Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    So how do people feel about where we are halfway through the season?

28 points from 19 is very poor and would only get us to 56 over a full season. On the other hand, everyone has been poor such that Man Utd are 3rd with 36 points and Southampton/Arsenal are on 33 points.

Can we make up a 5-8 point gap over the 2nd half of the season? Doesn't look great at the moment but perhaps FSG will twist in January and aim to buy 1 or 2 good players to help bridge the gap (and Sturridge may play at some point this season if we're lucky?).
    Even if we get an average of 2 points per game from now on, that gives us a finishing total of 66.
    Is that enough to get top 4?

Even so, do we have the quality and consistency to do that?
    Unfortunately I don't see us making top 4 unless arsenal have an almighty crumble or we somehow replicate form from last season.

I feel like the owners have 3 options.
    1) Invest more money to Rodgers in Jan and hope he buys well and salvages the season.
    2) Sack Rodgers and invest money to his replacement and hope he salvaged the season.
    3) Invest no money in January and write off this season entirely.

As a fan I hope option 1 is what happens, although I wouldn't blame the owners if they took option 3.
    Given how much we spent in the summer and how badly Rodgers has bought during his time here, would anybody blame them for not wanting to give him another penny?

As for option 2, it would be extremely unfair to not give Rodgers the full season, although I included it anyway as a slim possibility given our awful first half of the campaign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Yep. No such issue with the Sterling incident.

The linesman needs to be looked at, though. Surely dropped for the next set of fixtures?
    Officiating in the Premier League seems to be getting worse and worse each year.

It's come to the state where it's utterly laughable.
    Every single week there are several game changing decisions that are made incorrectly by officials and it's becoming insane.

I'm not sure if it's because of the stupid level of protections they get from the FA, but it seems like none of them know how to do their job anymore.

Cisse, Sterling and Shelvey were all clear and simple red card decisions yet all 3 received nothing from the referee (with the former going on to score a goal).
    Ridiculous.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Officiating in the Premier League seems to be getting worse and worse each year.

It's come to the state where it's utterly laughable.
    Every single week there are several game changing decisions that are made incorrectly by officials and it's becoming insane.

I'm not sure if it's because of the stupid level of protections they get from the FA, but it seems like none of them know how to do their job anymore.

Cisse, Sterling and Shelvey were all clear and simple red card decisions yet all 3 received nothing from the referee (with the former going on to score a goal).
    Ridiculous.
    Not even sure what the point is of the FA if they can't hand out retrospective punishments, either. What's the point in having two dozen Sky cameras at every ground?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Even if we get an average of 2 points per game from now on, that gives us a finishing total of 66.
    Is that enough to get top 4?

Even so, do we have the quality and consistency to do that?
    Unfortunately I don't see us making top 4 unless arsenal have an almighty crumble or we somehow replicate form from last season.

I feel like the owners have 3 options.
    1) Invest more money to Rodgers in Jan and hope he buys well and salvages the season.
    2) Sack Rodgers and invest money to his replacement and hope he salvaged the season.
    3) Invest no money in January and write off this season entirely.

As a fan I hope option 1 is what happens, although I wouldn't blame the owners if they took option 3.
    Given how much we spent in the summer and how badly Rodgers has bought during his time here, would anybody blame them for not wanting to give him another penny?

As for option 2, it would be extremely unfair to not give Rodgers the full season, although I included it anyway as a slim possibility given our awful first half of the campaign.
    It does look like it will be around/below 70 points to finish top 4 this season. It's going to be key to beat Man Utd and/or Arsenal next time round. Had we beat Arsenal and not drawn, we would've only been a point behind them now.

Well the obvious answer is that we need to score more and concede less. Perhaps Sturridge will help us score more but I don't know if Rodgers can get this team to stop conceding. We should sign Hyypia to play at CB ffs..

