The Spanish Football Thread Watch

This discussion is part of a series.
view next
Icecream1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sevilla were too good for them. I hope Mattheus recovers from what looked like a bad injury.

5 La Liga teams in the CL!
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Great to see that from Sevilla. Emery imo is the manager of the season in Spain, along with Enrique.
Icecream1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
Great to see that from Sevilla. Emery imo is the manager of the season in Spain, along with Enrique.
Lucho, Emery and then maybe Nuno.

Paco is impressive, having a new team every season, made of loans and frees and the gets them to play great football and a mid table finish. I would love to see him at a "bigger team".
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Surprised Real Madrid weren't tempted by Emery tbf.

Great victory for Sevilla - and a great feat to claim back-to-back EL titles. I'd suggest that they won't do too well in the CL, though, and will be lucky to get past the group stage.

Valencia may be the surprise package of the entire CL tournament next campaign.
Zander01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Past 10 seasons La liga teams have won 16 European competitions. Guess Barca could maybe make it 17?

Bravo
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most impressive thing about Emery is his shrewdness in the transfer market. They had to deal with an exodus last summer - not like Southampton, admittedly, but not far off - with Fazio, Moreno and Rakitic all being poached. They've recruited extremely well, though, and Emery seems to be a savvy manager when it comes to replacing players.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tbh it's worse than Soton since these are clearly better players than those that were sold at Soton.

Rakitic being sold is similar to Liverpool losing Suarez, especially when you consider what he's(Rakitic) bringing to Barcelona atm.

La Liga next season will be interesting for the battle for 4th place. Atlético could easily get dragged into it if they sell Griezmann, although you'd expect them to finish 3rd. Sevilla and Valencia fighting for 4th again will be interesting if they get past the group stages of CL as that means only one of them can get a CL spot.
swirly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tbh it's worse than Soton since these are clearly better players than those that were sold at Soton.

Rakitic being sold is similar to Liverpool losing Suarez, especially when you consider what he's(Rakitic) bringing to Barcelona atm.

La Liga next season will be interesting for the battle for 4th place. Atlético could easily get dragged into it if they sell Griezmann, although you'd expect them to finish 3rd. Sevilla and Valencia fighting for 4th again will be interesting if they get past the group stages of CL as that means only one of them can get a CL spot.
is Rakitic the heir to Xavi?

From his stats last season seems a more Aaron Ramsey type player.

which leads to my question, thoughts on how well Cazorla would fit in at Barca as an immediate Xavi replacement.
Icecream1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by swirly)

From his stats last season seems a more Aaron Ramsey type player.

which leads to my question, thoughts on how well Cazorla would fit in at Barca as an immediate Xavi replacement.
I think Santi would be decent but I don't think he would fit the system. David Silva would be a better fit but would need a ball player, someone to control the tempo of the game. Gundogan would be a good option considering he will be available soon.

Rafinha, Samper and (Denis) Suarez are coming through so we will see if they can stake a claim in midfield. I'm not a big fan of Roberto, he will probably be at Stoke soon .
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Comparisons to Xavi will be the kiss of death for him. He needs to fashion his own career path, I think. He's a great player and was easily the man of the match at the Allianz against Bayern Munich in my opinion.
swirly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
Comparisons to Xavi will be the kiss of death for him. He needs to fashion his own career path, I think. He's a great player and was easily the man of the match at the Allianz against Bayern Munich in my opinion.
but otherwise they say he's had a bad season?

like modric in his debut real season.

full disclosure: dont watch la liga, just go off fifa ratings.
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

If they lose Griezmann, I may put a little flutter on Valencia to finish in the top three. A great, great side. Just depends how they manage to perform domestically while battling on the CL front, too.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

strong
swirly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
strong
might aswell admit it, Im not professing to be an expert here.

also, Im only asking about players out of interest, Im not really making judgement myself.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

He's had a very good season imo. Wasn't great at the start but neither was most of the midfield(although the defence were good) but he's come good, in big games he's been fantastic e.g. vs Bayern and vs City.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Rakitic has been huge for Barcelona especially when it got important in the second half of the season as Jam said. I wouldn't take Cazorla + money for Rakitic lol. Hell no :rofl:
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Malevolent)
Rakitic has been huge for Barcelona especially when it got important in the second half of the season as Jam said. I wouldn't take Cazorla + money for Rakitic lol. Hell no :rofl:
I think he was saying whether Cazorla would be bought as a replacement for Xavi. Since Cazorla has been playing deeper. Cazorla's role's been a bit like Fabregas.

Speaking of that. Would you take Fabregas back, considering how he's done at Chelsea this season? Would you replace him for Iniesta in the starting lineup.
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Every time I see Rakitic he's impressed me. He hasn't had a bad debut season at the Nou Camp at all. In fact, he's been their standout midfield performer and often takes some limelight away from the MSN three-pronged attack.

Even if he was compared to Modric, that wouldn't worry me, given the fact Modric is probably one of Madrid's three most important players nowadays.
Pimped Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Speaking of that. Would you take Fabregas back, considering how he's done at Chelsea this season? Would you replace him for Iniesta in the starting lineup.
Fabregas' performance at Chelsea was not unexpected and doesn't change anything about his quality, or style, not being suitable for Barca.

He doesn't have the right mentality, he can't play in midfield for them. He loses the ball too much in big games, doesn't offer the dribbling abilities of Iniesta, the composure or the defensive awareness. If Lucho wanted, he could have not asked Xavi to stay last summer, and kept Fabregas instead. But he didn't, because Fabregas doesn't fit at Barca, and he definitely wouldn't in an attacking role this season given their front three. And his **** performance in the second half of the season, the crunch games, has continued at Chelsea too. Barca fans laugh at the idea of him playing for them in the midfield long term, so even with Iniesta's decline/more unspectacular role/perfomance this season, he's more suited to the club, and better in midfield, than Cesc.
Pimped Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Icecream1)
I think Santi would be decent but I don't think he would fit the system. David Silva would be a better fit but would need a ball player, someone to control the tempo of the game. Gundogan would be a good option considering he will be available soon.

Rafinha, Samper and (Denis) Suarez are coming through so we will see if they can stake a claim in midfield. I'm not a big fan of Roberto, he will probably be at Stoke soon .
Silva replacing Iniesta/Xavi in midfield? That'd be an awful fit, he's far too lightweight and attacking. Santi would definitely be a better fit as shown by his box to box role for Arsenal this season. There's probably a question of quality with Santi though, whereas Silva could easily slot into a normal Barca front three (ie not as good as MSN).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1384)
79.54%
Leave (356)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise