The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Person1001
Hi. In surah al-baqarah what is the special favour referring to?

"O Children of Israel! call to mind the (special) favour which I bestowed upon you, and fulfil your covenant with Me as I fulfil My Covenant with you, and fear none but Me. "

The opinion of the salaf [righteous predecessors] was that this verse is regarding Allaah's favour when He made water gush from stones, sent down manna and quails for them, and saved them from being enslaved by Pharaoh and that Allaah (swt). He also sent Prophets and Messengers among them and revealed Books to them.

The best way to understand a verse in the Qur'an is through another verse:

"Remember Moses said to his people: "O my people! Call in remembrance the favour of Allah unto you, when He produced prophets among you, made you kings, and gave you what He had not given to any other among the peoples." [5:20]

This verse also is a reminder to the Children of Israel (i.e the descendants of Prophet Ya'qub (as) [Jacob]) to be like their pious forefathers who obeyed the commandments of one God and follow in their footsteps and obey Allaah (swt) and follow Muhammed (saws)..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mel0n
Does anyone here know a reason why some people dislike Zakir Naik? I remember a couple of years ago some people saying he said something that renders him untrustworthy, perhaps it was something about the prophet saws, but that's about all I can remember. Does anyone know?

Are you refering to Muslims or non-Muslims here?

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by amerzeb
i dont fully know the history about the successor, but all i know is that the right person was elected and that was Abu Bakr (may allah be please with him)

You only "know" that because that's what you've been told to believe.

Anyway, that wasn't my question.
Reply 63
Original post by Dirac Delta Function

Clarify your question..
Reply 64

ok after the death of the prophet (pbuh) there was a dispute amongs the companion on who will be the next leader. Umar (ra) nominated Abu Bakr and many of the companion added to his support, so that how he became caliph, i dont know the full detail about the incident, but this is all i know
Reply 65
Original post by SaintSoldier
Are you refering to Muslims or non-Muslims here?

Spoiler

I asked in the Ask a Muslim thread because I was asking other Muslims :colondollar: sorry for the confusion.
Original post by mel0n
I asked in the Ask a Muslim thread because I was asking other Muslims :colondollar: sorry for the confusion.

Rumour has it that he's being paid by the Saudi Government to spread Islam in India. The point is that they want him to preach Wahabi teachings, which deviate from traditional Islam somewhat.

Also he misinterprets some verses horrendously just to twist them around into "scientific miracles"
Reply 67
Rumour has it that he's being paid by the Saudi Government to spread Islam in India. The point is that they want him to preach Wahabi teachings, which deviate from traditional Islam somewhat.

Also he misinterprets some verses horrendously just to twist them around into "scientific miracles"

No such thing as Wahabism, as some Muslims on this thread might tell you. Long story short, Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahab attempted to bring the Muslims back to pure Islam. At his time people had gone astray with issues such as grave worshipping and bidah (innovation). Of course, he had opposition, and his followers were branded 'Wahabis'. The term has stuck to this day.
Hi. Are people punished in Hell for eternity? I've asked quite a lot of people and I tend to get mixed views.
I understand there is a debate on the use of 'Khalideen' which can mean both 'eternal' and 'enduring'

http://quransmessage.com/pdfs/Punish...0of%20Hell.pdf

Which one is it? (saying this I feel I'm going to get different answers here too)
Reply 69
Hi. Are people punished in Hell for eternity? I've asked quite a lot of people and I tend to get mixed views.
I understand there is a debate on the use of 'Khalideen' which can mean both 'eternal' and 'enduring'

http://quransmessage.com/pdfs/Punish...0of%20Hell.pdf

Which one is it? (saying this I feel I'm going to get different answers here too)

depends if your a muslim your not, if you are muslim and was not a practising one then that person will go to hell but will not be there forever, unlike a non muslim. i hope that answers the question
Original post by amerzeb
depends if your a muslim your not, if you are muslim and was not a practising one then that person will go to hell but will not be there forever, unlike a non muslim. i hope that answers the question

Where do you take that from exactly?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71

That'll explain it.
Reply 72
Where do you take that from exactly?

But those who reject our signs and treat them with arrogance They are companions of the Fire, to dwell therein (forever). 7:36

Those who reject Faith and do wrong Allah;― will not forgive them, nor guide them to any way. Except the way of Hell, to dwell therein forever: and this to Allah is easy. 4:168-169

hope that helps
Reply 73
Was the Caliphate of the Rashidun mandated by the Prophet?

If so, why was there deliberation on the matter?

Yes, the caliphate was mandated by the prophet(saws)
Reply 74
Original post by mel0n
That'll explain it.

Mainly because of this video

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75

Non-salafi/wahabi mosques also get funded by Saudi. Weak argument.

Peace,

Although I don't necassarily follow Zakir much, I have to admit, it doesn't help the credibility of that video link you gave when the editor seems to think this;

[INDENT]Whole world knows Islam is a terrorist religion,so nobody is converting in India.Only those hindu girls who r getting trapped by muslim guys in the name of love r forced to convert after marriage by muslims.So hindu girls shd beware of muslim men who r trying to trap them in love and later forcing them to convert into islam.[/INDENT]

Typical hindu extremists who's quite delluded. Mainly his type have an obsession with Zakir Naik.

I wouldn't rely on this guy to "refute Zakir naik" :biggrin: lol.
Asalamu Alaykum.

I have a quick question. Does it say in the Quran that Jesus is the 'word of God'?

I was viewing an Islamic lecture on youtube and the man said something along the lines of that.

Is he right in saying that, or is he mistaken?

Jazakullah khair
Reply 78
Original post by Diabolic99
Asalamu Alaykum.

I have a quick question. Does it say in the Quran that Jesus is the 'word of God'?

I was viewing an Islamic lecture on youtube and the man said something along the lines of that.

Is he right in saying that, or is he mistaken?

Jazakullah khair

What do you mean by 'word of God'? And can you provide a link to the lecture :smile:?
Original post by mel0n
What do you mean by 'word of God'? And can you provide a link to the lecture :smile:?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mufiLa2hqOQ

He's actually a very good lecturer preaching Tawheed.

I just need to clarify what he's saying is true.
(edited 12 years ago)