How many players would you buy in January though? Maybe 2 or 3 and you could easily blow over 50mil. Not sure if we can buy anyone decent since no one wants to sell without being able to get themselves a replacement.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Well the obvious answer is that we need to score more and concede less. Perhaps Sturridge will help us score more but I don't know if Rodgers can get this team to stop conceding. We should sign Hyypia to play at CB ffs..
    Was saying last week that we should employ Hyypia as a defensive coach. Takes him out of the spotlight of management for a while, he can continue to grow his skill set and learn from Rodgers etc.

ReputationRep:
    According to the mirror and metro we want 21 year old Luciano Vietto who plays for Villarreal as a forward. It's his first season playing for Villarreal and in 21 appearances he has scored 10 goals and has 4 assists so far. He sounds good but I've never watched him play so I don't know if he'll fit in at Liverpool/cope with the fast pace of BPL. No doubt it's paper talk since it's obvious we need a new striker...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    According to the mirror and metro we want 21 year old Luciano Vietto who plays for Villarreal as a forward. It's his first season playing for Villarreal and in 21 appearances he has scored 10 goals and has 4 assists so far. He sounds good but I've never watched him play so I don't know if he'll fit in at Liverpool/cope with the fast pace of BPL. No doubt it's paper talk since it's obvious we need a new striker...
    Its so obvious that you want another unproven kid running around in your squad :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Should have just got Menez for free but you ****ed that one up didn't you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jam277)
    Should have just got Menez for free but you ****ed that one up didn't you.
    Why would we need him when we've got Rickie, doe?

ReputationRep:
    Why would we need him when we've got Rickie, doe?
    Precisely.

Beats spending 20M on markovic while we're at it regardless of whether he becomes world class the aim was to consolidate a place in the top 4.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jam277)
    Precisely.

Beats spending 20M on markovic while we're at it regardless of whether he becomes world class the aim was to consolidate a place in the top 4.
    Would have killed for Sanchez tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Would have killed for Sanchez tbh.
    We offered more and he declined, unfortunately not much more we could do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't think we'll sign anyone in January. Maybe a keeper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn94)
    Don't think we'll sign anyone in January. Maybe a keeper.
    Reports that Rodgers has said it'll be quiet, although I would never believe anything said in the papers around this time.

It's quite clear that a striker and goalkeeper are absolute essentials.
    We could probably wait and buy a CB in the summer but it's imperative we sort the other two out ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Reports that Rodgers has said it'll be quiet, although I would never believe anything said in the papers around this time.

We could probably wait and buy a CB in the summer but it's imperative we sort the other two out ASAP.
    We only need two signings in Jan, a striker and GK is an absolute priority if we want to try and salvage this season. I personally don't think we'll make 4th spot so we should go all out for the EL and get CL qualification that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

FSG over the years haven't really spent in January (barring Studge/Coutinho), so I'm not holding out too much hope.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lúcio)

I'll be speechless if you don't sign a goalkeeper, especially now it's clear that your manager doesn't rate Mignolet. Don't know what Valdes is doing but there's no way we're signing him, we have the best keeper in the league and Lindegaard is very good back up. You should be all over that.

Not going to say Cech because let's be honest you aren't getting him.

ReputationRep:
    Had an absolutely perfect day planned out tomorrow.

Morning revision.
    United game at lunchtime.
    Liverpool game at 3.
    Chelsea game in the afternoon.
    Revision in the evening.
    MOTD late on.

I was recently informed that I'm now spending the day at my grandparents' house where they are devoid of almost any form of technology.
    Fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Had an absolutely perfect day planned out tomorrow.

Morning revision.
    United game at lunchtime.
    Liverpool game at 3.
    Chelsea game in the afternoon.
    Revision in the evening.
    MOTD late on.

I was recently informed that I'm now spending the day at my grandparents' house where they are devoid of almost any form of technology.
    Fantastic.
    Inform the family that you're busy.

ReputationRep:
    Happy new year guys!

Hopefully we can start of the year with the new year with a win

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.