Depression Society MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
jonathan122
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
My department does, but the department I'm wanting to transfer into doesn't. Thing is the head of department was all "you need a 2:1 as we have an obligation to our other students that you won't drag them down in seminars etc" sort of thing so I don't think they'd be happy about allowing lee-way. Especially if I can't cope now I probably won't cope next september either anyway.
How are you? Thanks for the hugs
To be honest, it's not really a question of them being happy about allowing lee-way - they're legally obliged to. You count as a disabled student, and they have a duty to ensure that they don't discriminate against you because of exam results which would have been higher if you'd been in good health. Have you talked to the disability office at uni? Most are really good about these sorts of things.

I'm not all that good at the moment - same old, same old.

:hugs:
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonathan122)
To be honest, it's not really a question of them being happy about allowing lee-way - they're legally obliged to. You count as a disabled student, and they have a duty to ensure that they don't discriminate against you because of exam results which would have been higher if you'd been in good health. Have you talked to the disability office at uni? Most are really good about these sorts of things.

I'm not all that good at the moment - same old, same old.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure how to explain; like if I don't get it I don't feel good enough to be there, I have to earn a place - I don't want them to make special considerations I just want to be able to get on with the work and pass on my own. I probably sound stupid for saying that because that's not how it is :redface: things are as they are and I can't change it doesn't matter what I want.

I have spoken the the disability office they were trying to get me extra time etc which is helpful and hopefully I won't feel so stressed in exams.

If you want to talk about anything I'll be around a while. :hugs: Sorry to hear stuff isn't going well for you either.
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure how to explain; like if I don't get it I don't feel good enough to be there, I have to earn a place - I don't want them to make special considerations I just want to be able to get on with the work and pass on my own. I probably sound stupid for saying that because that's not how it is :redface: things are as they are and I can't change it doesn't matter what I want.

I have spoken the the disability office they were trying to get me extra time etc which is helpful and hopefully I won't feel so stressed in exams.

If you want to talk about anything I'll be around a while. :hugs: Sorry to hear stuff isn't going well for you either.
I do know what you mean, but you need to realise that the reason this help is available is not to give disabled students an advantage, but to make sure that they're not at a disadvantage. It's all a matter of knowing your rights. I agree, you don't want them to just give you a place because they feel sorry for you, or anything like that, but I really don't think that they'd do that. I suspect what would happen is that they'd still require you to get a 2:1 to be guaranteed a place, but, for example, if you were to miss that by a couple of marks, or were to have an off-day on one paper, say, then they would take that into account to determine whether you've earned that place or not.

I'm really glad you're in touch with the disability office, i've heard they're really good at warwick. :hugs:
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do know what you mean, but you need to realise that the reason this help is available is not to give disabled students an advantage, but to make sure that they're not at a disadvantage. It's all a matter of knowing your rights. I agree, you don't want them to just give you a place because they feel sorry for you, or anything like that, but I really don't think that they'd do that. I suspect what would happen is that they'd still require you to get a 2:1 to be guaranteed a place, but, for example, if you were to miss that by a couple of marks, or were to have an off-day on one paper, say, then they would take that into account to determine whether you've earned that place or not.

I'm really glad you're in touch with the disability office, i've heard they're really good at warwick. :hugs:
I see. Do you think it's worth mentioning that to the disability office before exams or just wait and see how I do first?

Thanks for your help btw you've cheered me up quite a bit.
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I see. Do you think it's worth mentioning that to the disability office before exams or just wait and see how I do first?

Thanks for your help btw you've cheered me up quite a bit.
I think it's worth mentioning it to them and to see what they advise. To be honest there shouldn't be a problem either way, but at least it would give you a bit of peace of mind.

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. :hugs:
Elements
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Hey, no I don't think that you sound stupid at all; that is exactly how I feel about wanting to change course and get on through this year etc.:five: And I don't feel stupid about thinking it at all :no: ; in fact I think that we're both (potential) geniuses, with the problem being that nobody else knows that yet too because of all the hardships and health problems standing in our way, blocking the light.

Although I know that the course that I want to change to wont make allowances for me as far as pity goes for being this ill- but then again receiving pity absolutely stinks :yucky: and feels morally degrading.

What course is it that you want to change from and to?:hugs:

On a slightly different note about exams: does anyone else feel as thought they cannot physically make it into exams even if they really want to do the exam :redface: :eek: , because they find the structure, atmosphere and all the rows of other people intimidating? Like you feel as if you'e going to throw up everywhere, start violently shaking and almost faint at the end of it all? Or is that just me?

Sorry this is probably the wrong place for it and what the hell it is.:woo: :redface:
QuantumTheory
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elements)
On a slightly different note about exams: does anyone else feel as thought they cannot physically make it into exams even if they really want to do the exam :redface: :eek: , because they find the structure, atmosphere and all the rows of other people intimidating? Like you feel as if you'e going to throw up everywhere, start violently shaking and almost faint at the end of it all? Or is that just me?
Yeah, exactly. So I got a doctor's note and get my own little room to do exams in, where I can take as many breaks as I want, get up and walk around, and it's a lot better than having a massive panic attack in front of 300 people.
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by QuantumTheory)
Yeah, exactly. So I got a doctor's note and get my own little room to do exams in, where I can take as many breaks as I want, get up and walk around, and it's a lot better than having a massive panic attack in front of 300 people.
Really- that sounds alot better; not freaky at all! What did you say to the doctor or have the doctor write on the note? I was wondering whether it was to do with my social anxiety, well sociophobia actually, as well as generally high anxiety, and stage fright? Does your department mind doing that for you- cos I'm worried that mine might think that I'm really silly. :redface: You still have someone in there to supervise you don't you? Is that just for computer exams or the mummie of all shockers- written exams?:woo:

Thank-you for replying straight away and giving me some hope.:hugs: A little green present coming your way. :yes:
QuantumTheory
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Really- that sounds alot better; not freaky at all! What did you say to the doctor or have the doctor write on the note? I was wondering whether it was to do with my social anxiety, well sociophobia actually, as well as generally high anxiety, and stage fright? Does your department mind doing that for you- cos I'm worried that mine might think that I'm really silly. :redface: You still have someone in there to supervise you don't you? Is that just for computer exams or the mummie of all shockers- written exams?:woo:

Thank-you for replying straight away and giving me some hope.:hugs: A little green present coming your way. :yes:
Aww thank you
Does your doctor know what's going on?
Mine just wrote something to the exams office basically saying 'Jess has X and thus would do better to take exams on her own.'
They've been really good about it, I just go off to a different room on the day. Yeah, there's an invigilator there, but they're made aware of why I have my own room, so they're more lax when it comes to me going outside for a bit of whatever. Yep, they do it for written exams (I'm an A level student) but all the universities I've spoken to have been great about it and said it'll be fine

Best of luck. Literally, before, my exams were hell on earth, and now I'm a lot happier about them :hugs:
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by QuantumTheory)
Aww thank you
Does your doctor know what's going on?
Mine just wrote something to the exams office basically saying 'Jess has X and thus would do better to take exams on her own.'
They've been really good about it, I just go off to a different room on the day. Yeah, there's an invigilator there, but they're made aware of why I have my own room, so they're more lax when it comes to me going outside for a bit of whatever. Yep, they do it for written exams (I'm an A level student) but all the universities I've spoken to have been great about it and said it'll be fine

Best of luck. Literally, before, my exams were hell on earth, and now I'm a lot happier about them :hugs:
My doctor back at home does. Whereas at Uni I don't get to see the same doctor each time or any dr regularly and they keep mucking my stuff up. :mad:

I'm so happy for you. :yes: :hugs:
QuantumTheory
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My doctor back at home does. Whereas at Uni I don't get to see the same doctor each time or any dr regularly and they keep mucking my stuff up. :mad:

I'm so happy for you. :yes: :hugs:
Then get the doctor-from-home to write a letter :cool:
Best wishes,

Jess
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey, no I don't think that you sound stupid at all; that is exactly how I feel about wanting to change course and get on through this year etc.:five: And I don't feel stupid about thinking it at all :no: ; in fact I think that we're both (potential) geniuses, with the problem being that nobody else knows that yet too because of all the hardships and health problems standing in our way, blocking the light.

Although I know that the course that I want to change to wont make allowances for me as far as pity goes for being this ill- but then again receiving pity absolutely stinks :yucky: and feels morally degrading.

What course is it that you want to change from and to?:hugs:

Sorry this is probably the wrong place for it and what the hell it is.:woo: :redface:
Ele, have you spoken to the disability office at your uni at all? They're usually very good at sorting out special exam arrangements. And, reiterating what I said to saber, it's not a question of pity - it's a question of making sure that you are not at a disadvantage academically because of your illness, which is something that they're legally required to do.

Thank you very much for your PM, I'll reply to it shortly.

Best wishes :hugs:
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ele, have you spoken to the disability office at your uni at all? They're usually very good at sorting out special exam arrangements. And, reiterating what I said to saber, it's not a question of pity - it's a question of making sure that you are not at a disadvantage academically because of your illness, which is something that they're legally required to do.

Thank you very much for your PM, I'll reply to it shortly.

Best wishes :hugs:
:flowers:

No, I haven't because I don't classify myself as being disabled and I do not have any learning difficulties either.
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:flowers:

No, I haven't because I don't classify myself as being disabled and I do not have any learning difficulties either.
Fair enough, but in legal / education terms someone with a long-standing serious illness (such as depression) is classified as being eligible for receiving help from university disability services, so that they are not at an unfair disadvantage when it comes to taking exams. It doesn't mean that you have to classify yourself as disabled, or that anyone else will.

Thank you for the flowers. :blushing:
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I feel more depressed than normal today. Not sure why. I've tried doing some work, browsing the net, listening to happy music. Nothing can uplift me ;_;
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm slipping again. Gone to the library to do some work, feeling hopelessly lonely. I was ok earlier. Getting sick of this yoyo-ing.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just popping in to say hi!

I'm doing very well, voluntarily took myself off citalopram- had a few side effects such as anxiety and panic attacks but otherwise i feel like the old me again!

Hope you're all ok

anna
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
I feel more depressed than normal today. Not sure why. I've tried doing some work, browsing the net, listening to happy music. Nothing can uplift me ;_;
:loveduck:

I'm here if you want to talk at all. :hugs:
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
Just popping in to say hi!

I'm doing very well, voluntarily took myself off citalopram- had a few side effects such as anxiety and panic attacks but otherwise i feel like the old me again!

Hope you're all ok

anna
Glad you're doing well anna. :hugs:
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:loveduck:

I'm here if you want to talk at all. :hugs:

Thanks.

I think it's my clinical depression. I'm not medicating it because I hate the drugged-up feeling and side effects of medication. So I'm basically just going it alone
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.2%
No - but I will (41)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.48%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (280)
46.51%

Watched Threads