Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Societies are usually fairly cheap - I agree with your therapist.

You can either:

- Join a big society (e.g. RockSoc / Your Course Society / LGBT / Quidditch Society / etc). This way, you have plenty of ops for making friends, but can slip away easily.
    - Join a small society (e.g. Ten Pin Bowling / Fencing / etc). This way, you are less likely to be left out, the whole group is one friend group, but you are more likely to be noticed if you don't turn up (and may get messaged asking why / etc).
    i think the small ones sound better in terms of long lasting relationships. though some of the societies that align with what i want to do vary in price from a quid to £60 + £3 per session. e.g. i think swimming is £20. sci fi/anime is cheap but they only have anime once a week, the rest of their activities arent that interesting

i went to a social with phys soc in first year, but it was like everyone already knew each over and i was the 200th wheel :lolwut:

that said, ill just have to tough it out and dish out the moolah

ReputationRep:
    You should take one apart some time!
    I may just do that :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    i think the small ones sound better in terms of long lasting relationships. though some of the societies that align with what i want to do vary in price from a quid to £60 + £3 per session. e.g. i think swimming is £20. sci fi/anime is cheap but they only have anime once a week, the rest of their activities arent that interesting

i went to a social with phys soc in first year, but it was like everyone already knew each over and i was the 200th wheel :lolwut:

that said, ill just have to tough it out and dish out the moolah
    Small ones are usually better in longer friendships, I agree.

Your location is Nottingham - am I am right in remembering you are at UoN? If so, you are right that a lot of the sports societies need sports centre membership annoyingly.

A lot of societies have free activities in the first week or so, so you could always go along to some, and see how well you get on.

You could go to Sci Fi/Anime weekly for anime maybe, and then find another society with also does 1/2 things a week. After all, you need time for that annoying thing called studying as well

(Original post by PonchoKid)
    I may just do that :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its good fun - although I am sure Rory would appreciate it if you put it back together after

ReputationRep:
    Its good fun - although I am sure Rory would appreciate it if you put it back together after
    CHEDDAR MAN needs no assistance!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hey not sure if this is the right place to ask but my girlfriend is on Sertraline, 100 mg. Her dosage went up from 50 mg today. Shes currently in a lot of pain, sore throat pain in her back. It's really bad. Are these normal side effects or something more serious?

ReputationRep:
    I feel so lost right now, there are so many things in my life that are holding me down or bringing me down, my anxiety, my aspergers, my depression, my dyspraxia, my ear and now these blood tests on Thursday where I may well have something else wrong with me, on top of that I have no money most of the time, no job prospects at all without first dealing with everything else, no friends I can talk to yet alone hang out with, that's my own fault I guess but even when I do message people on Facebook they just stop replying after a while and it never gets to the point of arranging to meet up anymore, heck saying this I don't even know I would be well enough to meet up with people right now, gah, it's all so confusing and I just feel like there are all these obstacles between my life right now and the life I want, the only things that are stopping me from falling apart completely right now are my mum and my girlfriend who are both amazing to me, really don't know how I have either of them and I am sure as hell I don't deserve them, but they stick by me no matter how bad things are, that amazes me that they can find it in themselves to do that, I feel like I could be so much better to and for both of them as well that just makes me feel so guilty, like I really ain't worthy of having them there to keep me afloat.

I just don't know what to do really, I feel like my life over the last 18 months or so has just become some kind of thing that happens and that I barely stumble through each day, so much of it has just passed me by altogether I think and even more of that time just seems to have been so empty, I feel empty as well, just like that black hole inside of me is back and sucking away all those good thoughts I manage to find, and I know if ever my mum/girlfriend/both aren't there to replenish those good thoughts, I may well end up being sucked inside that darkness for ever

sorry if any of this makes no sense or is upsetting, took me ages to manage to get this typed out and I feel kinda disoriented having done so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Hey not sure if this is the right place to ask but my girlfriend is on Sertraline, 100 mg. Her dosage went up from 50 mg today. Shes currently in a lot of pain, sore throat pain in her back. It's really bad. Are these normal side effects or something more serious?
    Hey.

I'd say best call NHS Direct/24. They'll be able to tell best if it's a side-effect or not. If they don't think it's urgent, make an appointment with her GP in the morning and see if she should continue taking her meds. If none of this help is available, just use common sense (I kept on taking meds longer than I ought to have because I just thought 'it's good for me' when really I should've realised to stop).

In the meantime just be supportive, give her some herbal tea with honey if you have it, and I hope she feels better soon!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Hey.

I'd say best call NHS Direct/24. They'll be able to tell best if it's a side-effect or not. If they don't think it's urgent, make an appointment with her GP in the morning and see if she should continue taking her meds. If none of this help is available, just use common sense (I kept on taking meds longer than I ought to have because I just thought 'it's good for me' when really I should've realised to stop).

In the meantime just be supportive, give her some herbal tea with honey if you have it, and I hope she feels better soon!
    Will do thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    I feel so lost right now, there are so many things in my life that are holding me down or bringing me down, my anxiety, my aspergers, my depression, my dyspraxia, my ear and now these blood tests on Thursday where I may well have something else wrong with me, on top of that I have no money most of the time, no job prospects at all without first dealing with everything else, no friends I can talk to yet alone hang out with, that's my own fault I guess but even when I do message people on Facebook they just stop replying after a while and it never gets to the point of arranging to meet up anymore, heck saying this I don't even know I would be well enough to meet up with people right now, gah, it's all so confusing and I just feel like there are all these obstacles between my life right now and the life I want, the only things that are stopping me from falling apart completely right now are my mum and my girlfriend who are both amazing to me, really don't know how I have either of them and I am sure as hell I don't deserve them, but they stick by me no matter how bad things are, that amazes me that they can find it in themselves to do that, I feel like I could be so much better to and for both of them as well that just makes me feel so guilty, like I really ain't worthy of having them there to keep me afloat.

I just don't know what to do really, I feel like my life over the last 18 months or so has just become some kind of thing that happens and that I barely stumble through each day, so much of it has just passed me by altogether I think and even more of that time just seems to have been so empty, I feel empty as well, just like that black hole inside of me is back and sucking away all those good thoughts I manage to find, and I know if ever my mum/girlfriend/both aren't there to replenish those good thoughts, I may well end up being sucked inside that darkness for ever

sorry if any of this makes no sense or is upsetting, took me ages to manage to get this typed out and I feel kinda disoriented having done so.
    Rory this is kind of a stopgap answer cos I'm a little drunk, but I will answer properly later and in the meantime remember you are awesome! You are way better than those ****ty people who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves, you're better than any health conditions you may suffer from, and you're better than that emptiness too. :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    That was only 1 night though and it was the strongest dose of that pill... There bloody amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Either way I'd like to avoid them :yep:

I ALWaYS wondered why rorys lanzoprosole rattled!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am lucky, that unlike paracetamol capsules (which are a fine white powder), the lanzoprole is made up of white little balls (about a millimetre big), so I am able to capture them and put most of the ones that escape back!

This is the only time I got the dissoluble ones, no idea why I got given them. Agomelatine is the same - tastes of nothing. Not on any pills which taste bad currently luckily.
    OMG WOW! That sounds amazing fun, yes I can definitely see why you want to take them apart.

Has anyone ever had pills that tasted of marmite? Weirdest thing ever...
    Heh, what drug is that?

I'm not sure if marmite would be preferable to what my benztropine tastes of. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Heh, what drug is that?

I'm not sure if marmite would be preferable to what my benztropine tastes of. :beard:
    Vitamins I think... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Rediculous amount of tears tonight but still feel like my brain may implode

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just convert your stress in something you find pleasureable, like I try to convert pain to pleasure by thinking of something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avhhs)
    Dunno really. Most of them are second years that already know each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm.. still think they could have made you feel more welcome :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I feel really lost this afternoon. I want to stay in but I want to go out. I want a project to work on but I can't get the bloodyesewing machine to work. I need company. Feel like a wreck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HmMusic)
    I feel really lost this afternoon. I want to stay in but I want to go out. I want a project to work on but I can't get the bloodyesewing machine to work. I need company. Feel like a wreck.
    This would be a bit of hassle, but you could take the sewing machine to a repair shop and ask them to figure it out for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDukem)
    Did you do it? Don't worry if you didn't! I hope you managed all right :yep:
    That's sooo lovely of them I wish I had people like that haha.
    I did in the end through watching David Mitchell videos :giggle: I'm feeling much brighter today
    N'aww that's nice to hear!! Did you have fun? It's good to see friends fairly often as they can help bring people out of their shells for a little while
    I'm doing great actually!! There's a new girl in our group and we get on pretty well (she has a boyfriend) and *touchwood*, i'm talking to people more often
    How are you hun? :grin:

:hugs:
    Sorry I didn't reply- last night was a bad night. :hugs:
    They are amazing. Very, very lucky to have people who are so understanding. :yes:
    Oooh good! Glad you're feeling brighter. :hugs:
    It was good- it was really nice to have a catch up with her- we haven't had a proper chat in ages. Makes life feel a bit more normal as well- it's a really good distraction.
    Aw good! It's always great to find new people!
    I'm not so good- had a massive argument with mum and now I cant stop crying.
    How are you? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Rory this is kind of a stopgap answer cos I'm a little drunk, but I will answer properly later and in the meantime remember you are awesome! You are way better than those ****ty people who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves, you're better than any health conditions you may suffer from, and you're better than that emptiness too. :jumphug:
    Thank you for this, I read it out to him while I was in tears, and your kind words made me cry more!
    Your so good to Rory

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha96)
    Sorry I didn't reply- last night was a bad night. :hugs:
    They are amazing. Very, very lucky to have people who are so understanding. :yes:
    Oooh good! Glad you're feeling brighter. :hugs:
    It was good- it was really nice to have a catch up with her- we haven't had a proper chat in ages. Makes life feel a bit more normal as well- it's a really good distraction.
    Aw good! It's always great to find new people!
    I'm not so good- had a massive argument with mum and now I cant stop crying.
    How are you? :hugs:
    It's all right!! I hope tonight won't be bad for you :hugs:
    Anyone who is understanding is far above okay in my books!! It's a rarity these days
    Yeah i'm feeling quite happy in all honesty I hope it lasts for a while
    Aww i'm happy for you Hopefully it's the first of many on the horizon? :grin: Distractions are pretty darn good from time to time :yep:
    I like meeting new people, depends on my mood on whether I make good or bad first impressions though
    Awwww i'm sorry to hear that :hugs: :hugs: I hope it gets resolved soon :jumphug:
    I'm doing great, I hope you get better soon!!

:hugs: :hugs:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.