GIRLS: Would you let a male midwife deliver your child? Watch

*Hannah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think I'd mind tbh...having said that, I can imagine myself having a big rant about how they 'don't know what I'm going through' or something. Although this rant would probably only happen if I got angry for some reason.
BabyGirl92
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I would
Heather_Duncan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I sure would, in my opinion male gynecologists are gentler because they don't want to hurt you and know that you are feeling vunerable. I always ask for a man for smears and check-ups so I think I'd feel the same about child birth
nelie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course.
If your worried about him being sexual, its no different to a lesbian midwife delivering it =]
oh_adele
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes. Whoever gets it out fastest would be fantastic, actually.
nolongerhearthemusic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Probably. Not sure about other things like medical examinations though, I think I would much prefer a female doctor.
Antifazian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would much prefer a female one to do it, but if there was only a man available it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Cultivated
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd let anything/anyone help me get a ******* head out of my vagina tbh.
blueshoes123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't care who delivered it as long as they got it out lol
balloon_parade
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it would be a little bit weird, its nicest when the midwife has had children of their own, feels more of an emotional moment! But in reality as long as they know what they are doing it is all good.
fran.ha
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
By that time I don't think I'd care too much, I'd just want the thing out of me.
Plute
Report 9 years ago
I was delivered by my mum's childhood best friend who she hadn't seen for years, by complete chance. I think thats a little stranger than a male midwife.
jesse2609
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would, if he's my friend or as long as he's not new to our family.I think i'd be more comfortable with that rather than anyone else.
H&C
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
100%. The Trust u'm at has a brilliant male midwife and the only objections I've ever heard have been on religious grounds. There's also been the odd hubby make a comment when their wife's about to deliver but it's only ever been something like "are you sure" to their wife. The reply usually comes in one word!

I also know of lesbian midwives but I've never heard anybody ask that question of their midwife so any suggestion that a male midwife may sexualise it is just ridiculous.
There are a lot of female midwives who never want children and that has been a form of criticism from expectant parents in the past.
plopSDCSDC
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I dont mind either, as long they can do a good job of it.
it's.a.science
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by IQ Test)
I see your point, but Id imagine that some women would feel uncomfortable with a man doing this as they cant have kids themselves etc..
no?
i get why it might be nicer maybe to have a female deliver ones child and i suppose some women, especially those who respect a religion, would be uncomfortable with a male midwife.
but even those with female midwives have to be prepared that in the eventuallity of a major problem - a male obstetrician may have to deliver their baby...
and also...having a male midwife (him unable to go into labour etc...) might be nicer as he can't tell u that it doesn't hurt that much or anything because he doesn't know. and also men are typically less emphatic and just do their jobs so baby mght be more likely to be born with less complications and shizz but that's pure speculation...wonder if anyone's ever done a study of that?? hmmmm :o:

i hope all that makes sense...i kinda wrote it all posh like because i can't phrase what i am trying to say unless it's all written right atm...
little_green
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I couldn't haved cared less whether the midwife who delivered my daughter was a man or a woman, I just wanted the baby out! Obviously they are not going to be looking at your bits in a sexual way, and as for them not knowing what labour is like themselves, I think this is irrelevant as to how empathetic they would be. When I was induced, one of the student midwives who helped attend to me was in her 40s and had had children before, but I found her manner quite brusque and impatient, whereas another student, who was probably 21 at most and had no children, was wonderfully empathetic and really put me at ease.
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well obviously you're going to be in stupid amounts of pain so I really wouldn't care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed