The Student Room Group

TSR Amateur Athletes Society

Scroll to see replies

Not played a sport in far too long! Exams are so annoying in this regard. Had one month study leave too but most of my friends didn't so can't play football/badminton/tennis with any as they're all too busy too. :frown:
Got my next motorbike race on feb 20th. Will be another 3 hour offroad race on Salisbury plain. :smile:

Tis annoying being at uni and not getting a chance to ride the bike between races atm but i'm working on increasing my strength/fitness so all is good...
Reply 62
No updates?

Season's over, Rugby League varsity on Saturday! :gthumb:
Game this afternoon
Season's going to end soon though looking forward to 7s and maybe trying my hand at boxing
Entered the 3 hour offroad race on feb 20th.

Was great fun. I did 6 laps whereas my dad only managed 5. To put this in perspective in my first proper race last year i managed 4 so i'm getting better/faster.

Of course on such a massively long lap with different hazards it's never exactly the same but it's still good...

Me at the end of the race and my very clean bike...

On the 3rd lap on this tricky muddy section i dropped the bike into a muddy/boggy puddle about a foot deep. The only thing sticking out was the end of the handlebars and the rear tyre...:biggrin:

Next race beginning of April...
I play rugby for a local side for a bit of fun and fitness work - far from the level I did play at but just for the enjoyment of the game it will suffice.
Original post by MHorman
Entered the 3 hour offroad race on feb 20th.

Was great fun. I did 6 laps whereas my dad only managed 5. To put this in perspective in my first proper race last year i managed 4 so i'm getting better/faster.

Of course on such a massively long lap with different hazards it's never exactly the same but it's still good...

Me at the end of the race and my very clean bike...

On the 3rd lap on this tricky muddy section i dropped the bike into a muddy/boggy puddle about a foot deep. The only thing sticking out was the end of the handlebars and the rear tyre...:biggrin:

Next race beginning of April...

How did you get into racing bikes?
Original post by sleekchic
How did you get into racing bikes?

I started off just riding an offroad bike for fun alongside my road bike.

I went offroading a few times for fun but there's not many places to legally go offroading as you're not allowed on the fun stuff like footpaths/bridleways so you have to find public byways that are legal for motorbikes.

Because of this my dad had entered an Enduro race before because there you get a proper decent length track for 3 hours where you ride as fast as you want and there's ambulences on scene as well...

Then he offered me a chance to come along and it was good fun and i beat him first time when he'd already raced twice. There's a massive skill difference at these events though. You get netional champions that have been riding offroad since they were 5 coming flying past at full speed and you have others that will sturggle to complete 1 lap in 3 hours.(like my brother when he tried, he got half a lap)

Main difference between riding it for like an hour or so when you're doing it for fun and racing is how KNACKERING the racing gets after a while...

Basically he's a lot better skilled at riding offroad than i am but my fitness is a lot better so i win in races. I'm also about 5 stone lighter which is useful..

tl;dr Started riding onroad, then a bit of offroad then tried a race for a laugh and enjoyed it.
Lost the game but ref was a complete tool. Very sensitive to back chat and reversed a penalty on us because of someone saying "Thank you sir" in a sarcastic tone of voice. I had a decent game but not a good one hopefully standard will have raised by the next game on sunday
First football game on Sunday.

Got absolutely blasted in training yesterday. Our receivers were running routes with no linemen, so I was blocking on most plays but just resting really because I didn't have anyone to block. Then I ran a route, was still pretty laid back, caught the ball and a guy hit me helmet to facemask at full speed while another tackled me from behind. Can't chew food very well now. Hoping nothing is fractured, but mobility is pretty OK and no real swelling so I guess nothing is badly hurt.
Played rugby today. Ended up playing 10's because they'd only turned up with 11.
Best game I've played all season to be honest. Scored a try straight from the restart broke two tackles and outpaced the full back.
This has never happened to me before and probably never will again.
Sadly a mate dislocated his shoulder, but he looked all right.
Still training hard, two back-to-back weeks over 50 miles. Previously I was doing around 47-48 so not a massive step up, but still got to find the mileage somewhere. Got a rest day in too, so it was pretty awesome this week. One more week at 50 miles, easy week, then another three at 50 miles... then it's almost drop the mileage time!
Reply 72
My badminton team won a cup today. Hoorah!
Reply 73
Gutted to see there are no Athletics threads in the Sport forum.
Just wondering if there are any athletes on here? Preferably throwers?
Original post by LJ.
Gutted to see there are no Athletics threads in the Sport forum.
Just wondering if there are any athletes on here? Preferably throwers?

I used to do a fair bit of shot put for my school, competed at county-level but just wasn't quite good enough.

We never had the facility at school to be able to train much, and my closest athletics club (Exeter Harriers) was an hour's drive away. :sad:
Reply 75
I played rugby at amateur level during high school days, a head stamp injury put me of it for life lol!

I play football, american football and cricket at amateur level. The one I hope I can progress furthest in, am I'm newest to is ameircan football. Also gonna be doing this at uni :smile:
edit - nevermind
Was ruled out of goalkeeping duty today with an elbow injury, so was coaching the side instead before playing the last 20 minutes up front.

Side won 1-0. :h:
Reply 78
Short update from me...

My uni rugby league team won our league and beat Nottingham Trent to be promoted into premier south, 1 league below top flight student rugby league.

I had a decent game, 7/10 probs, made a good few breaks but also was penalised by the ref a couple of times!

Moved home now for easter, so playing rugby union for my home club for 3 weeks, first game on sat.

Will tell you guys how they go!
I'll add my personal update:

Suffered a horrible elbow injury after slipping up, so I ended up fully captaining/coaching our Maths football team for a game in which I came on up front for the last 20 minutes or so.

I then (rather idiotically) played our last game of the season back in goal, on a large amount of painkillers. Actually still had a pretty good game, but after the ibuprofen wore off it was absolute agony.

Back home tomorrow so I'll be playing either left-wing or up front for my team at home on Saturday.

After Easter (month's time) I've got rounders, rugby sevens, 6-a-side and tennis to look forward to. Every Wednesday. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest