of us.
    If baines gets injured or gets clinical depression because he plays for Everton, then we can throw Jose Enrique in there instead.. he hasn't got a Spain cap yet, so I think we would be able to persuade him to play for us instead.

its a joke, don't neg me. please. unless you feel like it, then fair enough, go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    We should accept that our players are second rate to the top tier of international teams current.

I propose that we should play a 4-3-3 as follows:

...........Sturridge......
    AOC.................Walcott
    .......Wilshere..Gerrard..
    ............Carrick.........
    ..........[Defence]...........

We should play team, in our own half and invite pressure onto ourselves and play on the counter attack. The front 3 have blistering pace and the midfield have great passing ability. We're not going to dominate sides so let's just give in aim to do a Greece to win the world cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameronHayward)
    To be honest, I think we just need to base the England team around Liverpool players if we want to win the world cup. I don't see any other way.

Hart

Johnson Kelly Wisdom Baines

Gerrard Henderson

Downing Wilshere Sterling

Sturridge

sub Oxlade-Chamberlain on for Downing/Sterling on 60 minutes. Germany would be terrified of us.

its a joke, don't neg me. please. unless you feel like it, then fair enough, go ahead.
    Why around Liverpool players..? Even as a Liverpool fan, I have to question that! Might be better doing it around the Man Utd crop?

Hart

Johnson Jones Smalling A.Cole

Carrick Cleverly

Welbeck Wilshere A.Young

Rooney

ReputationRep:
    What formation was England playing against brazil throughout the match?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    What formation was England playing against brazil throughout the match?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    4-5-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Why around Liverpool players..? Even as a Liverpool fan, I have to question that! Might be better doing it around the Man Utd crop?

Hart

Johnson Jones Smalling A.Cole

Carrick Cleverly

Welbeck Wilshere A.Young

Rooney

Absolutely ridiculous.

Smalling doesn't even start ahead of two crocked 32+ year olds at United and you think he's a starting XI international player? Least you haven't put him or Jones at RB where commentators and everybody seem to think they're world class.

Cleverley's dog ****, Carrick's getting old, Ashley Young has been awful for just over a year for England, so bad it's untrue, Downing, Sterling, the Ox, Lennon, A.Johnson, Walcott, Zaha there ahead of him please!

Welbeck is awful, one goal all year.

Rooney hasn't done anything for England in a tournament since 2004. Surrounding him by United players won't make him spring back to life.

Not to mention the fact that it's always United players who let us down/play badly. I don't get this notion that just because a player plays for a better team then they're better than players from that club. No.

We should accept that our players are second rate to the top tier of international teams current.

We should play team, in our own half and invite pressure onto ourselves and play on the counter attack. The front 3 have blistering pace and the midfield have great passing ability. We're not going to dominate sides so let's just give in aim to do a Greece to win the world cup.

We have a winner! Wilshere or somebody pressing like Henderson or perhaps Milner ahead of Gerrard and Carrick. Might have worked better the other night too.

ReputationRep:
    Henderson? Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trrr)
    Henderson? Lol
    Scored and did more in the season than Nani, Valencia and '3% conversion' Welbeck.

Basing it around Liverpool and Man U is a good idea. They both have higher than average english %.

I love how people think England was a top footballing country nationally. It never was. 1 World Cup on home soil, and 2/3 SFs and endless group/R16 and some QF results.

Face it. We're not a footballing country. We don't have a massive talent pool like Brazil. For a few decades after '66, we got comfortable with what we had. We've had to fix anything ever since, it's unlikely we'll see any results happening until the 20s

Sturridge is a good shout. When he plays good, he plays good. Seriously he is untouchable when he is on fire. Too bad that isn't too often. And he is injury prone.

ReputationRep:

Personally that's what I think we should do tbh. Gerrard and carrick can obviously pass from deep and wilshere can play a BBM role. We wouldn't get too exposed with lack of mobility with wilshere in midfield. We'll see with henderson if he can get more games for liverpool next season and improve then he's a shout, same goes for cleverley as englands lack of mobility will just allow teams to pass through us like what happened against brazil. Obviously lamps should be in the squad but not a starter and milner/parker to run around when we need to shut down the opposition.

But I don't see anything past a quarter final.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Personally that's what I think we should do tbh. Gerrard and carrick can obviously pass from deep and wilshere can play a BBM role. We wouldn't get too exposed with lack of mobility with wilshere in midfield. We'll see with henderson if he can get more games for liverpool next season and improve then he's a shout, same goes for cleverley as englands lack of mobility will just allow teams to pass through us like what happened against brazil. Obviously lamps should be in the squad but not a starter and milner/parker to run around when we need to shut down the opposition.

But I don't see anything past a quarter final.
    Move over Roy!

I just think since we're somewhat technically limited in terms of skill to beat players man for man or out-passing another team, then we should go back to good old basics. We can defend compactly and if you're defending in your own third, mobility shouldn't be as much of an issue. I think you're right that any of Henderson, Cleverly, Milner, Parker etc can all be brought on to further stiffle the opposition if/once we have the lead.

Would I complain if we won the world cup playing route one football? Hell no Some blistering counter-attacking football can be quite entertaining too.

ReputationRep:
    Move over Roy!

I just think since we're somewhat technically limited in terms of skill to beat players man for man or out-passing another team, then we should go back to good old basics. We can defend compactly and if you're defending in your own third, mobility shouldn't be as much of an issue. I think you're right that any of Henderson, Cleverly, Milner, Parker etc can all be brought on to further stiffle the opposition if/once we have the lead.

Would I complain if we won the world cup playing route one football? Hell no Some blistering counter-attacking football can be quite entertaining too.
    I don't think we're that limited in that sense. What we don't have are players who can pass and are able to beat their man(wilshere is the only person I can think of), well not at the level of teams like brazil/germany/spain etc, we have good passers in gerrard/lampard/wilshere who can dictate play when at their best.

I'd like us to play counter attacking football than straight direct route one and think we have the players for it and are better suited to counter attacking than playing like stoke. We're not the most physical side who can bully teams I feel but if we choose the right players we'd have a pacey team on the wings and have energy in midfield. Personally I think we have a team capable of winning the world cup, but only with the right players and the right tactics. By that I mean not just trying to hoof the ball to carroll.

I'd like us to play low pressing counter attacking football. We need a clinical striker for that who won't waste chances created for him by the ox/walcott/lennon/insert pacey winger with decent technical ability. Hopefully sturridge/rooney/defoe could be the man for that. We'd also need the wingers to do a fair bit of defensive work and even play at fullback(see bayern munich) for this to work too.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.