Saying i live with my nana to get EMA Watch

Steveo92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JustCallMeKate)
If you want more money, what happened to just getting a job?

There really is no need to try and play a system in place to help actually disadvantaged students.
There is a need when the system fails at what it is meant to do.
JustCallMeKate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Steveo92)
There is a need when the system fails at what it is meant to do.
But the OP says he doesn't need the money at all, he's just jealous. Hence I don't see why the obvious conclusion is to commit fraud.
Joseph90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fallen angel9)
Same. Not even just that, but the amount of books and study aids I had to buy during A level was ridiculous, especially for English. I know people who could have lived quite comfortably without it and most had jobs anyway. In my year I don't know anyone who used it wisely. :shifty:

(Oh I'm sure there are people who do need it, before anyone gets mad)
I didn't spend a penny on books. Borrowed them all from school.

I'm doing English at University. I haven't spent a penny on my reading list, I found it all in the Library.

Though there are some people who need it for things. Most don't and can spend it on other fun stuff.
fallen angel9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Joseph90)
I didn't spend a penny on books. Borrowed them all from school.

I'm doing English at University. I haven't spent a penny on my reading list, I found it all in the Library.

Though there are some people who need it for things. Most don't and can spend it on other fun stuff.
We had to buy them to write in our own notes in and then bring them into the exam and then they were like well you should buy the revision guide as well. :rolleyes: I think I brought like 6 books and a study guide for each one. Plus I had to buy a study bible for R.E along with the commentary. My brother got EMA and we're in the same bloody family! :eek3: Just because he was on some 'entry to employment' course. He spends it all on clothes and alcohol. :sigh: The whole system is a joke to be fair. Nice in theory but rubbish in practice.
usainlightning
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AndrewFromTheNorth)
90% of the people at my college get EMA of £35 a week. My parents earn just over £30,000 between them and so i can't get it, even though they're in lots of debt etc. They only pay for the things for me that most parents pay for for their kids. I don't smoke or drink and i'm generally not a very expensive child to have. It's quite demotivating to hear people at college constantly going on about EMA. What i've heard a few people have done (and which i also hear is not too uncommon) is say they live with their uncle or grandparents so they get EMA.

Unfortunately, i have 2 problems:

1. Whenever i bring it up with my mam, she always just changes the subject or tells me to stop talking about it or actually addresses it and says i can't because then my family allowance would get delivered to my nana and it'd be a hassle for her having to go every so often to collect it (which is the only thing she's concerned about). What can i do to persuade her to let me say i live with my nana and get EMA? Is there a way for her to still get my family allowance

2. Are there any other implications of saying i live with my nana apart from all college letters being delivered to there?
Don't scrounge off the taxpayer you benefit cheat. It is illegal.
Joseph90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We had to buy them to write in our own notes in and then bring them into the exam and then they were like well you should buy the revision guide as well. :rolleyes: I think I brought like 6 books and a study guide for each one. Plus I had to buy a study bible for R.E along with the commentary. My brother got EMA and we're in the same bloody family! :eek3: Just because he was on some 'entry to employment' course. He spends it all on clothes and alcohol. :sigh: The whole system is a joke to be fair. Nice in theoty but rubbish in practice.
:rofl:

I like the idea of the government helping students but it should be done differently. If a student needs a book and they aren't well off, they should sign a form to claim for it if they earn below a certain threshold. Then the government wouldn't have to be giving people money alone. That would save more money for students who need books.
Fuzzpig
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm telling on you :teehee:

That's not on though, and I'm sure they have systems in place to catch you out.
Sparkly-Star
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We had to buy them to write in our own notes in and then bring them into the exam and then they were like well you should buy the revision guide as well. :rolleyes: I think I brought like 6 books and a study guide for each one. Plus I had to buy a study bible for R.E along with the commentary. My brother got EMA and we're in the same bloody family! :eek3: Just because he was on some 'entry to employment' course. He spends it all on clothes and alcohol. :sigh: The whole system is a joke to be fair. Nice in theory but rubbish in practice.
I thought I had to buy lots of my books but I found out today that we can borrow them for a deposit at school otherwise books are super expensive if you need a lot of them. :sad:
fallen angel9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sparkly-Star)
I thought I had to buy lots of my books but I found out today that we can borrow them for a deposit at school otherwise books are super expensive if you need a lot of them. :sad:
Your school sounds nice.

So now I have a load of books which I can't even sell because they've got my crappy notes written all over them. FML.
Dan1990
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Scrap EMA, end of. Or make you pay it back, much like we do with our student loans.
emmielociraptor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's fraud. It's illegal.

And if you're like most of the people I've come across who claim EMA you won't spend it on stuff you need for college anyway.
Leighthesim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i say this from the perspective of someone who has been in both the threshhold and above it-
one- £30 is the most you can get and it is not that much
two- lying is commiting fraud and it is poeple like you who make the government drive up taxes for no reason
and three- if you need the money get a job and earn it - i get more from working in waitrose then i do EMA anyway

as i was above the 30,000 limit but then my dad died so i am under it now, but i know alot of people who are just over it as whilst it is a pain for them, they are greatful because they get more in the first place anyway. The EMA scheme was set up to help those who are on lower incomes to stay on in education- those people who are either forced out to do the bottom of the chain jobs at 16 and to try and get those who would end up just sitting around and mooch off benefits to do something with their lives.

So stop complaining i know it sucks to just be over- it suck to just be over or under at anything but you jut have to get over it!
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dan1990)
Scrap EMA, end of. Or make you pay it back, much like we do with our student loans.
I'd very much like this. :yep:

And OP, that would be absolutely disgusting and morally wrong, not to say committing a criminal offence and that too, directly against the State.

I hope you get caught if you do lie. So my advice is not to. Get a job like I have to, whilst studying 4 A-levels and participating in a few regular extra-curricular activities too, (plus TSR time), it is definitely do-able. No excuses!
Sparkly-Star
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your school sounds nice.

So now I have a load of books which I can't even sell because they've got my crappy notes written all over them. FML.
Well it was my first day and I felt pretty awful cos I had some troubles but it's getting better. The people are nice though.

I'm glad I can borrow them and get the deposit back which helps loads as I can spend the money on something else useful.

Maybe sell them to a (school) library if they want to buy them? I don't know if you can. :s: Or have them sold at some kind of book sale or online perhaps.
fallen angel9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well it was my first day and I felt pretty awful cos I had some troubles but it's getting better. The people are nice though.

I'm glad I can borrow them and get the deposit back which helps loads as I can spend the money on something else useful.

Maybe sell them to a (school) library if they want to buy them? I don't know if you can. :s: Or have them sold at some kind of book sale or online perhaps.
Maybe. The only problem is my notes are so illegible, I doubt anyone would want them. :sad:
Nick_000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Please don't commit benefit fraud as ultimately the burden is on the taxpayer. Both for the money we lose and the cost of the trial when you get taken to court.
Sparkly-Star
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DJkG.1)
I'd very much like this. :yep:

And OP, that would be absolutely disgusting and morally wrong, not to say committing a criminal offence and that too, directly against the State.

I hope you get caught if you do lie. So my advice is not to. Get a job like I have to, whilst studying 4 A-levels and participating in a few regular extra-curricular activities too, (plus TSR time), it is definitely do-able. No excuses!
I'm going to get EMA but I'm also going to try and get a job because on top of the college stuff I'd like to save up for uni as well. It's a shame the system is being abused.
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm going to get EMA but I'm also going to try and get a job because on top of the college stuff I'd like to save up for uni as well. It's a shame the system is being abused.
It is a shame.

And fair enough to you. I can't say I wouldn't claim it if I was eligible to be perfectly honest!
Sparkly-Star
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DJkG.1)
It is a shame.

And fair enough to you. I can't say I wouldn't claim it if I was eligible to be perfectly honest!

Well I think as long as the money is spent wisely.
Plute
Report 9 years ago
I'm actually coming off this thread before I start ranting about EMA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise