Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Surely Gustavo would have picked Arsenal, had you put in a matching bid for him?

I think Wenger needs to realise that he has his work cut out if he's only prepared to pay exactly what a player is worth and not a penny over. You have to pay inflated fees, its inevitable in modern football. They want to be compensated and be able to make a tidy bit on the side as much as you want to save every penny; its business.

ReputationRep:
    Any Sauces that Gustavo is going to Wolfsburg?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone seem to believe that Wenger is even looking to sign Gustavo. Sounds like Jovetic all over again.

Anyways, just hope that we don't have to wake up to any injury news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Surely Gustavo would have picked Arsenal, had you put in a matching bid for him?

I think Wenger needs to realise that he has his work cut out if he's only prepared to pay exactly what a player is worth and not a penny over. You have to pay inflated fees, its inevitable in modern football. They want to be compensated and be able to make a tidy bit on the side as much as you want to save every penny; its business.
    Apparently Wolfsburg and Bayern have strong connections through Volkswagen. Gustavo is being given to them as a result. I don't think it a matter of money or Arsenal's attraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Why does everyone seem to believe that Wenger is even looking to sign Gustavo. Sounds like Jovetic all over again.

So who are to believe he's going for? If we're not gonna believe Gustavo, Suarez we shouldn't dream of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Reports of Gustavo getting 8m euros a year at Wolfsburg which is about 115k-130k a week.

Gustavo to be highest paid player at AFC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

Sagna is apparently injured and a doubt for Saturday. Vermaelen is out and we have loaned Miguel I think.

#thinsquad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We've got rid of Squillaci, Denilson, Arshavin, Chamakh, Gervinho and Santos.

Our summer hasn't been that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derrick1509)
    Sagna is apparently injured and a doubt for Saturday. Vermaelen is out and we have loaned Miguel I think.

#thinsquad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And Sagna was our new 4th CB. So what happens if Kosc or Mert get injured in Saturday? Wenger gonna work his magic on Jenkinson and make him a CB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Concerning to hear Die Welt, Bild and Kicker all say Gustavo has chosen Wolfsburg but, like so many transfer stories this year, I can't see any reliable quotes to even suggest this. Sky have said it's all crap, I have no idea how reliable those German papers are (I think Kicker is a load of crap though?).

At the end of the day, he'll choose Arsenal for footballing reasons or Wolfsburg for money/familiarity. If he's serious about making the World Cup squad it's a no brainer, especially with Fernandinho putting himself on a bigger stage. And Paulinho, too.

ReputationRep:
    Tottenham are being relentless in the market. Credit to them, showing real desire and ambition to get CL football. And you know what, don't put it past them. Arsenal and Liverpool need to step up in the market because Tottenham have added some real quality. If they keep Bale, they're gonna be a very competent team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    And Sagna was our new 4th CB. So what happens if Kosc or Mert get injured in Saturday? Wenger gonna work his magic on Jenkinson and make him a CB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Jenkinson CB, Ramsey RB I would think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derrick1509)
    Jenkinson CB, Ramsey RB I would think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Reminds me of a few years back when we had to play Flamini at RB and even LB. It's pretty disgraceful that Wenger is doing this.

Our full backs for the North London derby on 1st September might be Ramsey and Zelalem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if Wenger took Holloway's approach in the transfer market:

"Myself and the chairman are going to sit down and have a look at the targets we have shot at, and go from a scattergun approach to the rifle. We have got to knock some targets over."

That would be some site to see! I don't think Wenger has much option but to buy players (if not the fans are gonna be on his back if they aren't already) especially cause the squad size is one of the smallest. I'm sure he knows that though.

ReputationRep:
    Tottenham are being relentless in the market. Credit to them, showing real desire and ambition to get CL football. And you know what, don't put it past them. Arsenal and Liverpool need to step up in the market because Tottenham have added some real quality. If they keep Bale, they're gonna be a very competent team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's no way they're keeping Bale with all these players coming in. I reckon they have an agreement with Madrid to keep the deal under wraps until the end of the window, allowing Spurs to bring in players for prices that aren't inflated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    Imagine if Wenger took Holloway's approach in the transfer market:

"Myself and the chairman are going to sit down and have a look at the targets we have shot at, and go from a scattergun approach to the rifle. We have got to knock some targets over."

That would be some site to see! I don't think Wenger has much option but to buy players (if not the fans are gonna be on his back if they aren't already) especially cause the squad size is one of the smallest. I'm sure he knows that though.
    That's why it's so nice to have Holloway in the PL. He not only speaks his mind but his choice of words are fascinating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The difference between Tottenham and Arsenal last year was that Tottenham could actually compete with the "bigger clubs". They beat United (at Old Trafford), beat City, and beat you. The only big club Arsenal beat in the PL last season was Tottenham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nwakaeme)
    The difference between Tottenham and Arsenal last year was that Tottenham could actually compete with the "bigger clubs". They beat United (at Old Trafford), beat City, and beat you. The only big club Arsenal beat in the PL last season was Tottenham.
    That's why they have EVERY chance of getting 4th, if not higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's why they have EVERY chance of getting 4th, if not higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, if Bale stays, they should be favourites to get top 4. If Arsenal get top 4 this season they will scrape it.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said at the start of the summer that we need a CB but everyone believed it wasn't necessary. Honestly I much as I respect Wenger, he has got a lot of things wrong this time around. What is the point in having Sagna play as a CB and force yourself to play a second choice RB. As good as Jenkinson is, the team shouldn't be forced into playing him. It should be a choice thats dependent on the opposition and form of Jenkinson and not whether or not anyone is available to play at RB.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.