It's official - the highest paid degrees 2009. Watch

Easywellyes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
My subject for example (chemistry) has a large number of people going on to do PhDs which means the average is lower, if they had chosen not to do further study they would have a higher wage.
hmm no.

People going onto further study are not included in this survey - only people going into employment. They don't just make up a salary for people in their first year of phd, they're simply excluded.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
Two on the list from Queens Belfast in the top 10 haha
Due to euro (as in the currency) strength and it being a good uni.

Thats pretty explainable...
gracie88
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
£21,788 I'm going to be on £21,000 but that's above the 'all institutions' average. Then again I don't think it's down to the university you went to, there are a number of factors.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Easywellyes)
hmm no.

People going onto further study are not included in this survey - only people going into employment. They don't just make up a salary for people in their first year of phd, they're simply excluded.
Ta, glad someone did the background reading

Thats makes me even happier then that it isn't altered by that.
Easywellyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
Two on the list from Queens Belfast in the top 10 haha
(Original post by Quady)

It's only in medicine and denistry though (expected with 5+ years of study) - and only slightly above all similar courses.

I only bothered writing courses with £31k+, as otherwise I would have been there ages as most medicine degrees were in the £30k-31k bracket.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Did I just hear the sound of toys being thrown out of a pram?

Source? Preferably independent...
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/careers/.../Economics.php

Not independent, though...
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)

I'd accept those since they are pretty comprehensive!

Yeah 5k is more than could be explained by the figures being for 07/08 compared to 06/07 and people having to go for lower paying jobs due to the 'downturn'.
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

That's for 2006/2007 whereas this data is apparently 2007/2008. Nottingham will be publishing their 2007/2008 data within the coming weeks so we can then compare how true the values are.
Easywellyes
Rep:
?

I love the way that apparently first degree grads earn £29k and yet their higher degree grads get an average of £26k.

Says a lot for Notts masters.
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
I'd accept those since they are pretty comprehensive!

Yeah 5k is more than could be explained by the figures being for 07/08 compared to 06/07 and people having to go for lower paying jobs due to the 'downturn'.
Graduate recruitment wasn't as affected until late 2008, so I am not sure if the figures would be 5 k less. We can only wait and see.
Turdburger
Report 9 years ago
No salary is listed for my course. Starting salary is a pretty poor indicator of earning potential throughout the career mind.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
N2) Management studies
How many more times? Oxford does not have a management studies or business studies course. The nearest vague possibility is Economics & Management, which is presumably included in the economics course data. If that is not the case it raises the question of how HESA has split students of one course between two areas (economics and business studies). Either way, the credibility of the data, as well as any conclusions drawn from it, is suspect.
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Haz313)
Where's Nottingham Economics on there? Won't open for me=[
+rep for answer
It isn't because apparently the average has been lowered to 24 k in 07/08!
Easywellyes
Rep:
?
Graduate recruitment wasn't as affected until late 2008, so I am not sure if the figures would be 5 k less. We can only wait and see.
To be honest that one year is probably significantly affected by one grad appartently getting an £80k a year job. I doubt that happens every year.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quady)

Why would salaries of Belfast graduates be particularly affected by the strength of the Euro? Belfast is in the sterling area.
Haz313
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love the way that apparently first degree grads earn £29k and yet their higher degree grads get an average of £26k.

Says a lot for Notts masters.
Hardly, considering a lot of people going down the Masters route also go down the phd/academics route whereas most of the undergrads go work in city finance
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be honest that one year is probably significantly affected by one grad appartently getting an £80k a year job. I doubt that happens every year.
250 students graduate every year, so would have increased the average by at most 500 pounds.
aKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd think they'd use the median or something to avoid this.
Mean is too easily swayed for things like this

and it wouldn't be one 80k job swaying things...
Easywellyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
How many more times? Oxford does not have a management studies or business studies course. The nearest vague possibility is Economics & Management, which is presumably included in the economics course data. If that is not the case it raises the question of how HESA has split students of one course between two areas (economics and business studies). Either way, the credibility of the data, as well as any conclusions drawn from it, is suspect.
How does that have anything to do with the credibility of the data - do you understand the word?

Yes, we aren't given a complete breakdown of subjects - as the Times hasn't provided it - but the HESA collected information relating to all of those specific subjects. Undergrads doing E&M (and MEM and others) get taught at Said Business school, and some E&M grads make their degree 75% or more management, so it is no surprise that Oxford have something called under the broad Business Studies section.
Easywellyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by aKarma)
I'd think they'd use the median or something to avoid this.
Mean is too easily swayed for things like this
Yes mean is - and that probably explains why that one year it is £5k higher than the next. Case solved.

(Original post by aKarma)
and it wouldn't be one 80k job swaying things...
If the average is around £24k, even with 100ish students, one 80k could significantly affect the data, and I'm sure Nottingham economics dept would be happy for it to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads