Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    the problem with welbeck is his movement.

physically and mentally he's there (being at utd for so long has ingrained that winners mentality they undoubtedly have). questions remain on his actual finishing.

his major problem is he just doesn't know how to get into a goal scoring position. its like on FIFA. you have two types of striker:
    1. the GOAT strikers, with high low work rates, and 85+ attacking position, whereby they will find the space, and its simply a matter of your midfield picking them out with good service
    2. the sweaty strikers, with good pace, and poor attacking positions, and non-optimal work rates, whereby they will pick up the ball and run with it, needing to out-pace/ dribble past players to score.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Welbeck will improve, some games on the wing will do him some good. Don't think he'll challenge Giroud consistently though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Welbz is a useful player, we've needed a workhorse for a while. He'll be the wide version of Ramires for us. I can see why SAF trusted him in the big games.

ReputationRep:
    danny welbeck out wide is not the same player as danny welbeck upfront, just seems to lose his head sometimes when played as a lone striker. didnt he normally play upfront with someone else at utd anyway? guess thats something to think about when judging him and I don't think it'll take him long to get used to the lone striker role, he just needs to use his body more and impose himself on players like giroud does so well. his finishing will let him down though and im not sure to what extent that will improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    Agree with AR. Don't get why Arsenal fans rave about Welbeck having huge potential and all this Wenger will develop him nonsense considering SAF tried it for years and failed. The guy has hit his peak, 15 goals a season is max he'll ever get really.
    Major difference between SAF and Wenger is that: Wenger is a coach he enjoys being on the training ground and working with Individual players to develop their game. He personally nurtures talent on the other hand SAF let his coaches staff do the work for him. You'll wouldn't find find him leading sessions that often. Hence that personal relationship of understanding between player and manager was always greater with Wenger. No former player has ever criticized Wenger. Heck they still sing his praises even after stabbing him in the back. Thats because he was so good to his players, he took time to understand them and showed faith when other didn't. I'm not saying SAF didn't have a good understanding with some of his best players but I'm saying with Wenger it was better really.

At Arsenal Welbeck will have the benefit working with a man who understands his game and the weakness in it. I think Wenger can coach Welbeck into scoring 20+ each season tbh. Wenger has spoken about Welbeck in very high regard, like I said before he's Wenger's ideal type of player to coach. I'm positive we'll see improvement in him because of Danny own willingness to improve. The likes of Giroud, Ramsey, Walcott, Bellerin, Monreal and Gibbs all developed leaps and bounds recently, that it just shows Wenger's coaching ability is as sharp as ever.

Welbeck hasn't reached his peak yet

ReputationRep:
    Welbz is a useful squad player and workhorse, does the running and harrying job he's been put on the pitch for. He'll never be a 20+ a season goal scorer though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Our ability to break buses and tight compact defences is getting better by the looks of things, still not perfect as we can be slow to get the ball out of our own half which allows opposition to get back in to position faster but thats because of Coquelins limited distribution skills. He uses that to his advantage though because instead of collecting the ball from our CBs and attempting to distribute (which is what Arteta basically did), he moves out the way completely to create space for Kosc/Mert to get a ball to Cazorla who carries the ball with some mazy dribbles or 1-2s with Ozil. This works well in the most part however if they stick a man on Cazorla and block him from carrying the ball up it basically stops our whole system from working and it means Ozil has to drop deep to collect the ball and thats not where he works best. Basically Coq needs to carry on what he's doing but once the opposition clock on he needs to take more responsibility for the distribution and try the riskier pass from time to time as it will really speed up the build up play and wont allow them to get back in to shape while we're building pressure on.

Not sure what Ramsey was still doing on the wing in that Reading match though, maybe Wenger was hoping Debuchy would overlap more but there was 0 width on that side. When paired with Bellerin though it's a pretty effective tactic, Ramsey has got the required link up play and vision to jolly up that RHS with Bellerin and then make dem moves in to the box that he does so well which pulls the pressure off Bellerin so he can either cut in himself or run to the byline and take a cross. He also helps out defensively and puts pressure on CB/LB to win balls back which is also nice. Debuchy however just wasn't making those moves ahead of Ramsey which was probably down to fitness more than anything tbh, but can still see Bellerin and Ramsey working better while Walcott (if he learns how to run again and hugs the touchline more) and Debuchy being another combination, while I think Welbeck would work well with either.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you'll never, ever, win the PL title with Welbeck as your main striker. Simple as that, he's a back up striker at best, and even then for the reason just mentioned he's not good enough if you had a long term injury to your main striker.

Wenger is not going to coach him into being a top striker because he has none of the attributes of a top striker at heading towards 25. He's not great in the air, first touch is poor, general control is poor, finishing and decision making is poor for the most part. He's 25, not 18.

Ultimately United letting him go was the right decision. With Wilson coming though (goal/min suggest he as capable tbh), Welbeck wasn't filling to role of young talent anymore. He had to progress to challenging for one of the top berths, and he has never even hinted that he is capable of doing what RVP or Rooney have done, which is carry a team from the front with goals.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thoughts on Szczesny or Ospina for the final?

Wenger seems a man of principle, and he likes picking a second goalkeeper in cup matches, which suggests Szczesny will get the nod given his selection on Saturday. That's risky, though.

Fabianski was picked for the final last year, but he was in form and helped get you there via the shoot-out. Szczesny hasn't been so lucky this year - and he was probably at fault for the Reading equaliser. Having got his body over to the ball, he should keep that out with his strength and muscle. His confidence has ebbed away since Southampton away, really. Ospina has such a good record, too.

ReputationRep:
    Welbeck will never, EVER work as a lone striker, as has been proved many times this year. I get the feeling he'd be pretty good in a 2 up front situation, playing the Heskey role as the workhorse who gets little credit but was vital to the team in his prime (yes, just because that **** on youtube may have turned Heskey into a laughing stock doesn't mean he wasn't a damn good 2nd striker in his time, especially in that Heskey Owen front 2 for England). He'll never be above 15+ goals a season, but what worries me is his chances per goal and mins per goal; they're abysmal. As a squad player who'll put in a shift on the wings he's decent, but to say he's a 20+ goal a season striker is laughable. Thank god he isn't our main striker and tbh, in hindsight, I wish taken the risk and signed Remy.

We have 2 options in the summer really, sign a top young striker, or sign a top winger and shift Walcott to 2nd choice striker/ super sub (a role which I think would be perfect for him, I have complete faith that he can become a 20+ goal a season striker again next season)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Thoughts on Szczesny or Ospina for the final?

Wenger seems a man of principle, and he likes picking a second goalkeeper in cup matches, which suggests Szczesny will get the nod given his selection on Saturday. That's risky, though.

Fabianski was picked for the final last year, but he was in form and helped get you there via the shoot-out. Szczesny hasn't been so lucky this year - and he was probably at fault for the Reading equaliser. Having got his body over to the ball, he should keep that out with his strength and muscle. His confidence has ebbed away since Southampton away, really. Ospina has such a good record, too.
    Szs, I don't think Ospina will be available anyway due to international duty as has been stated on here a few pages back. I'd still rather Szs, I don't blame him for the goal, wicked deflection, possibly could have done better but made some very good punches under pressure from crosses and corners and has a much bigger reach with potential penalties

ReputationRep:
    Szczesny deserves to play in the final. He played up to then, it's only fair. Szczesny is one of our hot and cold players, like Giroud. When he is in bad form (Southampton), everyone claims he is a farce, and he should be put down with a bullet between the eyes. When he is in good form (last season), everyone claims he has potential to be world class, and is one of the best keepers in the league.

ReputationRep:
    Szczesnys attitude is just scummy tbh, his arrogance will ruin his career. The smoking thing was up there with the stupidest ****ing things one of our players have done and glad he was dropped for it but he should be playing the final, the blame cant be put solely on him for the goal conceded and was otherwise solid except for his one time mong distribution moment as always. It's all mentality wrt his distribution though, the guy had one of the best distribution acc. last year with a decent avg distribution length but the problem is that when he ****s up, he ****s up bad which is shown by how many errors he makes per game being much higher than most keepers.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on signing Handanovic? He seems like a solid first-choice GK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    No former player has ever criticized Wenger.
    Gervinho did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Gervinho did
    I swear all Gervinho said was "I was miserable because he didn't play me enough and trust my abilities", which is fair enough considering he was **** when he played for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I swear all Gervinho said was "I was miserable because he didn't play me enough and trust my abilities", which is fair enough considering he was **** when he played for us.
    We weren't patient enough with gervinho though and the fans kept getting on his back when he was the only player running with the ball and dribbling. If he worked on his finishing and decision making he could have been a good striker/winger here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Come on you boys fa cup holders !! We are going to wembley

ReputationRep:
    Vermaelen is set to play for Barca today lol

ReputationRep:
    Smalling just became a whole lot more expensive.
    Not that anyone would buy him now tbh

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.