Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
http://yesscotland.eu/no

'We are sorry that you don't agree with us that decisions about the future of Scotland are best made by the people who live in Scotland.'

Really winning me over there guys.
Haha. I can't say I'm shocked; some of these Yes hacks are ludicrously out of touch with the real world.

Ironic too that there's a .eu ending on that web address, yet notably the SNP are the party most forthrightly seeking to deprive the people of Scotland of any decision on the EU.
Boab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
It's just a pity Scotlands Youth don't share Kirstys short sightedness and dsire to screw over our economic future and well being.

I thought the the Yesnp had the youth vote in the bag? Why are they targetting feotuses?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_4940911.html
:confused:

What goes on in that head of yours?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
:confused:

What goes on in that head of yours?
Logical, reasoned thought and an ability to question political thought processes.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Don't need to. You're not really in YES's targets!

So patronising those who disagree with them is how you'd run the campaign?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Haha. I can't say I'm shocked; some of these Yes hacks are ludicrously out of touch with the real world.

Ironic too that there's a .eu ending on that web address, yet notably the SNP are the party most forthrightly seeking to deprive the people of Scotland of any decision on the EU.
If you click 'undecided' then they invite you to fill a form detailing 'what is holding you back from making a decision'. Maybe I could get them to explain what currency I'll use when RUK rejects a currency union?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So patronising those who disagree with them is how you'd run the campaign?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eh?
What are you talking about?

Personally I think the campaign is going well. You happy with your side?
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Eh?

No currency union.

A white paper with no detail.

Businesses expressing concern.

Personal threats against anybody that speaks out.

Not even a panelbase poll commissioned by wingsoverscotland showing anything near a strong position.

School after school saying no in mock referendums.

Pensions at risk.

Missing legal advice on Europe.

Yeah. You're into a winner with that one
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No currency union.

Not even a panelbase poll commissioned by wingsoverscotland showing anything near a strong position.

Pensions at risk.

41% compared to 46% with the polls narrowing and six months to go, not a strong position?

If you say so, I'm pretty happy with that!
VladThe1mpaler
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No currency union.

Pensions at risk.

Up to 47% now so they must be doing something right.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
41% compared to 46% with the polls narrowing and six months to go, not a strong position?

Try reasoning up on the wingsoverscotland commissioned poll.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/...king-1-3367066

Bought to you by our favourite non voting, fake reverend who's also a resident in Bath.

They have form.

However well done for shifting the polls a whole 3% with all the effort that's been put in and every argument out forward by the YeSNP campaign being found out not to add up.
andrew2209
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you click 'undecided' then they invite you to fill a form detailing 'what is holding you back from making a decision'. Maybe I could get them to explain what currency I'll use when RUK rejects a currency union?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I was Scottish, that's what I'd be most concerned about in deciding which way I vote. "Westminster is bluffing" isn't a good Plan B as far as I can see. Also, if Alex Salmond and the Scottish government refuse to accept anything other than using the Pound Sterling, could Westminster potentially tell Scotland they can't be independent?
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
Up to 47% now so they must be doing something right.
Really?

Care to show the poll and who commissioned it?
euphful
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)

Well no, of course it isn't a strong position; there are still more people on the 'No' side than on the 'Yes'; the stronger position is surely with the 'No' side? The latest polls show a lead of anything between 5% and 15% for the no camp, yet you'd argue 'Yes' has a stronger position?

Posted from TSR Mobile
VladThe1mpaler
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by andrew2209)
If I was Scottish, that's what I'd be most concerned about in deciding which way I vote. "Westminster is bluffing" isn't a good Plan B as far as I can see. Also, if Alex Salmond and the Scottish government refuse to accept anything other than using the Pound Sterling, could Westminster potentially tell Scotland they can't be independent?
No, westminster wouldn't stop scotland from becoming indpendent if thats what the people want. And we can continue to use the pound regardless of a currency union or not, it's perfectly legal (although it is not a good idea).
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by andrew2209)
Salmond can't force a sovereign state to act as lender of last resort to Scotland.

It's a bit like me demanding you pay all of my bills for me. I can demand that you do and huff and puff and stamp my feet, but at the end of the day if you say no, there's very little I can do about it.

Salmond and the SNP have been pushing the line if Scotland's oil for sometime. Only a prize nutter would think that oil revenues will bring the return that the SNP claim they will.

Edinburgh's the fourth largest financial centre in Europe. When you understand that you understand why Salmond wants to keep the £.

No £ and all of that highly taxable revenue stream moves south. And that's why there's unlikely to be a currency union. Although Salmonds claim of north sea oil helps the UKs balance of pavements, if the UK looses that it gains the financial sector .

That's the economic reasoning behind it. Realistically though its political now. The UK likes control over its own monetary policy and has turned its back on the €. Not a surprise there especially after the euro crisis. That's why the pro € SNP did a massive U turn on currency a few years back.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...pound-1.263204
euphful
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In fact, to find the only 'Yes' lead in any poll (according to UK polling report) you have to go back to August 2013, in which a Panelbase/SNP poll had 'No' at 43% and 'Yes' at 44%... This poll is issued with an advisory note from UKPR saying 'Panelbase/SNP question was asked after other questions that could have had a potential skewing effect'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Eh?

We both know what I think of the No campaign.

That doesn't deflect too well from my original question though-do you think openly patronising No voters does your campaign any favours? What will happen in a Yes vote, all No voters to be publicly 'outed' and declared traitors of the state, as 1tartarnarmy likes to put it?
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try reasoning up on the wingsoverscotland commissioned poll.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/...king-1-3367066

Bought to you by our favourite non voting, fake reverend who's also a resident in Bath.

They have form.

However well done for shifting the polls a whole 3% with all the effort that's been put in and every argument out forward by the YeSNP campaign being found out not to add up.
No matter what poll results come out you claim a shift of 3%, every time. Maths is clearly not your friend, though we already know that from your 1/3 2/3 fiasco!

What does it matter one jot where the guy that run's the website lives btw?

Panelbase were pretty spot on in 2011 if my memory serves me right. No matter, I expect the polls to keep showing momentum towards YES over the next 6 months. It's fun this!
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
No, westminster wouldn't stop scotland from becoming indpendent if thats what the people want. And we can continue to use the pound regardless of a currency union or not, it's perfectly legal (although it is not a good idea).
You're right. It is perfectly legal. But not advisable with Scotland's strong financial sector.
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We both know what I think of the No campaign.

That doesn't deflect too well from my original question though-do you think openly patronising No voters does your campaign any favours? What will happen in a Yes vote, all No voters to be publicly 'outed' and declared traitors of the state, as 1tartarnarmy likes to put it?
I'm confused as to where and who was being patronising.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.03%
No (234)
75.97%

Watched Threads