Saw someone in a balaclava at night... Watch

Stomm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He might have just been a gay bloke cruising. Or of course he may indeed have been someone lurking looking to mug and/or rape someone...
Smtn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Burkha is the new balaclava
Anon the 7th
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i walked past a few chavs once, one who was wearing a balaclava, and quite late at night

it was a scary 5 seconds for me tbh
AP.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Should have reported to TSR sooner, a couple of hours is too much. I recommend a mobile internet connection.
SacreBleu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by amenhotep)
What should I have done?

It was in a large, public park at around 11pm (a few hours ago).

It's quite big and reasonably lit on the main path areas, but there's lots of tree/bushy areas and smaller paths that are virtually pitch dark.
I was passing through and he seemed to be leaving the park from where I entered.

First thing I noticed was a shifty walk - I thought it was someone in a hoody, but as I approached he moved off the path and walked on the grass alongside. I did walk almost directly toward him to see how he'd react (not sure why, really) and he just shifted a bit and continued in the same direction.

Anyway, I took the long way through the park, past the few spots where people would usually pass or hang out (we passed each other near the entrance and I went into the park, he seemed to be going out) and after I had seen that it was empty I exited on the other side of the park (I'd say it's 0.5 km in 'width').

My initial reaction was to call the police, and I do regret not doing so a little, but it didn't seem like a dodgy situation (instinct), and I did walk directly toward him and I also checked the park.

Should I have called the police? Should I have approached the person directly and asked why? (I'm not scared of getting into a fight with someone or being mugged, but these days I am 'scared' of assault charges, which are generally worse than being beaten)
Balaclavas are legal you know. They keep your face warm..?
MelonFace
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't be so prejudiced; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J18DALnb_NM
kaka-ayyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Stomm)
That would be a tramp then. Not washing for more than a week or two, combined with a fair bit of piss does indeed give your body odour its own physical presence...
hahaaaa, amusing... the smell was smething else, i've come across odours of other tramps, but this one was something else
The Entity
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No. I don't drink at all. Why do you ask? You think it was a hallucination!?

It's not going to be a gun or a sword. A knife on a general member of the public isn't something I fear.

It wasn't courageous to me, nor stupid. Just what I did and would probably do again. I thought he'd run or attack - he did neither. He 'passed' some sort of suspicion test I suppose.

And I couldn't call the police until I left the park (probably 10 minutes to the nearest telephone box). It wasn't urgent enough to scream for someone with a phone or to knock on doors (which also would have been 3 or 4 minutes later).
LOL, being sloshed doesn't make you hallucinate.
AidanLunn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No. I don't drink at all. Why do you ask? You think it was a hallucination!?

It's not going to be a gun or a sword. A knife on a general member of the public isn't something I fear.

It wasn't courageous to me, nor stupid. Just what I did and would probably do again. I thought he'd run or attack - he did neither. He 'passed' some sort of suspicion test I suppose.

And I couldn't call the police until I left the park (probably 10 minutes to the nearest telephone box). It wasn't urgent enough to scream for someone with a phone or to knock on doors (which also would have been 3 or 4 minutes later).
A) It's stupid not to afraid of something like a knife. One of those things is alot more dangerous than you'd think. and what's saying he wasn't carrying a gun? Gun crime is getting to be as popular as knife crime!

B) It's night-time. Night-time can play tricks very easily on your eyes and thus, on your mind. He may have looked suspicious, but his suspicious looks may have been simply down to the fact that it was pitch dark and that you may have been tired (you didn't mention if you were or weren't tired, so i dunno if you were or weren't)
amenhotep
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by AidanLunn)
A) It's stupid not to afraid of something like a knife. One of those things is alot more dangerous than you'd think. and what's saying he wasn't carrying a gun? Gun crime is getting to be as popular as knife crime!

B) It's night-time. Night-time can play tricks very easily on your eyes and thus, on your mind. He may have looked suspicious, but his suspicious looks may have been simply down to the fact that it was pitch dark and that you may have been tired (you didn't mention if you were or weren't tired, so i dunno if you were or weren't)
I've spent hundreds of hours, maybe thousands, in the vein of not fearing a knife wielding person in the slightest.

The gun crime thing is rubbish, definitely where I live. It's very, very, very unlikely that random members of the public will ever be shot, anywhere.

I'm 100% sure of what I saw. It was at night but the path was pretty well lit, and I close enough to see.
amenhotep
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by The Entity)
LOL, being sloshed doesn't make you hallucinate.
You'd be surprised. I've seen (quite recently) a (very) drunk person get excited by a reflection.
Foulish
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Was he wearing a stripy jumper? Black trousers and a brown bag with "SWAG" written on it? Did you happen to hear a "Pink Panther" theme tune in the background?

If so, report it, he stole an old ladies jewellery box!

In all seriosusness - take a look at your local news tomorrow morning and see if any crime has been reported. If so tell them what you saw.
mcunha
Report 9 years ago
Not to say you should have been afraid of this particular guy, but its stupid to say you're not scared of guys carrying knives...
Makes you sound like you think youre a bit hard, lets face it... if you got stabbed in the stomach... you'd probably just die like everyone else?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (162)
38.94%
No - but I will (22)
5.29%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.56%

Watched Threads