jonathan122
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
:hugs:

Thanks.

I think it's my clinical depression. I'm not medicating it because I hate the drugged-up feeling and side effects of medication. So I'm basically just going it alone
Do you see a counsellor at all?
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonathan122)
Do you see a counsellor at all?
What can they do?

I've seen a few in my time. One even suggested "try scented candles in the bath" :rolleyes: Geee thanks.
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
What can they do?

I've seen a few in my time. One even suggested "try scented candles in the bath" :rolleyes: Geee thanks.
What type of counsellers have you seen? Have you tried CBT at all?

They can help you to draw up strategies to combat negative thought patterns, so that when you do start feeling down, you can pinpoint what's making you feel like that, and either take steps to deal with it, or focus your mind on a more positive thought process. Also, it can help just having someone who you can talk to on a regular basis, without having to keep anything hidden from them.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elements)
Hey, no I don't think that you sound stupid at all; that is exactly how I feel about wanting to change course and get on through this year etc.:five: And I don't feel stupid about thinking it at all :no: ; in fact I think that we're both (potential) geniuses, with the problem being that nobody else knows that yet too because of all the hardships and health problems standing in our way, blocking the light.

Although I know that the course that I want to change to wont make allowances for me as far as pity goes for being this ill- but then again receiving pity absolutely stinks :yucky: and feels morally degrading.

What course is it that you want to change from and to?:hugs:
Hi elements.

Yes! That's exactly it. I'm so glad I'm not the only person to feel this way. Especially the bit about a genius :tongue:

On a slightly different note about exams: does anyone else feel as thought they cannot physically make it into exams even if they really want to do the exam :redface: :eek: , because they find the structure, atmosphere and all the rows of other people intimidating? Like you feel as if you'e going to throw up everywhere, start violently shaking and almost faint at the end of it all? Or is that just me?

Sorry this is probably the wrong place for it and what the hell it is.:woo: :redface:
I feel like that too, my university is looking into giving me exams in a separate room to see if that helps. Perhaps you could ask at yours and they might be able to do the same?

:hugs: Thanks for not making me feel so alone.
Pocket Calculator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm around for a chat if anyone wants it. hope you're all coping.

the knowledge of the fact that you're slipping back into a downer just makes the downer come faster. ironic.
Elements
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Hi elements.

Yes! That's exactly it. I'm so glad I'm not the only person to feel this way. Especially the bit about a genius :tongue:

I feel like that too, my university is looking into giving me exams in a separate room to see if that helps. Perhaps you could ask at yours and they might be able to do the same?

:hugs: Thanks for not making me feel so alone.
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonathan122)
What type of counsellers have you seen? Have you tried CBT at all?

They can help you to draw up strategies to combat negative thought patterns, so that when you do start feeling down, you can pinpoint what's making you feel like that, and either take steps to deal with it, or focus your mind on a more positive thought process. Also, it can help just having someone who you can talk to on a regular basis, without having to keep anything hidden from them.
I've considered it, but isn't there a huge waiting list on the NHS?
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
:sadnod: 'fraid so, but if you can't afford private treatment it's often worth seeing whether your uni or any local charities can help you with finding treatment.
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
it depends where you live, plus thesuggestionsjonothan made and besiedes, a wait list andtherapy is better than DEATH!!!!
Dinendal Leralonde
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm feeling so much worse this week than I usually do. I missed my doctor's appointment today because my alarm didn't go off. Last week, my GP tried to up my dose of Citalopram to 40mg, but I said I didn't think it was worth bothering with, and I didn't think it would help.

I've been having bad dreams too, which is troubling me. Dreams that focus either on me being alone, or my father coming back into my life in some way or another.

And, of course, I've been feeling even more lonely than usual. My friends, who know what's going on with me, are being totally tactless. It's really not the greatest feeling in the world sitting there while they make out with their new partners and talk about sex.
raspberrybubbles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Heya, how are you lovely?:hugs: Haven't spoken to you in ages!
Hey,
Things are okayish, not great but not at their worst either... how are you?
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
it depends where you live, plus thesuggestionsjonothan made and besiedes, a wait list andtherapy is better than DEATH!!!!
I'm not suicidal. Just rather depressed.
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
I'm not suicidal. Just rather depressed.
oops, sorry about that. I was a bit drunk.
still, wait list and then help is better than no help. It might make you feel a little better just to know that something is going to happen, light in the tunnel and all that.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I haven an appointment booked with my doc for monday. I don't know how to approach this depression situation tbh. I'm not sure if he'll believe me with a smile on my face-because that's how I get when I'm around others. It's mainly when I'm alone I'm really down. I just put on a big façade.
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Malsi101)
I haven an appointment booked with my doc for monday. I don't know how to approach this depression situation tbh. I'm not sure if he'll believe me with a smile on my face-because that's how I get when I'm around others. It's mainly when I'm alone I'm really down. I just put on a big façade.
If you smile to mask the depression, chances are it's a common technique that doctors have seen before.
Bangers+Mash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate this so much. I don't even know where to go anymore either.
I have that feeling where I have just run out of options.
I feel worse than ever, I keep trying to get a doctors appointment but the doctors surgery is so busy it is impossible to get an appointment at times.
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bangers+Mash)
I hate this so much. I don't even know where to go anymore either.
I have that feeling where I have just run out of options.
I feel worse than ever, I keep trying to get a doctors appointment but the doctors surgery is so busy it is impossible to get an appointment at times.

I feel your pain. Damn NHS.

Keep trying. Don't give up.
Bangers+Mash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)

I feel your pain. Damn NHS.

Keep trying. Don't give up.
Thanks, I have to phone up again sometime in the morning and even then I may not get one still. So frustrated.
How are you feeling? :hugs:
Dinendal Leralonde
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've got my initial meeting with a counsellor tomorrow. What can I expect?
Bangers+Mash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dinendal Leralonde)
I've got my initial meeting with a counsellor tomorrow. What can I expect?
If I try and think back to mine ages ago; It was more a "get to know you" meeting. It was just a general discussion about myself in general so the counsellor can get a feel of whats going on.

I hope it goes well, and in the long term I hope it helps you
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads