Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Xhotas)
    Well, I just watched American Beauty for the first time and I have to say, without a shadow of a doubt I have never seen a more beautiful film and I doubt a film will ever have me so enthralled that I'm literally rooting for Leicester and on the edge of my seat the entire time. No film has ever made me feel just so... amazed! It's amazing haha.

Honestly, I just wish I could watch it again for the first time. The feeling I got when watching that, I just couldn't stop. It's fantastic. I haven't loved a film this much since Donnie Darko.
    American Beauty huh? Need to check this out. :holmes:

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    This is going to turn into another Taxi Driver, isn't it?

Well, it has got Scorseses and De Niro, but it shows you the full extent of how amazing Scorseses is at directing. If you mean in surprising you at how good it is, then that's down to personal preference. I prefer Taxi Driver over Raging Bull, even though both are excellent movies.

Have you not watched it? It's brilliant, highly recommended. However, it may not be the best thing for you if the mood you're in is 'blockbuster action movies'.

How about;
    Face / Off?
    The Game?
    True Romance?
    The Score?

Some of those aren't blockbusters, but they're more in the mould of what I'm guessing you're after.

ReputationRep:
    Screeners aren't DVD quality though. They have a lousy picture, and usually come up with messages the whole time, like SCREENING PURPOSES ONLY or whatever.

ReputationRep:

Looks good.

ReputationRep:

It's incredibly pretentious in parts, but very much worth checking out. Alan Ball is an excellent writer; if you like AB I'd check out his series Six Feet Under too. I presumably don't need to tell you to avoid his *other* series, True Blood, like it's a rapey uncle at a family gathering.

ReputationRep:

What is on your watchlist? Share so I may steal. :teeth:
    That is a secret you'll have to wait till then, don't worry I'll put the list on here when I start watching them, just trying to keep away from movies till March, well that's the plan anyway

American Beauty is one

(Original post by Christien)
    It's incredibly pretentious in parts. Still a good - very good film, but very much worth checking out. Alan Ball is an excellent writer; if you like AB I'd check out his series Six Feet Under too. I presumably don't need to tell you to avoid his *other* series, True Blood, like it's a rapey uncle at a family gathering.
    True Blood:

Sex
    Blood
    Brooding vampire
    Sex
    Blood
    Comedy filler time
    Sex
    Pointless baring of flesh
    Sex
    Blood
    Credits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    True Blood:

Sex
    Blood
    Brooding vampire
    Sex
    Blood
    Comedy filler time
    Sex
    Pointless baring of flesh
    Sex
    Blood
    Credits
    Basically yes. I don't know why they don't just call it SEXY VAMPIRE HOUR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    Went to my friends the other day and he was watching The Kings Speech on his laptop. As you all know, the film isn't out on DVD and hasn't even been in cinema long. Though the quality he watching it in was DVD quality. He showed me the site and it's full of films which are still in cinema / not yet out on DVD all in excellent DVD quality.

Now I'm aware that discussing illegal websites on this site is not prohibited and that's not what I'm doing, but what I want to know is how? How are they doing this? Do they have a bunch of 'insiders' sneaking out copies? Another theory I had was that people with home cinemas (proper ones) can contact them directly and ask for a copy to be viewed in their cinemas. However I can't seem why or what they would gain from burning copies and passing them around the internet, the type people with cinemas in their homes don't need to do that kind of stuff
    It was most likely a website of screeners, advance copies that get sent out to awards voters, critics, some rental stores and industry professionals. When you consider that there's probably over 10,000 sent out, there's bound to be a couple of crooked idiots.

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    Screeners aren't DVD quality though. They have a lousy picture, and usually come up with messages the whole time, like SCREENING PURPOSES ONLY or whatever.
    Screeners are pretty comparable to DVD quality, the image isn't that different. But yeah, they do generally have a watermark.

You have to be a bit of a **** to leak a screener, as if you're getting one your job probably relies on the movie industry.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan of comics but this piece of news interested me.

"Darren Aronofsky is to release a comic book titled Noah, it has been revealed. The director has apparently been developing the project - which loosely follows the story of Noah's ark -since he was 13 years old."

ReputationRep:

NYC, Central Park, 2010. Five young teenagers are violently assaulted. But they’re not your average teenagers… they’re prodigies. The trauma of the assault incites them to lash out against the world in a cold and calculating way. The five chillingly brilliant minds come together to concoct a perfect revenge. The only person aware of the pending doom is Jimbo Farrar, a sixth prodigy, who has gathered them. As long as he fights against his five counterparts with all his might, there’s hope for the world. But should he turn over to their side, it’s only a matter of time before a disaster of apocalyptic proportions ensues…
    ****ing badass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    ****ing badass.
    Awesome! :gah:

ReputationRep:

Interesting little graphic (click to enlarge).

ReputationRep:
    Some animated stuff
    I want to see an animated film win Best Picture.

I'm up to season 5/6 now. Contrary to my fears that it might stagnate, I think it's actually got a pretty decent changing narrative over all of the years.
    Entourage just doesn't have the same feeling now, at least compared to when I started watching it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    True Romance?
    I google'd that thinking it was some romantic comedy... I was not expecting:

Clarence marries hooker Alabama, steals cocaine from her pimp, and tries to sell it in Hollywood, while the owners of the coke try to reclaim it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    I google'd that thinking it was some romantic comedy... I was not expecting:

It's how Tarantino envisages romance. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    I want to see an animated film win Best Picture.
    Can't see it happening for many moons. I want to see a doc get nominated for Best Picture. Reckon it might happen when Michael Moore makes another film.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.