Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When people are saying that Dahoud is great and would really like to have him; have they ever seen him play a full match and in all honesty had they actually heard of him until the rumours linking him this summer?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's not too difficult to watch Man City in the Champions League nowadays actually. People who are wondering about the credibility of people saying Dahoud is great; have you got anything better to do than question internet forum posters on which footballers they like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weston Road)
    Yeah, it's not too difficult to watch Man City in the Champions League nowadays actually. People who are wondering about the credibility of people saying Dahoud is great; have you got anything better to do than question internet forum posters on which footballers they like?
    Wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just don't know where he has sprang from considering I had literally never heard his name spoken by a commentator/podcast or written by a journalist/commenter/poster until the season ended.

He seems to have come from nowhere and it's decided that he's now worth over £45,000,000. It's just odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    Wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just don't know where he has sprang from considering I had literally never heard his name spoken by a commentator/podcast or written by a journalist/commenter/poster until the season ended.

He seems to have come from nowhere and it's decided that he's now worth over £45,000,000. It's just odd.
    We were linked with him in April or maybe March by Hunter. I'd seen him play against City before, didn't really cross my mind until Hunter (or maybe Barrett) linked us to him.

He is a bit 'out of the blue' but so is Alli or Rashford for any non-PL watcher, and I don't think anybody would raise eyebrows at a £30m pricetag on Alli. With some players their quality is just so evident that you'd back a reasonably big bid even after just one season, at a young age. £45m is entering the territory where we couldn't really go, but I'd back a £30m bid and I think £25m+ is the market price for someone of his current and potential ability, when you look at the fees for Martial, Sterling, Renato Sanches and co.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It didn't cross your mind before, but he's "utter class" as soon as he's linked with Liverpool?

Seems legit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigWillow)
    Yes you do make some very good points, I am slightly more optimistic now! However, I hope the squad performs well on there own, without as it seemed towards the end the season carried by the atmosphere and by the enthusiasm of Klopp. If that happens and we begin well, I can see us doing very well this year.
    Lets just hope the recruitment is good this year in comparison to the dross we have seen in seasons gone by. Also kind of gutted im going uni this year so won't be able to go to as many matches as I'd like to, but still up the reds!
    Can you ever imagine an unenthusiastic Klopp? I'm more worried about him having a stroke! I expect Klopp's narrative about the players needing to rile up the crowd and that the fans need to vocally support the players will continue throughout his tenure. I can't remember the last great summer transfer we had.. Maybe as far back as 07/08 when we signed Torres? Last summer was good other than the huge mark that is Benteke..

We had that January where we signed Sturridge and Coutinho. Tbh we haven't been great in transfers for years now.

(Original post by Weston Road)
    Mane is a real link according to Joyce. I'd be happy with him coming in. Takes an absurd number of shots in the penalty area, presses really well, and is a great direct dribbler. Still room for another attacker of sufficient quality (ie Gotze) but I'd be fine with Mane as our new wide option.

Hopefully the Dahoud link still has legs. He's utter class and much more refined than Zielinski. After that, we need a left back, and then we're good to go. Chilwell is the only active link but hopefully Klopp just goes for the obvious in Hector.
    I guess my only concerns with Mane are - will Southampton rip us off again? Can Mane become consistent? Perhaps this season blip was just due to having his head turned in January?

You don't think we need a CM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It didn't cross your mind before, but he's "utter class" as soon as he's linked with Liverpool?

Seems legit.
    Isn't that the same with every team though to be fair? The same way that players are terrible as soon as they don't join your club

What's the point focusing on the negatives of a potential player?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Isn't that the same with every team though to be fair? The same way that players are terrible as soon as they don't join your club

What's the point focusing on the negatives of a potential player?
    Yeh everyone becomes an expert.

My favourite one is when Ashley Fletcher (one of our kids on loan) scored for Barnsley yesterday and United Twitter was full of "i've watched Barnsley extensively this season, and this kid will be world class"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

My favourite one is when Ashley Fletcher (one of our kids on loan) scored for Barnsley yesterday and United Twitter was full of "i've watched Barnsley extensively this season, and this kid will be world class"
    All I do is watch a few YouTube videos even though I know those are handpicked "best bits" and may not represent their consistent output.
    It just comes with being a fan I guess!

Well luckily for you, half of my family support Barnsley so I have watched them quite a bit this season
    Fletcher is a bright young talent and he's scored some important goals but equally he needs to be a bit more consistent with his chances.
    He's almost afraid to go on his left foot and it can be a major problem.

In the play-off final, although he scored a good goal he also wasted a ridiculously good opportunity.
    He was absolutely MILES ahead of the defenders, through on goal but towards the right corner of the penalty area. For some reason he went on his right foot and narrowed the angle way too much, wasting the chance. Go on your left foot there and it's a tap in.

People should've been watching Barnsley more this season anyway! Only League One but were bottom at Xmas and somehow managed to get promoted. Aside from Leicester that's the most shocking thing to happen this season...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

I'd never heard of him before yesterday :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Seems legit.
    Don't forget that the said player becomes **** as soon as he moves to another club/stays at his current club

ReputationRep:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...fuses-11402180

Jesus Christ, this is gonna go on all summer isn't it?

I still maintain 0 optimism - if he's gonna move to the PL he might as well go to Spurs tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Don't forget that the said player becomes **** as soon as he moves to another club/stays at his current club
    That or "we were never in for him anyway".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...fuses-11402180

Jesus Christ, this is gonna go on all summer isn't it?

I still maintain 0 optimism - if he's gonna move to the PL he might as well go to Spurs tbh.
    Hopefully we won't hear much during the tournament now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Hopefully we won't hear much during the tournament now..
    We can only hope...

We've already sorted GK and CB, so I'm more concerned about us bringing in a LB and CM than rumour talk about Götze.

If we have money left over and we get him? Great.
    However we don't majorly need to improve our CAM positions so it's not a problem if we don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    We can only hope...

We've already sorted GK and CB, so I'm more concerned about us bringing in a LB and CM than rumour talk about Götze.

However we don't majorly need to improve our CAM positions so it's not a problem if we don't.
    Yea Klopp has a few decisions to make on the backline:

GK - sorted with the purchase of Karius
    CB - Sakho looks like he won't be banned and we've got Matip coming in already. Klopp needs to decide who will be 4th choice (currently have Toure, Lucas, Gomez and Ilori as candidates but wouldn't be surprised if we buy another)
    RB - Clyne nailed on but to decide if Flanagan and/or Gomez are good enough to be back up. Probably are with no Europe..
    LB - another LB to compete with Moreno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Depends on whether we can keep hold of Coutinho or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Depends on whether we can keep hold of Coutinho or not.
    He's on a pretty long term contract and I don't think he does the magical consistently enough for a big club to actively make a huge bid for him. We won't sell him for any less than we did Sterling and Man City only made that bid because they are desperate for decent HG players.

ReputationRep:
    Sturridge, Clyne, Milner, Lallana and Henderson all called up for England, let's pray for their fitness guys especially Sturridge,

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably take about £30mil for Coutinho tbh, I don't think he's improved enough over the last couple of seasons to suggest he's going to get much better than he is now.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.