Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Design Argument. Right 8 Marks = 4 related reasons.
    1. William Paley likened the world to a watch, because it contains so many parts fitting together, every part has a purpose, this means something as complicated as the world requires a designer this may lead people to a belief in God if they think they may be the designer who created the world and gave each individual component a purpose.
    2. The World is to complex to just have 'occurred' it requires someone to make sure every single part fits together, this would required the presence of a designer, this may make people believe in God if they believe he's the designer.
    3. The only way something such as the world could have been created is by something greater, as some people believe this is a God, this would make other people searching for a purpose to believe it would be God.
    4. Everything has to have a cause and Thomas Aquinas believed if you revert back to the 'first cause' that this was God, this would make people believe in God while searching for a purpose because God caused them to be there for a given purpose

(Note: 4 isn't a design argument point, but the cosmological, needed a fourth potential idea)

Thanks you soo much. That was really helpful :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    it ain't hard to tell
    Yh How are you ?

ReputationRep:
    Design Argument. Right 8 Marks = 4 related reasons.
    1. William Paley likened the world to a watch, because it contains so many parts fitting together, every part has a purpose, this means something as complicated as the world requires a designer this may lead people to a belief in God if they think they may be the designer who created the world and gave each individual component a purpose.
    2. The World is to complex to just have 'occurred' it requires someone to make sure every single part fits together, this would required the presence of a designer, this may make people believe in God if they believe he's the designer.
    3. The only way something such as the world could have been created is by something greater, as some people believe this is a God, this would make other people searching for a purpose to believe it would be God.
    4. Everything has to have a cause and Thomas Aquinas believed if you revert back to the 'first cause' that this was God, this would make people believe in God while searching for a purpose because God caused them to be there for a given purpose

(Note: 4 isn't a design argument point, but the cosmological, needed a fourth potential idea)
    That's amazing... However, i can't tell the difference between points 1 & 2...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If any of you take drama, did you make the examiner laugh during the performance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    We are a Christian country because one greedy ******* wanted to tell his wife to do one :sigh: - it shouldn't mean that it is forced down our throats. How many 'Christians' actually believe in God? That's a good question (as a hell of a lot of our country are misrepresented in the census - I'm not Christian but according to my dad I am :facepalm:)

The education does need redoing - it needs to be done in a way so every religion gets an equal amount of focus, atheism and lack of religion needs addressed equally and needs to be done in a way which doesn't make it look like the authors of the textbooks aren't sneering at atheists (which at least one of mine is). They should also just completely change the exam question to being -"do you agree?*

*YOUR HONEST OPINION MAY NOT BE VALID IN THIS SITUATION IF YOU'RE ATHEIST"
    My "Education needs Re-doing" isn't just for Education, we're mad, with the extensive exams etc. few other countries do this.
    There are Four types of Christian:
    1. "Christian By Record" E.g. Me: according to school/CENSUS Records, they are of this religion, not necessarily true.
    2. "I'm Christian" Christians - Believe God and Jesus therefore Christian, no knowledge about the 35,000 branches within Christianity, quite a lot of people
    3. "Selective Christians" People who follow the 'good bits' of the Bible (that I agree with - Commandments etc.) and possibly some of the bad stuff (homosexuality is wrong). Go to church etc.
    4. Literalists: Believe every word. Rare in Britain, more in 'Bible-Belt America'. Are either Gullible or stupid

And I agree, I have my religion, they have theirs, leave it at that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    That sucks!! We don't even do option blocks here for GCSE or A-Level to begin with, what happens is they see all applications and see how many students want to do what and what their combinations are; they then start trying to construct their timetables from there. I am for example now choosing to do
    French
    Spanish
    History
    Maths
    GCSE Latin (gonna ask to drop Computing at interview)

and just because 3 people want to do French and Spanish the entire lower sixth is having it's lessons structured around those two lessons being compatible with each other, which I really love my MFL department for. Miss Lane and Miss Johnson I love you <3
    As far as I've been told they literally just don't have the money to run a German class for like 2/3 people.

French only got 2 applications I hear :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    That's amazing... However, i can't tell the difference between points 1 & 2...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1 is about how every single part fits together perfectly which is very difficult to achieve naturally 2 is more about how it's just so many components and the sheer complexity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PriyaPaul)
    Yh How are you ?

You know.. just surviving the times

ReputationRep:
    Princceeeeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1 is about how every single part fits together perfectly which is very difficult to achieve naturally 2 is more about how it's just so many components and the sheer complexity
    Ooh... I get it! What are challenges to the design argument?
    - watch is mechanical and Earth is organic so they can't be likened and compared?
    - result of evolution, not a planning intelligence?
    - wrong to talk about design because there is no fixed design - Universe is expanding. (This one is from textbook and sounds sooo poopy)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    If any of you take drama, did you make the examiner laugh during the performance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I want to! Or make him or her cry! :ahee:

And about the drawings, my iPod has just died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    Princceeeeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lool..what ?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone use text to twitter? If I have unlimited texts It shouldn't charge me but I want to make sure from someone who uses it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    I want to! Or make him or her cry! :ahee:

And about the drawings, my iPod has just died.
    Hahaha one group in my school made him laugh out loud! And he had to cover his mouth and go back to being neutral. Theirs was HILARIOUS though, i was laughing out loud when I watched it. I laugh just thinking about it... Like now. Let me know how you do!!

Darnnn... Tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PriyaPaul)
    lool..what ?
    Haha I was calling Prince?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    Hahaha one group in my school made him laugh out loud! And he had to cover his mouth and go back to being neutral. Theirs was HILARIOUS though, i was laughing out loud when I watched it. I laugh just thinking about it... Like now. Let me know how you do!!

Darnnn... Tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's amazing! I'll be getting tips from you on how to make the audience laugh!

I'll do it as soon as possible! But I don't have any drawings, tell me what I should draw, and I'll take a picture later!

ReputationRep:
    My "Education needs Re-doing" isn't just for Education, we're mad, with the extensive exams etc. few other countries do this.
    There are Four types of Christian:
    1. "Christian By Record" E.g. Me: according to school/CENSUS Records, they are of this religion, not necessarily true.
    2. "I'm Christian" Christians - Believe God and Jesus therefore Christian, no knowledge about the 35,000 branches within Christianity, quite a lot of people
    3. "Selective Christians" People who follow the 'good bits' of the Bible (that I agree with - Commandments etc.) and possibly some of the bad stuff (homosexuality is wrong). Go to church etc.
    4. Literalists: Believe every word. Rare in Britain, more in 'Bible-Belt America'. Are either Gullible or stupid

And I agree, I have my religion, they have theirs, leave it at that
    Yeah we get way too many exams and courseworks etc. - when you count up the hours it's unreal - 45hrs in IT, Around 40 hours total invested in language coursework prep and time spend doing them, 12 hours of history, like 30 hours of geography and then all of the english ones and then there is the unreal amount of exams we get. We get way too much.

Yeah I wish that it would just be more black and white - that or make it so every person has to sign off on their religion individually in the household rather than let your parents just say what you are - when it's not the case.

(Original post by MangoFreak)
    As far as I've been told they literally just don't have the money to run a German class for like 2/3 people.

French only got 2 applications I hear :mmm:
    Wow that's surprising! - why so few applications?

Our lessons will be really full but I already know who is teaching me for French and Spanish :woo: <3. I'm so happy it's not different teachers as I like my current ones as they are insanely good.

ReputationRep:
    That's amazing! I'll be getting tips from you on how to make the audience laugh!

I'll do it as soon as possible! But I don't have any drawings, tell me what I should draw, and I'll take a picture later!
    I know! They were really proud, as they should've been! But ah ma gahd, I miss drama. I will ask them for you how they made it funny! Lol their freeze frames were world class....

Okok... Draw... Someone. Draw someone on here... How you think they look. Not me though -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    I know! They were really proud, as they should've been! But ah ma gahd, I miss drama. I will ask them for you how they made it funny! Lol their freeze frames were world class....

Okok... Draw... Someone. Draw someone on here... How you think they look. Not me though -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Drama's awesome! You should miss it! Wow, the epic-ness of freeze frames!

Who though!? Anyone I draw would be quite offensive, my drawings are awful, and I wouldn't know who to choose!

ReputationRep:
    Drama's awesome! You should miss it! Wow, the epic-ness of freeze frames!

Who though!? Anyone I draw would be quite offensive, my drawings are awful, and I wouldn't know who to choose!
    the guilt eats me C!!! Everyone at school always calls me an idiot for not taking drama and some say they're really surprised I don't do it. I could've been getting A's in Drama. *sobs*

Haha draw Brad pitt! I warn you though... Don't add his beard!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.