Listen To This Song and Tell Me Rap Isn't Good!! Watch

Petit chou
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PuRmn6AwQM

I think this is a better example, and it shows rap hasn't died underneath all the commercial crap thats out at the moment.
Dijobla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Petit chou)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PuRmn6AwQM

I think this is a better example, and it shows rap hasn't died underneath all the commercial crap thats out at the moment.
I really like Immortal Tech, but God, I hate that song just because of the story... :sad:. He is lyrically immense though.

Here's another thought provoking Immortal Tech song, Poverty of Philosophy:
Pop_tart
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rap isn't good...
Blátönn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anae)
Normally I'd agree that saying 'let's see YOU do it then!' is a daft comeback when someone dislikes something, but seeing as you trivialised something that takes a lot of 'skill and talent', I'd say it's viable. Obviously you think you could play the Kazoo to a reasonable level should you for some reason want to; do you really think you could write good lyrics and rap them (disregarding the fact your voice might sound a bit daft) to a reasonable level?
Of course I could write lyrics, anyone with a half decent literary education could. I don't think I could seriously be expected to write a convincing rap 'poem' as I have no experience of 'dem hoes 'n' ****** in da hood'. As far as talking in tune to a beat sure I could, but don't expect some low-class black accent and dialect - which is essentially what differentiates 'talking in tune to a beat' and rapping.

(Original post by TheEnergizerRabbit)
I'm not taking this as a question of taste, so your assuming me to be a 'moron who pays money...' is far enough wide of the mark to have wasted both your time in writing it and my time in reading it. A person who chooses to use words like 'fathom and drivel' should have enough sense to understand the analogy between 'bashing at keys' and 'talking over a beat', because both require skill for the simple reason that there are are multitude of implicit and explicit rules which separate the art of playing the piano from 'bashing at keys'. As you should be able to guess, the same is true for the distinction between rapping and 'talking over a beat'. If you are unaware of what those rules might be, please don't use your ignorance as an excuse to talk wildly about a subject you clearly know very little about - and instead act rationally by either using your ears and observing a pattern, or asking various individuals who are more aware about the genre. The reason I point out that your comments go further than a question of taste, is because there are various contemporary music forms which are frankly appalling to my ear, and can only be really appreciated by those who recognise the skill involved in composing them, if you wish me to provide you with examples I'm most happy to do so. I don't enjoy having to be so painfully pedantic but truly, fools like yourself can't be educated any other ******* way.
So you're effectively saying all forms of art are relative and should not be compared as they require different skill sets? Bull ****. It's like saying Jackson Pollack is as good a painter as Salvador Dali because they both put paint on paper but using different skill sets. Utter nonsense.

(Original post by herzblut)

Have you ever read a poem out loud?
Yes, as have most primary school children.
Mwoah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anyone seen Katy Brand's big ass show.
tenement_funster
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
rap

still

sucks

the only one i like is the another one bites the dust remix with wyclef jean
Anae
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Blátönn)
Of course I could write lyrics, anyone with a half decent literary education could. I don't think I could seriously be expected to write a convincing rap 'poem' as I have no experience of 'dem hoes 'n' ****** in da hood'. As far as talking in tune to a beat sure I could, but don't expect some low-class black accent and dialect - which is essentially what differentiates 'talking in tune to a beat' and rapping.

Assuming you mean 'in time' and not 'in tune', it's a lot more than that. It's the same skills as poetry reading (PROPER poetry reading, not standing up in year 2 reading 'baa baa black sheep' you ass).

Of course I could write lyrics, anyone with a half decent literary education could. I don't think I could seriously be expected to write a convincing rap 'poem' as I have no experience of 'dem hoes 'n' ****** in da hood'.

You utter, utter *******. For so many reasons.
TheEnergizerRabbit
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hahaha in your frankly desperate attempt to be 'in your face and controversial', you've had to pack every one of your sentences with either irrelevant points or 4x4 crates of bog standard bull ****. Its a well known fact that the worse an individual is a particular task, the worse he is at estimating his efficacy. Marry that with your probable age and sex and it doesn't surprise me that your blissfully unaware of how hard it is to rap to the standard presented by the OP. What does surprise me, is your determination to blindly ignore anything and everything which can actually be observed about hip-hop and replace it with ignorant faith in a stereotype which is not only unrepresentative, but is also irrelevant.

1. Comment about being black; how stupid would you have to be to assert that. You would literally have to ignore the fact that arguably the most successfully rapper alive is white.

2. Comment about ******/hoes; You literally must have either not actually listened to the song (linked by the OP), in which case, you have no right to talk about it, because if you had - you wouldn't have heard the word hoes, or its equivalent once. You would have heard an individual musing about philosophical ideas, ideological thinkers and political commentary. None of which is consistent with your hypothesis on rap, none of which is consistent with your 'low class image'. Again your stupidity is bewildering, yet your misplaced confidence is unparalleled.

Maybe I'm being way too generous, but please, without wikipedia could you even name a rap album you've listened to? If your answer is none, and you don't see why your opinion on the subject is invalid, then you should celebrate your being an example of why free speech is in some ways flawed.

So you're effectively saying all forms of art are relative and should not be compared as they require different skill sets? Bull ****. It's like saying Jackson Pollack is as good a painter as Salvador Dali because they both put paint on paper but using different skill sets. Utter nonsense.
Your very confused. As unfortunate as that may be, you should have at least waited for that daze to pass before replying. When you can point out where I tried to 'compare art forms' or 'say that art is relative', I'll show you why your confidence in your 'basic grasp off literacy' is way, waay off.

Taste is relative. Art is not, for the simple reason (I'm repeating myself) that art has rules and taste does not. I'm not reasoning that you should like rap, your taste is completely irrelevant. However, we can't have you making baseless comments about an art form you have no clue about. It is an art form in the same way that poetry, and playing the piano are arts. One can denigrate them by ignoring those rules and making superficial comments of 'bashing keys' and 'putting words in sequence' but one would be an idiot and a fool to do so. People much much more intelligent that you select tracks and marry them with a story or some clever wordplay. That's what rap is, and it does take skill.
lm_wfc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's all he did though - talk over music. There is no comparison between this drivel and playing the piano. I cannot fathom why morons, such as yourself, would pay money to listen to this rubbish.
We can all simplify things.
To say common was just talking over music is the same as saying a great pianist is just hitting different keys to make sounds.

If you were to take away the music and write it down it would be poetry. Is poetry just writing?

gtfo
lm_wfc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by john87)
kanye west is **** mate, this is real hip hop:

lol. you also gtfo.

Immortal technique cockbuffers can get off their high horse aswell please.
Blátönn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lm_wfc)
We can all simplify things.
To say common was just talking over music is the same as saying a great pianist is just hitting different keys to make sounds.

If you were to take away the music and write it down it would be poetry. Is poetry just writing?

gtfo
Here's a couple of lines from the piece in question:

'And everything a n*gga do may not be what he might say'

'Shorties blunted-eyed and everyone wanna rhyme'

'Furs and a Benz, gramps wantin 'em'

He doesn't even have the grammatical ability of a deranged child, let alone any claim to poetic merit.
Dijobla
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol. you also gtfo.

Immortal technique cockbuffers can get off their high horse aswell please.
loooool Immortal Tech cockbuffers
I know he's not the Messiah of hip-hop like some people think but why the hate?
lm_wfc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

He doesn't even have the grammatical ability of a deranged child, let alone any claim to poetic merit.
Sometimes, when making songs (a form of entertainment), people use colloquialisms so it sounds better. If fits the flow and rhyme scheme better.

I take your point though, ALL the great poets do stick perfectly to the laws of grammar. Oh wait....
lm_wfc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dijobla)
loooool Immortal Tech cockbuffers
I know he's not the Messiah of hip-hop like some people think but why the hate?
He is an average rapper with a dull flow, eccentric production which i don't enjoy, who rhymes about pseudo intellectual conspiracy theories.

On par with doom.

I would rather listen to crack selling jayz than them anyday. If anyone thinks IT or doom are entertaining, you need to loosen them backpack straps up, they're cutting off the circulation to your brain.
Dijobla
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Oh, now I'm beginning to get it. Do you not like/appreciate the lyrics because you don't understand it? As in, his 'non-standard' style, dialect and rhythm are... beyond you... maybe? Just wondering.
I'm not calling Common a master poet, but it's a bit like reading Shakespeare or Chaucer and calling their work crap because you can't get a grip on the lexis and syntax.
Dijobla
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He is an average rapper with a dull flow, eccentric production which i don't enjoy, who rhymes about pseudo intellectual conspiracy theories.

On par with doom.

I would rather listen to crack selling jayz than them anyday. If anyone thinks IT or doom are entertaining, you need to loosen them backpack straps up, they're cutting off the circulation to your brain.
Lol. Hmm, yeah, I think I agree with you in some parts. Like I mentioned earlier, I hate that "Dance with the Devil" song. It's supposed to be deep but the whole story is just sad and depressing... it's like the equivalent of a picture of a teddy bear in fire ruins. I don't think his flow is fantastic either, just meh, but I still think he's a good lyricist.

What annoys me though, is the way people are 'discovering' him like he came out yesterday! He's been around for years and he's not done much.

EDIT: oh yh, I think I talked to you in another thread about the band in your sig, blu & Exile. If that's the kind of music you regularly listen to, we're probably on the same page hip-hop wise.
Blátönn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh, now I'm beginning to get it. Do you not like/appreciate the lyrics because you don't understand it? As in, his 'non-standard' style, dialect and rhythm are... beyond you... maybe? Just wondering.
I'm not calling Common a master poet, but it's a bit like reading Shakespeare or Chaucer and calling their work crap because you can't get a grip on the lexis and syntax.
I understand what he is saying *, it's that he is saying it without any vestige of eloquence or artistry.

*As for archaic and unconventional forms of English I actually did my 3rd year thesis on Langland, so it's not like I have difficulty with comprehension.
TheEnergizerRabbit
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol. Hmm, yeah, I think I agree with you in some parts. Like I mentioned earlier, I hate that "Dance with the Devil" song. It's supposed to be deep but the whole story is just sad and depressing... it's like the equivalent of a picture of a teddy bear in fire ruins. I don't think his flow is fantastic either, just meh, but I still think he's a good lyricist.

What annoys me though, is the way people are 'discovering' him like he came out yesterday! He's been around for years.
I love Dance with the devil, it was one of the first songs I ever heard which just left you completely stunned at the end. Like a sick ending to a film, his storytelling was superb on that one.

His politics pisses me right off though, and I don't think he has aged particularly well, his newer stuff is a bit to much **** America and very little else IMO.
lm_wfc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I understand what he is saying *, it's that he is saying it without any vestige of eloquence or artistry.

*As for archaic and unconventional forms of English I actually did my 3rd year thesis on Langland, so it's not like I have difficulty with comprehension.
Why isnt it eloquent? That's subjective.
The song in OP's post is only an intro.

You are ignoring the fact I pointed out how most great poets didnt follow grammar.

The point of language is comunication, if people understand what you mean, then it's fine.
TheEnergizerRabbit
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

You don't have any understanding of what Grammar is do you? For **** sake, please stop chatting complete ****. Perhaps Noam Chomsky is an fool for defending the use of non standard English (Such as pidgin, and the form you are criticising here) as being perfectly grammatical in their specific contexts. I'm again happy to find you a reference if you need. Idiot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed