Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    To be expected I guess.. you gonna be mobile when uni starts again?

Dude it's been a week.. think maybe you have a problem as well
    I really hope so but at the moment I'm reliant on crutches

I know I have always had a problem I didn't get into Walkabout on the last night :sad: tragic
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a moist feeling)
    I really hope so but at the moment I'm reliant on crutches

I know I have always had a problem I didn't get into Walkabout on the last night :sad: tragic
    You're going to have to spend so much money on the tube.. :erm:

Nor did pretty much all of floor one though! Except you did lie down on the floor outside a pub when Simon was taking you home :rofl:

Wonder what we'll be doing for re-freshers :dontknow:

ReputationRep:

Nor did pretty much all of floor one though! Except you did lie down on the floor outside a pub when Simon was taking you home :rofl:

Last year I didn't even realise refreshers had happened. We had a union night on the Friday when usually all we had was tables. Hopefully this years events people will pull their heads out their arses.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Last year I didn't even realise refreshers had happened. We had a union night on the Friday when usually all we had was tables. Hopefully this years events people will pull their heads out their arses.
    Hopefully.. though obviously it won't be in the union so if they don't organise anything soon I reckon the union run event will flop and it'll just be some people going out to various places :unsure:

ReputationRep:

Well I hope I will make some kind of miraculous recovery within the next week hopefully I should be at least walking by the time we get back. Apparently we are going out on the Monday lol

Yeh I was pretty drunk to be honest, I was pretty pissed off I didn't get in actually :sigh:

Yeh well either way we'll all probably go out a few times during the week, doesn't matter if the uni organises it or not really :dontknow:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well I hope I will make some kind of miraculous recovery within the next week hopefully I should be at least walking by the time we get back. Apparently we are going out on the Monday lol

Yeh I was pretty drunk to be honest, I was pretty pissed off I didn't get in actually :sigh:

Yeh well either way we'll all probably go out a few times during the week, doesn't matter if the uni organises it or not really :dontknow:
    We are??
    Is this one of Haniah's plans?
    Fill me in..

You didn't miss too much but would have been better for you if you'd gotten in

True true.. would just be nice to mix with some new people :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    We are??
    Fill me in..

Yeh according to her we are, but I don't know where :erm: or even if I'll be able to go

Yeh I would have much rather have got in to be honest, stupid bouncers

Haha new people? What is this madness

ReputationRep:
    My life:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    My life:

Tell me about it. I have more work than I've ever had in my life, but instead of actually doing it, I'm just pissing around procrastinating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Tell me about it. I have more work than I've ever had in my life, but instead of actually doing it, I'm just pissing around procrastinating.
    At least there are still Double Stuff Oreos. I just ate 60% of the pack in like 5 minutes. Alone.

I was just about to start revising, but now I'm too depressed. :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    So a guy I knew died of a PE a few weeks back but I only just found out about it. I didn't know him very well but he died at the tender age of 27 and was a very intelligent well spoken guy so it was a real shame.

After the initial "that sucks" phase yesterday I'm not filled with the morbid curiosity of the medical student on how exactly you can die of a pulmonary embolism. He used to be quite a large guy and then lost quite a bit of weight. He never really did any exercise and was ill for about a week before so I understand he had quite a few risk factors for a clot to occur somewhere.

However, the clot moves to the lungs and increases the pressure in the pulmonary arteries (presumably it gets stuck before it reaches the veins by getting jammed in the small arteries) and would diminish lung function but I don't see how that would kill you? People can live with one lung so I can't see how having a small section being messed up causing you to become hypoxic enough to kill you.

So, does the build up of pressure cause the right ventricle to swell and fail? Would this then possibly tear/burst? Could the same happen to the great veins? The online articles on emedicine/wiki are pretty sketchy and vague so any help would be appreciated.
    As far as I remember, most of PE-related deaths occur within the first hour after the initial event, so most likely due to cardiogenic shock and/or severe acute hypoxaemia...

(Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I've decided to swallow my pride and ask my housemate's girlfriend to set me up with someone when I go back to uni.
    Just make sure they're not hairy and named Bob. ;D

ReputationRep:
    Anyone care to share some scare tactics in order to kick me into gear? I've lost the ability to revise hardcore. January looks grim.

ReputationRep:
    We are??
    Fill me in..

Yeh according to her we are, but I don't know where :erm: or even if I'll be able to go

Yeh I would have much rather have got in to be honest, stupid bouncers

Haha new people? What is this madness
    When is re-freshers? I don't start back til like a week after you guys, hope I'm not gonna miss out...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    When is re-freshers? I don't start back til like a week after you guys, hope I'm not gonna miss out...
    Well I haven't heard of any plans so far but I would imagine it's first week back.. so week starting the 2nd of january

Doubt you'll be missing much
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schoolio93)
    Yup... I know it's really mad.
    first term we've finished covering metabolism, enzymes and protein signalling.
    Second term is genetics.

By the way our terms are only 8 weeks long.....
    Still 8 weeks of Metabolism and signalling pathways is intense.

Surely they break it up with a miniscule of clinical stuff so you dont loose sight in what you are doing?

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I've learnt today is how much the olive in the medulla does not look like an olive.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas everyone!

...now off to do the Christmas shopping.

ReputationRep:
    Well Glasgow has been cool again

Back to London today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Still 8 weeks of Metabolism and signalling pathways is intense.

Surely they break it up with a miniscule of clinical stuff so you dont loose sight in what you are doing?
    apart from three two hour applied anatomy sessions, we've done no clinical stuff the whole term... It's a really theory science based course....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schoolio93)
    apart from three two hour applied anatomy sessions, we've done no clinical stuff the whole term... It's a really theory science based course....
    Don't lie, we had like 2 hours of obesity PBLs and 2 hours of diabetes lectures

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.