Will Oxford (or other Unis) appreciate my efforts? :( Watch

This discussion is closed.
Purbasha T
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Jinru)
Well be honest with your self, do a STEP II and STEP III paper.
If you can't get 1,2 atleast then I seriously doubt you have any chance at Oxford. I think Cambridge would had appreciated your effort much more.

Mathematics is probably the most competitive course (After E&M and Medcine I think)

(and don't look at answers and think "oh I know that!")
Haha, No I won't do that thing in bracket.

Okay, about STEP. You mean just do at home and see how much I get? Yep, I went through some of those, but wasn't really counting my scrore. But hmm, I'll do some more for sure before the entrance test, but ye also this time, remembering to count the score.
Purbasha T
(Original post by hobnob)
But you missed all of those offers. You can't count on them all giving you offers again, because your application would have looked much stronger on paper this time last year.
Nope, I only missed the UCL offer of AAA. The others were fine, even King's would've probably accepted my high C (missed B by 7 marks) in F Maths. And I surely can count on at least QMUL. Bcoz their requirement is BBCP(P for pass), and I already surpassed it; they asked me to defer as well but I said I'd apply for a different course. Last year, I applied for FG31; but now decided to go for G100.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Purbasha T)
Nope, I just missed the UCL offer of AAA.
You think ABCC is a near miss for an offer of AAA? Bizarre!
dawgnut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha, No I won't do that thing in bracket.

Okay, about STEP. You mean just do at home and see how much I get? Yep, I went through some of those, but wasn't really counting my scrore. But hmm, I'll do some more for sure before the entrance test, but ye also this time, remembering to count the score.

Two people I know (both very competent academic wise) gotten offers from Cambridge but they missed their STEP requirement.

I'm not going to judge on your A level results, but Oxbridge tend to offer 1,1 in STEP anywho. So if you can't even get 1,2 then theres no point to apply really. They only employ people who are solely good at Maths.

Btw that wink icon isn't intensional. But yeah do some papers at home.
Purbasha T
(Original post by Good bloke)
You think ABCC is a near miss for an offer of AAA? Bizarre!
I again pardon you for not reading it properly. :rolleyes: I was talking about missing out on King's offer, ABB; I got ABC.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I again pardon you for not reading it properly.
That is very generous of you, but you did talk about just missing the UCL offer of AAA, which is what I quoted.
Purbasha T
Okay, I guess my grades are not really giving a clear inside out. Right, for Maths modules I got A (AAAABE), for Physics B (AABABD) for F. maths C (AABCDE). So it's just one module from Physics and two modules from F. Maths which hurt me, NOT ALL OF THEM, as some are thinking.
Purbasha T
(Original post by Good bloke)
That is very generous of you, but you did talk about just missing the UCL offer of AAA, which is what I quoted.
Oh sorry, my mistake. I should have written ''only missin'' instead of ''just missing''. :p: Actually someone said I missed all the offers, so I said it's only the UCL's one that I missed. My appology for being that sarcastic a$$.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nope, I only missed the UCL offer of AAA. The others were fine, even King's would've probably accepted my high C (missed B by 7 marks) in F Maths. And I surely can count on at least QMUL. Bcoz their requirement is BBCP(P for pass), and I already surpassed it; they asked me to defer as well but I said I'd apply for a different course. Last year, I applied for FG31; but now decided to go for G100.
You missed the other offers too. Perhaps some of your universities were willing to let you in anyway, but that still isn't the same as making the offer.
Okay, I guess my grades are not really giving a clear inside out. Right, for Maths modules I got A (AAAABE), for Physics B (AABABD) for F. maths C (AABCDE). So it's just one module from Physics and two modules from F. Maths which hurt me, NOT ALL OF THEM, as some are thinking.
But they're the ones which you didn't retake, whereas the As are mostly due to your resits, right?
Purbasha T
You missed the other offers too. Perhaps some of your universities were willing to let you in anyway, but that still isn't the same as making the offer.

But they're the ones which you didn't retake, whereas the As are mostly due to your resits, right?
Just 2 A's were due to retakes. Rest were achieved in first goes.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmmm what is more worrying is your writing grammar, as pointed out by others, I can't really imagine your personal statement being strong because your writing style is weak? I know in the grand scheme of things this sounds harsh and unrelated, but the comment is to help you, if you do want to apply, be careful of your grammar and sentence structure as it will be important.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just 2 A's were due to retakes. Rest were achieved in first goes.
Hang on, so you're saying that retaking just two AS modules made you mess up half of your A2 modules so badly?
emilY?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The number of resits you've had to do in order to wrench your application up to an acceptable level will not look brilliant. Taking a third year for this, especially, is rather rare for an Oxbridge applicant. I've also heard admissions tutors from other good universities such as Manchester, for example, say they quickly disregard applicants who've done this.
Nicole_0009
Badges: 4
Report 9 years ago
Guys, can I ask a question please. May not be in the right thread though! ...
I got 9A*s and 2As at gcse. A*AAAa* at A-Level. However, I got one D in a module in a subject. Is there any point in reapplying for Oxbridge or top london unis? I already have an offer at a top 5 uni...Any advice please?
thanks xx
Purbasha T
Hang on, so you're saying that retaking just two AS modules made you mess up half of your A2 modules so badly?
I didn't get A's in the other ones I resat.
Purbasha T
(Original post by riotgrrrl)
Hmmm what is more worrying is your writing grammar, as pointed out by others, I can't really imagine your personal statement being strong because your writing style is weak? I know in the grand scheme of things this sounds harsh and unrelated, but the comment is to help you, if you do want to apply, be careful of your grammar and sentence structure as it will be important.
It's more to do with trying to post quickly rather than my grammar. But anyways, never late to learn. So I'd work on it. Thanks for your advice.
BJack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The answer's no. Why is this thread still open?

(Original post by Nicole_0009)
I got 9A*s and 2As at gcse. A*AAAa* at A-Level. However, I got one D in a module in a subject. Is there any point in reapplying for Oxbridge or top london unis? I already have an offer at a top 5 uni...Any advice please?
thanks xx
Your grades are fine, so I'd really ask, "Which subject?" Less competitive subjects would be more worth reapplying for, but if you hold a place for, say, English or medicine, it's going to be risky to reapply unless you really want to go to Oxford (which is not a healthy state any way).
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are other good universities -- life is what happens when we're making plans.
Purbasha T
Okay, guys thanks. I actually wanted to know about whether Unis have the right to ask me for A grades in modules for what exam boards aren't willing to award an A level certificate for. Not really sure if many figured that out (two of you did, and one said they do have the right, the other said they don't; lol). Anyways, thanks.
RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nicole_0009)
Guys, can I ask a question please. May not be in the right thread though! ...
thanks xx
How have you already got A* at A level? I thought they were new for this year?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (517)
37.63%
No - but I will (107)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (94)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise