Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Common side effect of medical genetics.

I swear in FunMed I slept through more genetics lectures than I was awake in.. and even then I wasn't exactly attentive :erm:

Medicine would be awesome if you removed all the work
    Without a doubt. :yep:

(Original post by Lantana)
    Is it bad that I actually enjoy genetics...
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Mate, I genuinely think GP is my calling. I started off wanting to go into Neuro, did Neuro in year 2 and hated it, so that was then scrapped. Then I was sure it was O&G, but the stressful nature of the job and fear of litigation scares me. That, and everyone will just think I'm "following daddy's footsteps" if I did do that. :/ Then I thought Anaesthesia or Emegency Med, and this really hasn't been repressed just yet, but this BSc is really making me consider becoming a GP with a special interest, most probably with something to do with teaching/education. I actually don't know what I want to do (which I suppose isn't that strange a predicament). That said, I am almost certain that I DON'T want to do Psych - it is very emotionally draining according to my sister. She does have good hours though.

I wonder when med students decide what speciality they want to go into. I suppose there's no real rush to do so until final year/F1, but surely you could start looking into your potential speciality choice now, or am I beginning to sound like a gunner? :p:
    GP is daddies footsteps for me. Mummies too...
    I don't know for certain what I want to do though. Other than it will take something miraculous to make me a surgeon
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    :eek:
    Well there are some odd people on here who enjoy metabolism :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    True but the fines cap at a low point. Would make you an epic douchebag
    Plus people never seem to hold books. I have had a textbook there is only one copy of at central for 2 months (not read) an no one has bothered to put it on hold...

Oh I hate gunners. It is so satisfying when you beat them and then they think you are mad for wanting to be a GP.

It is a terrible thing to do but I believe in Karma thankfully no one here is that competitive.

But the books here get taken awfully fast when a lecturer recommends it/on reading list or you need it for an SSC. I'd never even known where the section for all the meta-analyses/systematic reviews was in the clinical library... but come SSC essay time, it was super busy! Only managed to get the ones I needed 4 days before essay had to be in because so many people had put holds on them.

Out of curiosity when do you do your GP rotation? (I did mine in 3rd year but think it should be one of the senior blocks as it nicely brings together everything you've learnt over the course of 5 years and it's pretty much OSCE revision ).

ReputationRep:
    I do too... my iBSc is in medical genetics (to be honest I was attracted by the cardiac damage element of it as I'm interested in cardiology) but after sitting in clinics with supervisor - its amazing how one genetic mutation, if you think about how small a piece of chromosome is - and one tiny tiny part of that is mutated but it can manifest itself in patients so explicitly.

ReputationRep:
    Having surgery over christmas sucks. I am in pain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    It is a terrible thing to do but I believe in Karma thankfully no one here is that competitive.

But the books here get taken awfully fast when a lecturer recommends it/on reading list or you need it for an SSC. I'd never even known where the section for all the meta-analyses/systematic reviews was in the clinical library... but come SSC essay time, it was super busy! Only managed to get the ones I needed 4 days before essay had to be in because so many people had put holds on them.

Out of curiosity when do you do your GP rotation? (I did mine in 3rd year but think it should be one of the senior blocks as it nicely brings together everything you've learnt over the course of 5 years and it's pretty much OSCE revision ).
    I don't know. Although apparently it is posisble to go to a GP anywhere that will take you (I know someone who went home to NI to do it) if possible I might try and wing one in cornwall...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen this gunner song? It has made my day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ1xt...eature=related
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rumandraisin)
    Anyone seen this gunner song? It has made my day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ1xt...eature=related
    Haha!

The Normal person side to this video more closely describes what im like.

I tried to spend a day being productive so i could finish my SSC before Xmas, but no i wrote 100 words then spend the next 4 hours watching xmas films. FML

ReputationRep:
    I've been having nightmares where I fail all of my January modules, then in a meeting with the Dean it is discovered that I received the wrong marks for year 1 and I actually failed that too. So I get kicked out.

ReputationRep:
    Genetics is awesome! Although a friend of mine is doing her ibsc in it and she spends most of her time cutting up flies... :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I've been having nightmares where I fail all of my January modules, then in a meeting with the Dean it is discovered that I received the wrong marks for year 1 and I actually failed that too. So I get kicked out.
    Time to get laid. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You think I don't know that!?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    +1

Though is there really a time to not get laid?

ReputationRep:
    +1

I might try to avoid if I'm having projectile vomit and/or diarrhoea.

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to swallow my pride and ask my housemate's girlfriend to set me up with someone when I go back to uni.

ReputationRep:
    +1

(Original post by SMed)
    I might try to avoid if I'm having projectile vomit and/or diarrhoea.
    Not even that would stop him...trust me
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    @SMed: don't blame you man

@moist: shut up you. I have not chundered whilst having sex...
    Yet

In the wise words of thelonelyislands, still counts had sex

Better than you're doing
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    So talking about something more genteel...

(Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    its amazing how one genetic mutation, if you think about how small a piece of chromosome is - and one tiny tiny part of that is mutated but it can manifest itself in patients so explicitly.
    And how we get ever deeper into the genome and then discover a new layer of complexity like miRNA's.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever likes genetics or metabolism is doing it all wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.