The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

LMAO at that howard webb picture wasn't he the ref for our first leg game vs Spain in 2009?
Reply 61
I don't remember, but I'm glad Terim is gone. HIDDINK FTW.

Hamit Altintop just won the Goal of the Year award, for his goal vs Kazakhstan. :party:
Reply 62
Ermm im confused u guys all turks here? (cba to read all these posts) well anyway lemi add on to the neigbour country thing-an azeri in the house!: )
Original post by oh-sugarrr
Ermm im confused u guys all turks here? (cba to read all these posts) well anyway lemi add on to the neigbour country thing-an azeri in the house!: )

Merhaba kardes!

Can you speak Azeri? When watching television in Turkey, I have a tendency to watch Azeri TV to see how much of it I understand. I actually managed watched 'A Knights Tale' in Azeri. :lol:
Reply 64
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Merhaba kardes!

Can you speak Azeri? When watching television in Turkey, I have a tendency to watch Azeri TV to see how much of it I understand. I actually managed watched 'A Knights Tale' in Azeri. :lol:

LooL merheba my friend haha. Yeah I speak it, it is my language after all..:biggrin: you guys are so sad lol azeri's usually understand turkr perfectly well but turks can't understand us, very odd lol.
Yeah I speak it, it is my language after all..:biggrin:

Men de Azerbaycan danismaq olar.

Spoiler

oh sugarrr
you guys are so sad lol azeri's usually understand turkr perfectly well but turks can't understand us, very odd lol.

Well, I understood 'A Knights Tale' in Azeri. I deserve at least a medal for that, don't I? :cry2:

You're right though, I am quite sad. I also watch the Kyrgyz channels when I can. Although it must be said, other than the odd familiar word, I really can't understand what the hell they're on about. I like their hats though. They're almost as good as old school Turkish hats. I got me one the other day, proper retro like. :gangster:
Reply 66
Men de Azerbaycan danismaq olar.

Spoiler

Well, I understood 'A Knights Tale' in Azeri. I deserve at least a medal for that, don't I? :cry2:

You're right though, I am quite sad. I also watch the Kyrgyz channels when I can. Although it must be said, other than the odd familiar word, I really can't understand what the hell they're on about. I like their hats though. They're almost as good as old school Turkish hats. I got me one the other day, proper retro like. :gangster:

Lol aww that was cute :P are you full turkish or kurdish turk? Haha yeah so true when I watch them it feels as tho I understand it but I just keep thinking 'HUH?:|' lol there are a few familiar words tho.
Reply 67
turkish girls :sexface:
are you full turkish or kurdish turk?

I can safely say that I'm not Kurdish. Not that there's anything wrong with being Kurdish. They're a great people who've produced some fine individuals over the course of history. Salahaddin Al-Ayyubi is one that springs to mind.

The fact of the matter is that as Turkic peoples, we all have a mixed ancestry. The pure Turkish race 'died' long ago as a result of Ottoman policy. The policy whereby you are 'Turkish' if you're Muslim and not so if you're otherwise. Thus we had periods of Turks fighting against Turks, brother fighting against brother. Sad times.

So are you, yourself, from Britain or Azerbaijan?

oh-sugarrr
lol there are a few familiar words tho.

'Daglar' is one I hear and I think "Oh ****, I actually understood something! Mum, mum, come quick! You wouldn't ****ing believe it, but I understood the man with the funny hat on TV!"

tut.exe
turkish girls :sexface:

Do you find me sexy? :flutter:
It's because native English speakers talk at a rate faster than you can comprehend, and the words they speak are distorted by colloquialism and their accents.

English, and most other languages are very different from Turkish. Where, in Turkish, the language is spoken as it is written and written as it is spoken, English and most other languages are otherwise.

I have noticed that too when trying to listen to Turkish. When I speak with my Turkish boyfriend on msn and he has friends over I certainly still can't understand much when he is talk?ng to them except for a few words I have already memorized. yet when I watch (and hear) news in Turkish I can now understand the j?st of alot of what is spoken. Because they have to speak the language clearly and concisely for news so everyone can understand. So might be a good idea for Xandar to try watching news in English at first, do you think?

I don't worry about it though. If I keep at it, Im hoping in time I will start to pick up more from casually spoken Turkish.

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
I've just realised that there's quite a few Turkish people on DeviantArt.
I'm surprised I didn't notice that before considering how many accounts I have there.
Are you a member of the TurkSanat group?

Actually I had not known of that group before on DA until you mentioned it. :smile: Nor did I know that many Turks were on DA. Ill see if I can find out about that group though, thanks HWB.
Reply 70
I can safely say that I'm not Kurdish. Not that there's anything wrong with being Kurdish. They're a great people who've produced some fine individuals over the course of history. Salahaddin Al-Ayyubi is one that springs to mind.

The fact of the matter is that as Turkic peoples, we all have a mixed ancestry. The pure Turkish race 'died' long ago as a result of Ottoman policy. The policy whereby you are 'Turkish' if you're Muslim and not so if you're otherwise. Thus we had periods of Turks fighting against Turks, brother fighting against brother. Sad times.

'Daglar' is one I hear and I think "Oh ****, I actually understood something! Mum, mum, come quick! You wouldn't ****ing believe it, but I understood the man with the funny hat on TV!"

Do you find me sexy? :flutter:

apart from Tarkan, I didn't think there were Turkish gays.
Reply 71
:hi: Merhaba!

I'm not Turkish, though one of my friend is. :h:
Reply 72

'Daglar' is one I hear

Oh ok : ) im an Azeri that lives in the u.k(London) yeah. Yeah I understand you, but the reason I asked was because I cant really say i've met turks here, all of them that I know are all kurds. Haha 'daglar' means mountains in Azeri lol.
Original post by Zebracolors
I have noticed that too when trying to listen to Turkish. When I speak with my Turkish boyfriend on msn and he has friends over I certainly still can't understand much when he is talk?ng to them except for a few words I have already memorized. yet when I watch (and hear) news in Turkish I can now understand the j?st of alot of what is spoken. Because they have to speak the language clearly and concisely for news so everyone can understand. So might be a good idea for Xandar to try watching news in English at first, do you think?

I don't worry about it though. If I keep at it, Im hoping in time I will start to pick up more from casually spoken Turkish.

You probably will learn a bit more than casually spoken Turkish.
Personally, I think the best way to learn it is to engage with people who do speak Turkish.
My school used to send the students who study German A level to Germany for work experience. Every time they went, they learnt a lot more German than they would if they stayed studying in England because in a way they'd be 'forced' to learn.

Original post by Zebracolors
Actually I had not known of that group before on DA until you mentioned it. :smile: Nor did I know that many Turks were on DA. Ill see if I can find out about that group though, thanks HWB.

Everyone there seems to write Turkish so it could be quite good for learning some art related words...
Plus you might see some of my art there? :colondollar:

Haha 'daglar' means mountains in Azeri lol.

I knew that too! :excited:

Original post by Tut.exe
apart from Tarkan, I didn't think there were Turkish gays.

Hey tutz. :smug:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 74
Lol wohoo:-D
Reply 75

Hey tutz. :smug:

:sexface:
Original post by Tut.exe
:sexface:

What have you been up to? (Apart from facebook stalking girls? :tongue:)
Reply 77
What have you been up to? (Apart from facebook stalking girls? :tongue:)

-.- I was studying last night, now exams are over... :biggrin:
why can't this essay finish :redface:
Original post by ChaoticSkills
why can't this essay finish :redface:

Essays don't write themselves. :console:
What's it on?

Quick Reply

Latest