Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Wenger actively hates signing ready made players, doesnt do it for him. Also not a risk taker so will agonise over the valuation of a player for weeks and weeks. Higuain/Suarez prime examples.

2006-2012 that strategy was perfectly aligned with the fact we were boracic lint but now it's just a hindrance to progress
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    What is this vitriol aimed towards me?

Hopefully we can get Tiago on a free, he was a pretty good player for us and can pass the ball very well. Least we can rotate between him and fabregas.

But anyway this is the Arsenal thread. Why the hell is your team so boring when it comes to the transfer window?

I'm not even trying to par here. Like at least with United last year you could laugh at their transfers and their incompetence and you know that one of City or Chelsea are just going to overpay for somebody or make a big signing but you guys are just boring.
    I wish we were boringly efficient like Chelsea, but instead we're boringly inactive...

ReputationRep:
    Wenger wants to watch players at the World Cup. Puma deal does not activate until July 1st. We have always been very low risk in the transfer market in recent years. Although if Gazidis' Q&A is anything to go by, we are already in "deep negotiations" with several players.

ReputationRep:
    Didnt want him back now that Ozil is here, said that all last week on here too. Would have bitten Bara's hand off 12 months ago however.

Not saying he's not a quality player, but it's fair to say his last season at Arsenal was injury plagued and not up to his previous standard while his last 3 years have been an unqualified failure.
    You said last week ud swap ozil for fabregas in a heartbeat

ReputationRep:
    I reckon he'll give him that status. Mourinho did that with Sneijder e.g.

Mourinho gives Hazard that status. Fabregas to me has never been good enough to be the fulcrum of the team for a side challenging for top trophies but he's a good semi cog.

am i that obvious.
    Fabregas at his peak was better than hazard is now though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    We've been linked with Rodrigo Caio a DM, who plays for São Paulo. Don't know too much about him, but some reports he's the 'next big thing' :rolleyes:
    Always dubious about signing Brazilian players. The only sides that seem to get the proper players are from Portugal/Spain/Russia/Ukraine.

We just end up with Denilson

What an absolutely shocking player Denilson was btw
    Rodrigo Caio actually is a decent player, he breaks up attacking play very well and distributes the ball well, which is what we need. He's also versatile and can play at CB which would be a plus for us in our current situation. He won the player of tournament award at the 2014 toulon tournament.

The thing with signing players direct from Brazil is that the style of play is so different, it's always a risk. If the player is decent/promising but not truly outstanding, you always have a risk that they can't cope with the physicality, pressing and lack of time/space in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    I would have yeah, but there was a huge amount of sentimentality attached to that rather than a judgement on their relative quality as such...

and of course you cant have both

ReputationRep:
    I would have yeah, but there was a huge amount of sentimentality attached to that rather than a judgement on their relative quality as such...

and of course you cant have both
    Fabregas had a better season than ozil maybe ozils already peaked

ReputationRep:
    Fabregas at his peak was better than hazard is now though
    I disagree. Hazard offers more than Fabregas, Hazard can control a game, offers an injection in pace, his link up play is very good and he can create and score goals by himself. It's not his fault that there is little to no creativity in the rest of the team's due to the tactics. Fabregas can do most of that but Hazards close control and acceleration is probably what makes him the better player. If Hazard was playing for Madrid he'd be better than Bale tbh. Ronaldo would love him.

Nice to see his consistency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Jam is a **** so personally hope that happens!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Repped. Nice to see you guys treating your ex arsenal legends with respect again.

ReputationRep:

Where's the inconsistency?

In a hypothetical swap I would have been up for it. Didnt want to sign Fabregas with Ozil already here however.

Wouldnt swap now though since Cesc turned out to be a chav

Fabregas had a better season than ozil maybe ozils already peaked
    Debatable really, cant say I watched Barca enough to have a proper opinion but Barca certainly told him to GTFO in the most ruthless way possible even after losing Thiago.

Was Ozil's first season in a new league with a system that was far from ideal. Should do much better in 2014/15. Even then Ozil had a solid season imo, was immaculate vs Napoli and Everton off the top of my head and a few minor league games where he was brilliant early doors.

Players almost always improve under Wenger and Ozil is 24 so watch this space.

Repped. Nice to see you guys treating your ex arsenal legends with respect again.

''Respect the name on the front of the shirt, and they'll remember the name on the back'' Tony Adams

But vermin like RVP, Cesc etc can forget they ever played for Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Hazard offers more than Fabregas, Hazard can control a game, offers an injection in pace, his link up play is very good and he can create and score goals by himself. It's not his fault that there is little to no creativity in the rest of the team's due to the tactics. Fabregas can do most of that but Hazards close control and acceleration is probably what makes him the better player. If Hazard was playing for Madrid he'd be better than Bale tbh. Ronaldo would love him.

I think hazard will become better but in 2006 I remember fabregas being regarded as one of the best midfielders in the world. Infact he came 8th in the ballon'dor and was dominating week after week in the prem consistently which I haven't seen hazard do yet

ReputationRep:
    Fabregas used to dictate games for us in his last two seasons here. There were games where we would be a goal down, or tied 0-0 and the rest of the team would just pass to him at every opportunity hoping he would create or score a goal. At times it was embarrassing, but it just goes to show important Fabregas can be for a team. Hazard and Fabregas are two completely different players anyway, it would be pointless to compare them. Might as well compare Bale with Modric?

Wenger got the best of Cesc because we play free-flowing football and allowed Cesc to drift wherever he liked on the pitch (hence why he scored so many goals). Will Mourinho give him the licence to do that? Probably not

ReputationRep:
    Forget cesc now, it's done.

Reports are emerging that we're in for a "double swoop" for Hulk & Balotelli. Obviously I'm taking these rumours with a pinch of salt, especially given their unreliable source.. But it would be an interesting move if we were to get both. They would both inject pace & power in our team. To be honest, Arsenal players are so weak.. We could do with some beasts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Forget cesc now, it's done.

Reports are emerging that we're in for a "double swoop" for Hulk & Balotelli. Obviously I'm taking these rumours with a pinch of salt, especially given their unreliable source.. But it would be an interesting move if we were to get both. They would both inject pace & power in our team. To be honest, Arsenal players are so weak.. We could do with some beasts
    Doubt hulk will happen but Ballotelli seems likely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Hulk reports were all based on some Twitter guy pretending to be a journalist.

http://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/ars...mor-russia-nbc
    https://lfcboston.wordpress.com/2014...s-and-twitter/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Doubt hulk will happen but Ballotelli seems likely

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've always rated Hulk. His versatility allows him to play as a ST too.. And can obviously play on the wing (as he did for Brazil the other day)

But yea, that one seems unlikely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    The Hulk reports were all based on some Twitter guy pretending to be a journalist. He admitted it soon after.
    What? Rofl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    What? Rofl

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edited my post. He didn't admit it but was exposed fairly quickly. Just not before a bunch of crappy rumour websites quoted him without checking it.

And THAT'S why I don't hyped off a twitter rumour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Edited my post. He didn't admit it but was exposed fairly quickly.

And THAT'S why I don't hyped off a twitter rumour.
    Lol thank goodness I don't have a twitter account.

Do you remember in the Jan transfer window, when Wenger was reportedly seen in Spain watching a Barca game? Was that true? Maybe he's been long thinking about a swoop for one of their players :/

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.