Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    We complain that players like RVP leave but I think we're the stupid ones. Why should they stay and hold onto Wenger's hands? Wilshere and Koscielny should look to move on if Wenger stays and this season is another waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've seen the light although it's not the right time for wilshere to go if it was another mediocre season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I don't want him to get a new contract but he obviously will

Lets not be stupid, no matter who we buy we will still be fourth favourites for the title rightly so because the others are better that is just reality, you cannot sack a manager for not reaching a unlikely target tbh. Its stupid to base someones future on finishing higher than teams which are already far better and have far greater financial muscle.

As long as he gets fourth next season he will certainly be offered a new contract.
    Favourites for fourth? On history or on merit? It took a splendid run and a mighty collapse from Tottenham for us to get 4th last season.

Just realised how sad it is of us to have a title 'favourites for fourth'. Shows how low things have become.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I don't want him to get a new contract but he obviously will

Lets not be stupid, no matter who we buy we will still be fourth favourites for the title rightly so because the others are better that is just reality, you cannot sack a manager for not reaching a unlikely target tbh. Its stupid to base someones future on finishing higher than teams which are already far better and have far greater financial muscle.

As long as he gets fourth next season he will certainly be offered a new contract.
    I've noted all of that in a previous post just above but it doesn't mean we can't offer a new sense of direction in the form of a new man at the helm. History shows clubs who stall usual go downwards simply because other teams will get more hungry. Spurs for one will get more eager as they see us stalling and should they pounce, get a major backer (there could be plenty of wealthy owners who want them after they get back into top 4) we could be done for for 5-10 years.

It's getting to the point where Wenger's taken the club as far as he can. We need someone with more hunger if this man isn't prepared to change things.

Like I said, we may regret it but we're a laughing stock atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Not too much we can do about the board tbh. Other than protest.

As for Wenger, his position isn't too secure atm tbh. So that's why I'm hoping he'll spend, but in his head he may already be planning for PSG if his current crop can't deliver, which they won't without some additions.

Really wish Usmanov could do more. He seems to care about the club a hell of a lot more than Stan
    There's nothing we can do that'll make a difference, though I hear protests are planned for this season.

I don't think Wenger is thinking PSG - he doesn't seem the sort of guy who'll do that. But then again, we don't know what's happening behind the scenes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    There's nothing we can do that'll make a difference, though I hear protests are planned for this season.

I don't think Wenger is thinking PSG - he doesn't seem the sort of guy who'll do that. But then again, we don't know what's happening behind the scenes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe not thinking, but the way the club's going and the fact that he would have fulfilled his contract come 11 months time suggests to me he may be off. He's always maintained how he sticks and honours contracts and maybe he'll want something different.

I don't know really. I get your feeling though. If, and this is a big if, this Gustavo thing really is true, it illustrates the clubs decline. 10 years ago, he wouldn't have thought twice about Arsenal over Wolfsburg.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you finish above your rival for the last Champions League spot come the end of the season, is that not done on merit? It's inherent in league based competition. And I don't think the likes of Spuds and Liverpool would consider fourth to be a lowly achievement, to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    Well, if you finish above your rival for the last Champions League spot come the end of the season, is that not done on merit? It's inherent in league based competition. And I don't think the likes of Spuds and Liverpool would consider fourth to be a lowly achievement, to be fair.
    If they have finished fourth for god knows how long isn't it time to aim slightly higher?

Why be happy with constantly finishing the same place why not try progress to the next level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    I've noted all of that in a previous post just above but it doesn't mean we can't offer a new sense of direction in the form of a new man at the helm. History shows clubs who stall usual go downwards simply because other teams will get more hungry. Spurs for one will get more eager as they see us stalling and should they pounce, get a major backer (which wouldn't be hard considering their strong Jewish following, there could be plenty of wealthy owners who want them after they get back into top 4) we could be done for for 5-10 years.

It's getting to the point where Wenger's taken the club as far as he can. We need someone with more hunger if this man isn't prepared to change things.

Like I said, we may regret it but we're a laughing stock atm.
    You should probably remove the bit in bold.

And a laughing stock? Calm down, mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    If they have finished fourth for god knows how long isn't it time to aim slightly higher?

Why be happy with constantly finishing the same place why not try progress to the next level?
    Well, I'm not unhappy with constantly finishing fourth, put it that way.

Don't get me wrong, of course I want to see us do better than “just” fourth, like every other Arsenal fan, but I'm not one for believing that it's something to be ashamed of, to be viewed as a colossal failure, as some seem to think.

And do you genuinely believe that Wenger, and everyone involved at the club, sit together at the start of the season and say to each other, “Right, fourth again, then, lads.”? Because that's what you seem to be suggesting.

ReputationRep:
    A good read on the Gustavo situation:

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/t...efuse-to-pay-a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    A good read on the Gustavo situation:

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/t...efuse-to-pay-a
    Lol if we are being tight and won't go up to €20, that is silly, everyone knows we desperate, sign someone please. 17mil for a good player in the position we need, we haven't replaced song, this could be the replacement.

Still pessimistic this whole transfer market has being just a journalist dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    You should probably remove the bit in bold.

And a laughing stock? Calm down, mate.
    True and done, needless comment.

You don't agree. Think about it from City, Chelsea, United, Spurs fans' perspective. We're a team with no direction, nothing is changing and we're drifting.

We've sold all our best players and now there's next to no one to sell (with the exception of Kosc). We're a team who have gone from the pinnicle of English football to a team that battles for 4th each year. I don't know a team in history who have done this. Even Valencia during the decade dominance of Real and Barca have tried to compete and it came with repercussions financially for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    Lol if we are being tight and won't go up to €20, that is silly, everyone knows we desperate, sign someone please. 17mil for a good player in the position we need, we haven't replaced song, this could be the replacement.

Still pessimistic this whole transfer market has being just a journalist dream.
    I thought a bid was made for around £17 million so I think the original story from the German paper is made up. Gustavo won't reveal where his gonna go until the end of the International games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    I thought a bid was made for around £17 million so I think the original story from the German paper is made up. Gustavo won't reveal where his gonna go until the end of the International games.
    I suspect a bidding war will enrage for Gustavo tbh. Especially after his agent said he didn't have a release clause.

I think clubs will quite happily pay £25m (30m euros) for him.

ReputationRep:
    Wow england are crap as usual. The only reason I watch this **** is to check wilshere doesn't get injured

ReputationRep:
    Positive news wilshere best player on the pitch

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not hard when you've got cleverly and welbeck lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has any time, this was quite interesting to watch http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...roud-interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wazza

ReputationRep:
    Rooney has had quite a few heavy touches now. Has he lost it? Hmm.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.