Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Would expect so, but once again it will be high, and Michu isn't in the same bracket as someone such as Suarez and i very seriously doubt Wenger would see value in the fee.

Swansea aren't really the club to buy from atm if you want good value, we have been on the up seasons after season and first team players will have large premiums on their heads such as Williams who wouldn't be sold for less than £10m. I have every faith Michu will stay another year at least, the lack of activity of clubs after him says enough to me.
    It's probably somewhere in the 20m region though given you rates Bony at 12m it's probably 25m but doubt Michu would think clubs would pay that much for him. Yeah, don't expect him to leave this summer- the so called big teams probably want to make sure last season wasn't s fluke. Same with Benteker. January will be interesting time for Michu.

ReputationRep:
    Lol apparently there's a rumour going round on Twitter than Luiz Gustavo has signed for VFL Wolfsburg. If this is true I might just cry tbh honestly I pray to go it's not true.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting article in the Daily Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...otched-2159970

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Lol apparently there's a rumour going round on Twitter than Luiz Gustavo has signed for VFL Wolfsburg. If this is true I might just cry tbh honestly I pray to go it's not true.
    If arsenal cant tempt a player to join, over Wolfsburg... then I dont know whats happening with this club any more

hope its not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    that is the problem

There are other players.. but they are all such a gamble..

Dzeko, hernandez, michu, huntlear, etc.. have all been mentioned.

But all of them are big risks.

They would all require fairly large sums to draw them away from their clubs (especially for Dzeko/hernandez)

Yet none are as proven as suarez, all could fail..

- though personally if it were my choice, id plump for Michu I really do rate the guy, and he could probably be tempted away for ~£20m

Still a huge gamble though
    I wouldnt call Dzeko a big risk he proved himself in the bundesliga and bags for City when he can actually get on the pitch, he would be a great signing but it is basically guaranteed not to happen

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me who thinks Wenger shouldn't be involved in transfers the way he is? Fine if he locates hidden gems/superstar players/any players he recommends we buy, but he shouldn't be involved in the actual negotiations of transfers, the figures over it. Have some input sure, but the fact that if he deems a player too expensive beause of his own personal values, then it's one man holding back the ambitions of a whole club desperately trying to move forward.

Sure, we can be patient, wait for players to come good, but what happens after the patience? At the moment we're still the fourth best team in England, have a good reputation across Europe and are in the Champions League - because of those three things, it means we can attract a certain calibre of player. But what if we miss out on Champions League, slowly drop down the pecking order. As soon as Liverpool dropped out (and to an extent, look at how much stronger Newcastle and Villa used to be), look how difficult they've found it to get back in. What if we have another trophyless season because we allow Wenger to control every aspect of the club. Next summer, what will be going through Cazorla and Koscielny's minds? "Hmm, these big clubs are interested in me, but maybe I should stick at Arsenal even though the squad won't improve and there isn't a desire and expectation to win trophies".

Look at all the players we've missed out on through the years - readymade stars like Mata, and this season it looks like it's going to be Suarez. I admire Wenger for going against the trend over the last decade and keeping Arsenal financially secure, but when I read that Swiss Ramble report last week that confirms there's a minimum of £70m to spend, I was pretty pissed off. It's nice to brag about having money in the bank and doing things the "right" way but I would rather be bragging about a Premier League trophy as well. The two aren't mutually exclusive, the Emirates deal means we get money for years and years and years, we're not anywhere in danger of being a Portsmouth. Being safe with money and being a winner shouldn't be mutually exclusive. The board have come out and said in explicit terms the money is available for Wenger to spend. All the players have said to the media they want us to sign big players. The fans want Arsenal to spend. And yet, there's a feeling that if we'd just dug our hands into our pockets a bit further to £50m - easily doable considering how financially secure we are and how incredible a player Suarez is - that Suarez would have already put on an Arsenal shirt by now.

Arsene Wenger is one of the best football managers in the world, and one of - if not the - best to ever manage Arsenal. I have never doubted his brilliance in relation to on field matters, and for as long as there is reason to I will always support him as a manager of our players and our football. Transfers? No. Hidden gems, fine, but let's not act like Wenger's own values (and the fact he knows he will never be fired) have held us back in the transfer market this summer, and even last summer. I like my hairdresser, but I wouldn't like her to be my dentist. I like Wenger as our football manager, but I don't like him in charge of big superstar transfers. Hidden gems, fine. But "ready-made superstars"? This isn't his area, and despite his brilliance I don't know why he has control over transfers in every single aspect. We've fought hard for the commercial deals that will establish the security and consistency of our finances for many years, now it's time to reward the patience of the fans by spending that money. Wenger either needs to move with the times and put his own personal values with regards to transfers aside, or we need to employ someone to work alongside him to being in charge of the negotiation of transfers.

ReputationRep:
    RvP on Rooney: "He should be loyal & stay at Manchester since it's them that made him who he is today"

Ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    RvP on Rooney: "He should be loyal & stay at Manchester since it's them that made him who he is today"

Ha.
    The quotes are fake, made up by someone on Twitter.

ReputationRep:
    I would have loved to see Gustavo in the Premier League but seems like he's chosen Wolfsburg. Why the hell would you go to Wolfsburg? Probably his agent is getting paid a load of cash and has convinced the player to join them. Or maybe Gustavo just told the media he wanted to play for Arsenal to get more money out of Wolfsburg. Other than that I simply don't understand that decision of his.

ReputationRep:
    that decision that has been reported in one german newspaper and seems to be based on pretty much nothing?

seriously, people need to stop believing EVERYTHING they read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Is it just me who thinks Wenger shouldn't be involved in transfers the way he is? Fine if he locates hidden gems/superstar players/any players he recommends we buy, but he shouldn't be involved in the actual negotiations of transfers, the figures over it. Have some input sure, but the fact that if he deems a player too expensive beause of his own personal values, then it's one man holding back the ambitions of a whole club desperately trying to move forward.

Sure, we can be patient, wait for players to come good, but what happens after the patience? At the moment we're still the fourth best team in England, have a good reputation across Europe and are in the Champions League - because of those three things, it means we can attract a certain calibre of player. But what if we miss out on Champions League, slowly drop down the pecking order. As soon as Liverpool dropped out (and to an extent, look at how much stronger Newcastle and Villa used to be), look how difficult they've found it to get back in. What if we have another trophyless season because we allow Wenger to control every aspect of the club. Next summer, what will be going through Cazorla and Koscielny's minds? "Hmm, these big clubs are interested in me, but maybe I should stick at Arsenal even though the squad won't improve and there isn't a desire and expectation to win trophies".

Look at all the players we've missed out on through the years - readymade stars like Mata, and this season it looks like it's going to be Suarez. I admire Wenger for going against the trend over the last decade and keeping Arsenal financially secure, but when I read that Swiss Ramble report last week that confirms there's a minimum of £70m to spend, I was pretty pissed off. It's nice to brag about having money in the bank and doing things the "right" way but I would rather be bragging about a Premier League trophy as well. The two aren't mutually exclusive, the Emirates deal means we get money for years and years and years, we're not anywhere in danger of being a Portsmouth. Being safe with money and being a winner shouldn't be mutually exclusive. The board have come out and said in explicit terms the money is available for Wenger to spend. All the players have said to the media they want us to sign big players. The fans want Arsenal to spend. And yet, there's a feeling that if we'd just dug our hands into our pockets a bit further to £50m - easily doable considering how financially secure we are and how incredible a player Suarez is - that Suarez would have already put on an Arsenal shirt by now.

Arsene Wenger is one of the best football managers in the world, and one of - if not the - best to ever manage Arsenal. I have never doubted his brilliance in relation to on field matters, and for as long as there is reason to I will always support him as a manager of our players and our football. Transfers? No. Hidden gems, fine, but let's not act like Wenger's own values (and the fact he knows he will never be fired) have held us back in the transfer market this summer, and even last summer. I like my hairdresser, but I wouldn't like her to be my dentist. I like Wenger as our football manager, but I don't like him in charge of big superstar transfers. Hidden gems, fine. But "ready-made superstars"? This isn't his area, and despite his brilliance I don't know why he has control over transfers in every single aspect. We've fought hard for the commercial deals that will establish the security and consistency of our finances for many years, now it's time to reward the patience of the fans by spending that money. Wenger either needs to move with the times and put his own personal values with regards to transfers aside, or we need to employ someone to work alongside him to being in charge of the negotiation of transfers.
    1) Suarez was never coming to us. Wenger thought £40.001m would get him and it didn't. His latest remarks to Uruguayan media has turned me against signing him. He is clearly holding out for Real Madrid and he will only go really mental for a move when and if they or Barca come knocking.

2) £70m as I've said before will do little to provide depth to our squad. One player won't make much difference I don't feel. Gustavo and a top class striker would sure make our first 11 probably among the best in the premier league but what if that top striker gets injured for 6 months or Kosc (god forbid) has a bad one. Back to square one.

Feel people overrate how much money we have. Yes, £70m is there but the market is incredibly inflated atm. Tbh Spurs are able to spend because they have such a valuable asset in Bale. If they didn't have him they'd be risking a lot of money on making champions league. They can spend knowing he will only get better. My feeling is he'll stay and go to Madrid next summer for a more realistic fee as he'll probably force it saying, 'I gave you another season'.

Until Kroenke decides to dip into his pocket a little bit we won't have the financial clout to battle for the narrow pool of players available. As someone noted, half a dozen top European clubs are on the lookout for a striker - Chelsea have 4 top quality (well, at least 3) strikers and are on the look out for another...we've haven't even got one, just to put things into perspective. We can still be financially stable with a bit of backing...it only gets serious when you have hundreds of millions.

Football really is about the owner loving the club these days (at least outside of German football). We won't win the league again without being on par with the rest, it just doesn't work. Heck, if Monaco's owner came along and did what he did this summer for Norwich City or someone we could be out of top 4. - that's all it takes for the tables to turn, a rich owner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    that decision that has been reported in one german newspaper and seems to be based on pretty much nothing?

seriously, people need to stop believing EVERYTHING they read.
    Would be the equivalent of the Guardian in the UK reporting it tbf and he was going to sign for them before Wenger showed his hand.

But then his comments would make this move a bit contradictory unless of course we offered poor terms.

I wouldn't read too much into it yet either.

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't been a good day for us.

Walking past the Emirates feeling two emotions. First is sad; sad to see the club in this state but also one of anger; angry that nothing is being done about it.

Just look at Tottenham. Bale or no Bale, they've bought in quality - players we could have done with. Paulinho looks a good MF and Soldado will get goals. Almost feel like AVB should be our manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We complain that players like RVP leave but I think we're the stupid ones. Why should they stay and hold onto Wenger's hands? Wilshere and Koscielny should look to move on if Wenger stays and this season is another waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    We complain that players like RVP leave but I think we're the stupid ones. Why should they stay and hold onto Wenger's hands? Wilshere and Koscielny should look to move on if Wenger stays and this season is another waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, I'm hoping Wenger's contract isn't renewed if he doesn't improve on 3rd. 2nd should be minimum requirement otherwise we should shake hands, say thank you so much for doubles, the invicibles, the moving to a new stadium, but this club needs success and we need a manager who can offer some new inspiration.

We may regret it but the way we're going we're going one way and that's downwards.

I hope to god his contract doesn't get reviewed until at least January, papers say talks have already started...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Well, I'm hoping Wenger's contract isn't renewed if he doesn't improve on 3rd. 2nd should be minimum requirement otherwise we should shake hands, say thank you so much for doubles, the invicibles, the moving to a new stadium, but this club needs success and we need a manager who can offer some new inspiration.

We may regret it but the way we're going we're going one way and that's downwards.

I hope to god his contract doesn't get reviewed until at least January, papers say talks have already started...
    The contract talks won't be held back until this season is over - especially with the demand there is for him. But by January we should know how the season is panning and if it's wise, from a football point of view, to offer him a contract. But people like Ivan Gazidis shouldn't get away - that guy is also behind the demise of Arsenal.

Maybe Arsenal just need a whole new board and manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)

I don't want him to get a new contract but he obviously will

Lets not be stupid, no matter who we buy we will still be fourth favourites for the title rightly so because the others are better that is just reality, you cannot sack a manager for not reaching a unlikely target tbh. Its stupid to base someones future on finishing higher than teams which are already far better and have far greater financial muscle.

As long as he gets fourth next season he will certainly be offered a new contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    The contract talks won't be held back until this season is over - especially with the demand there is for him. But by January we should know how the season is panning and if it's wise, from a football point of view, to offer him a contract. But people like Ivan Gazidis shouldn't get away - that guy is also behind the demise of Arsenal.

Maybe Arsenal just need a whole new board and manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not too much we can do about the board tbh. Other than protest.

As for Wenger, his position isn't too secure atm tbh. So that's why I'm hoping he'll spend, but in his head he may already be planning for PSG if his current crop can't deliver, which they won't without some additions.

Really wish Usmanov could do more. He seems to care about the club a hell of a lot more than Stan

ReputationRep:
    This is how you're all making me feel

ReputationRep:
    This must be one of the most stressful days of my life, all this ****ing bull**** in the transfer window going + A-Level results in the morning, need a stiff drink I think

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.