Why does the government treat smoking as worse than drinking? Watch

screwyouguysimgoinghome
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Svenjamin)
Weed isn't thought to be safe though. Aside from the concern about mental health, in the last few years there have been studies that have found weed to be much more carcinogenic than tobacco.

With alcohol and tobacco being legal and regulated there is lots and lots of money being poured into research of side effects. With weed being illegal there's nowhere near as many studies, it's banned so why bother? Sure lots of people take it so for the NHS it would be useful to know more about weed, but from a business side of things there's little economic benefit in sponsoring the research of something that can't be legally sold.

The research is patchy at best, and if it was to be legalised then the research budget would inevitably rise to look into the health implications. Whether it would be better or worse than tobacco would be unknown until after the research, but I'd put money on it that weed won't be found to be the heavenly safe drug.
I don't agree. There is evidence cannabis has been used for over 5000 years. There has been a HUGE amount of research into its health effects. A lot of highly respected medical journals consider it far less harmful than tobacco or alcohol. When cannabis smoke is inhaled from a vaporiser I'm pretty sure it's FAR LESS carcinogenic than smoking a cigarette.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ra...ependence).svg
simcard2007
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
I misread that and thought you were asking for people to drink with you for a minute there.
haha no just trollin'

wut :eek:
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MichaelG)
Its a generalisation that keeps that party in power. A few monthes ago with tax changes, the government kept income tax the same for lower earners, but mildly increased the tax (VAT) on things like booze and ****. This was because, say someones income for the week is £200, the government assumes that if they tax peoples cash based on income more heavily, then it would kick up a huge fuss.

its based on the idea that if people are used to a fixed payslip (ie, people in more mundane, routine jobs), seeing their payslip decrease (because of tax) despite working exactly the same hours would be more demoralising for them and in turn, become less likely to support the government but in particular the party in power (ie, the labour party).

instead, increasing the cost of a pint by 2 or 3 pence, people would only think "oh its only a couple of pence" and the government would make massive benefits.
Oh I seeeee... I thought you were going in the opposite direction with your post and not meaning the working class population, for some reason... I was pretty tired. :p:
Maxien78
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
i do believe they want to ban alcohol adverts...any time...

anndddd smoking is addictive...

drinking isnt...

my dad started smoking at 14 and still is... LOADS dispite getting asthma when he was 30 which has just gotten worse n worse n landed him in hospital a few times... those times he stopped smoking (while he was still unconscious obviously...) and for a week then he started again

but stopping drinking because it upset his stomache ulcer wasnt a problem... (he can drink again now but thats not helping my arguement....lol)

basicalllyyyyyyy............... smoking is the big taboo right now, smoking ban, raising of age limit...

drinking... is more socially accepted...

look at the amount of people who smoke and become addicted... compared to the amount of people who drink and become addicted...
x
You said everything i was gonna say.

Drinking is only dangerous when it is abused whereas smoking is addictive from the start.

I gave up smoking a week before the ban but 2 months ago i started again .... yes huggeee, maHOOSive mistake, but i plan to stop again this weekend

I have been drinking since i ahev been old enough to buy it (lies ) and im not an alcoholic, i can live without it and do not crave it.

Also there have been talks on Tv lately about banning alcohol and people ahev been asked for their thoughts on it so the government are not just thnking about smoking.
fourleaf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Even though they both harm people, smoking is seen as worse, the smell gets in your clothes, your hair, your face...

So can alcohol; obviously.. but just not as badly, it doesn't make children cough and stuff.
StarsAreFixed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why would you even have to ask? I'd imagine because when people are sitting in the pub they are not harming the health of others around them by drinking.
I Love Dog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Alcohol is only significantly dangerous when you abuse it. A normal level of tobacco consumption (a pack a day) is dangerous. Smoking is also addictive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.83%
No - but I will (101)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed