Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
Boab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
Agreed with Smack, this thread is starting to lose any charm or use, seeing as it's descending into soap box rants and slurs from the cyber-nats.

Like an evolution debate one side is approaching the issue rationally and empirically and the other is appealing to emotion, belief, rhetoric and insult.

I'd query a mod about closing it but at least it keeps the more difficult personalities quarantined from the other debates.
:rolleyes:

You are being rational by deriding the other side of the debate and claiming the high ground? Brilliant!

You are also agreeing with Smack, who is claiming something which any 'rational' person knows simply isn't true.
TheBugle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
He always does in Interviews.

Salmonds approach however is to never answer a question and cry victim when he doesn't get his own way
Clutching at straws :lol:.

(Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
Agreed with Smack, this thread is starting to lose any charm or use, seeing as it's descending into soap box rants and slurs from the cyber-nats.

Like an evolution debate one side is approaching the issue rationally and empirically and the other is appealing to emotion, belief, rhetoric and insult.

I'd query a mod about closing it but at least it keeps the more difficult personalities quarantined from the other debates.
:lol: It's a shame the anti-SNP, anti-Salmond circlejerk is fading away.

:lol: shutting down debate now that you're getting out-argued by people holding opposing views to yours? :lol:
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheBugle)

:lol: shutting down debate now that you're getting out-argued by people holding opposing views to yours? :lol:
How can I be out argued. Nobody from the YeSNP campaign answers questions.

That is with the exception of Boab who has acknowledge that entry into the EU isn't automatic.
1tartanarmy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
An indepenent Scotland will happen. The question is when? Well we can be part of something amazing and vote yes...and remove torie rule,we can vote yes and remove nukes. We can vote yes and let scotlands future be in scotlands hands.

Or you can vote no...and be part of a horrible organisation, an organosation that wants to "rule the world"...that has been degrading for tens of years.

Scotland has a fresh chance. Please join us. Even the biggest Brittish nationalist can join us.

Vote Yes. Vote fresh.
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How can I be out argued.
Possibly by showing where you have lied time and again, and we know as already evidenced that is very very easy to do.
1tartanarmy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Possibly by showing where you have lied time and again, and we know as already evidenced that is very very easy to do.
This is going to happen. Vote yes to get rid of bombs. Vote no to keep the "world ruler" of the uk in charge.

Vote Yes, Vote Fresh, Vote smart!

http://wingsoverscotland.com/
TheBugle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

That is with the exception of Boab who has acknowledge that entry into the EU isn't automatic.
You've already been shown up with regard to the S&P report. Please stop.

What i've noticed from this thread is that all the people who align with yes, are ganged up on by everyone else (usually 4/5 vs 1). The "unionists" like to grind their opponents to submission, asking tedious questions over and over, latching onto any negative story from the press and shooting down anything positive from the Yes folk.

Then they resort to calling everyone a "cyber-nat" because they've failed their grinding effort.

It's tiresome when I'm notified that the thread has moved on, to find out it's all just a bunch of anti-snp, anti-salmond bashing. Thankfully there is only 5 months to go.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

What i've noticed from this thread is that all the people who align with yes, are ganged up on by everyone else (usually 4/5 vs 1). The "unionists" like to grind their opponents to submission, asking tedious questions over and over, latching onto any negative story from the press and shooting down anything positive from the Yes folk.

Then they resort to calling everyone a "cyber-nat" because they've failed their grinding effort.

It's tiresome when I'm notified that the thread has moved on, to find out it's all just a bunch of anti-snp, anti-salmond bashing. Thankfully there is only 5 months to go.
Was that the S&P report that you claimed Scotland would have a AAA rating but didn't actually say it?

There's no hounding on here. YeSNP supporters come on here. Make spurious claims that they can't back up and then disappear to do whatever they do in their spare time.
VladThe1mpaler
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

What answers are you looking for? I know you have asked what SNP's plan b for currency is but no one knows the answer to that except SNP.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Utter nonsense!

Whatever your views on the currency union argument, to say that Better Together will not have been included in the process to make the announcement on the issue is farcical.
Better Together would have been informed ahead of time, I would imagine. But that was entirely a UK Government announcement, albeit at some point run through the two Eds to ensure that Labour agreed.

Better Together does not make government policy. It's a campaigning organisation: it arranges media appearances, puts up adverts, co-ordinates leafleting and canvasses voters.

(Original post by Boab)
Making it up is pointless. It sells my case for Independence, not one little bit. I haven't named any names, but it is certainly more than internal rumblings.

I just thought it was of interest. Would certainly be a hammer blow to the NO side if a Labour MSP were to reveal his intentions.
It would be if it happened. Which it won't. Indeed, if you can even name one who hasn't forthrightly condemned Scottish nationalism, I'd be amazed.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 1tartanarmy)
Great days you can even see the cracks forming in L I Bs posts. I wonder how long you will ignore this surge in support? Whats it going to take before the british nationalists wake up? You should be out there helping your cause because if you don't soon its going to be too late. Better together are imploding this is fantastic. As soon as my exams are over I'll join the yes canvassers and continue this surge.
Um, I've leafleted for BT. Imploding? I can't say I've noticed. They seem to be having a grand time of it. Organised what I'm told was a very nice show this weekend with Eddie Izzard at the Festival Theatre.

There is no paper trail! Read the article...I can imagine darlings face as I type this...he will be given a vote of no confidence before this is over!

People don't even believe the lies on the currency union...keep talking about it if you like it helped the yes vote when it was announced and will continue to do so.
I'm not sure how you think not being able to enter a currency union is going to help the 'yes' campaign. Indeed, I don't think there's any appetite among swing voters for ending up with the Euro or having a separate currency - and that would seem now to be the medium-term objective.

There was 'no paper trail'? What does that even mean? There was an extensive report published by the Treasury and a letter giving advice on the basis of that report sent to the Chancellor.

If you seriously think there would be a currency union, then I'm afraid you're a bit delusional. There is literally no way that it could be any more certain that it won't happen.

door to door canvassing by the yes campaign (who hugely outnumber the no brigade)
Source?
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

You have to admit, there's been some absolute barmy stuff spouted by some of those nationalists on here. I think the SNP voice some extreme and sometimes very peculiar views - but even they wouldn't come out with some of the nonsense that has been put forward on here.
Studentus-anonymous
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

As MatureStudent36 said, there hasn't been any debate to shut down, not that I recall trying to (projecting is a poor vice).

Nor do I feel particularly out-argued, for that opposition has to 1) engage in actual debate and 2) have some valid points to base their stance on.

As said, it's pretty much cybernats barking at anything that isn't chest thumping nationalism, with a lot of delusion and stubborn refusal to take in valid criticism of their points and circle back round to cheap slurs and personal assaults rather than meet said criticisms (and remember the burden of proof is on Yes Scotland) with fact.

Yawn, not very interesting.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 1tartanarmy)
Vote Yes. Vote fresh.
That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Deodorant Marketing Board.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
You do understand what politics is?

Maybe Better Together did have no input at all, maybe. Maybe they are just that stupid in the NO campaign!
Good point, maybe the SNP did have no input into the white paper either, as Bugle once tried to claim.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

By contrast, No voters on here have been called 'traitors to Scotland'. No malicious sentiment attached to these comments I'm sure.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://yesscotland.eu/no

'We are sorry that you don't agree with us that decisions about the future of Scotland are best made by the people who live in Scotland.'

Really winning me over there guys.
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Good point, maybe the SNP did have no input into the white paper either, as Bugle once tried to claim.
I can't speak for others, but you don't have to make things up just because someone else has!
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
http://yesscotland.eu/no

'We are sorry that you don't agree with us that decisions about the future of Scotland are best made by the people who live in Scotland.'

Really winning me over there guys.
Don't need to. You're not really in YES's targets!

MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Boab;47055696]Don't need to. You're not really in YES's targets!

It's just a pity Scotlands Youth don't share Kirstys short sightedness and dsire to screw over our economic future and well being.

I thought the the Yesnp had the youth vote in the bag? Why are they targetting feotuses?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_4940911.html
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads